What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy - Boy(?) finds a staircase under ocean/water at his grandfather's(?) house and travels to another world. Read mid-1990s.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments I read this book at a very young age, and it was likely a bit above my reading level. I remember it as a lengthy novel, and I wasn't able to finish it, but keep in mind, I was in elementary school.

The main details I remember are a boy traveling to a family member's house (possibly grandfather). I remember that he finds a staircase descending into some body of water (ocean?). He travels down the staircase and ends up in another world. I believe that in this other world, he meets a boy and girl. There is possibly something mischievous or malicious about the boy he meets. These characters could also be older, but I remember them as youths.

Here the rest of the details get very murky. The main thing I remember is the staircase under the water (a shallow part too I believe), and that the main character's adventures happened in a place reached via this staircase. The book's cover may have also centered around this staircase. I apologize for the lack of detail, but I read this book likely over 20 years ago.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Maybe, Rosie No-Name and the Forest of Forgetting? The main character is a girl, however.

What time period did the story take place?

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments The time period was modern-day if I recall correctly.
Also, the stairs we definitely under/into the water, and likely in the ocean or a large body of water.

Thanks again!

message 4: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Smith | 5 comments Are you sure it wasn’t this one:

Check out Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

Many plot similarities. Sorry don’t know how to hyperlink properly.

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments Unfortunately this is not the one. I don't recall anything about a home for children. More of a fantasy/sci-fi world that the boy ends up in after going through the undersea staircase.

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie (chrissiewhitley) | 139 comments Around what year did you read this book? Do you get the impression it was a new book at the time?

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments I would say mid-90s. I don't remember feeling that it was a new release.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments Also, I had checked it out from my local library and did not own it.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie (chrissiewhitley) | 139 comments The cover looks right, but by the description this guess is a long shot.

House of Stairs

Here's a 1975 cover and then the 1991 edition.
House of Stairs by William Sleator House of Stairs by William Sleator

message 10: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments Unfortunately this is not the book either. I'm really not all that sure about what the cover looked like.

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments Nope, not that one either. If there's one thing a really remember it's that the stairs were into or under the ocean or sea. And I'm not sure that "stairs" was even in the title actually. Thanks so much for keeping an eye out though!

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Charles?

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments yep

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Charles, does the story start on an island?

Does anything look familiar in Collette's request?
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Charles (new)

Charles Cole | 9 comments From what I can remember about the book, what she posted sounds like the closest description of anything so far