Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Best Reads and Recommendations > Goodreads Sci-Fi and Fantasy Week

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
It's Sci-Fi and Fantasy Week on Goodreads! Yay!

I was looking through the GR blog posts, and in particular, I was looking through the comments on the blog and found a few members in this group on there.

What did you guys think of the lists this year?

message 2: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I laughed when I saw the second Uprooted book by Naomi Novik, because so many of us despised the first book (myself included)

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Yeah, I scrolled through the Fantasy Top 50...
- Uprooted and A Darker Shade of Magic are in it; I can understand some people liked those books, but they're NOT best fantasy ever material IMO
- Gaiman! GAIMAN EVERYWHERE!
- Some mangas / graphic-novels infiltrated the list. I'm reading a lot of mangas, and I love 'em, but I don't think they belong in that list either. Heck, give them a list of their own if you must :/
- No R. Zelazny. No S. Erickson.... :'(

message 4: by Silvana (last edited Aug 21, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Ugh, too many UF/paranormal romance. And what's Terry Goodkind doing in there? I won't pick Mort to represent Pratchett. ADSOM? Really? Stephen King....yeah nope. Too many Gaiman. No Bujold. No Mieville. Brent Weeks and PV Brett instead of Robert Jackson Bennet, Brian McClellan, and Daniel Abraham?

This is why I hate lists.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I like the experts recs. But in terms of the other lists same as the others, thought it left out many good stuff. That’s why I don’t add books from lists. I get basically most of my tbr books from this group or Petrik specifically for Fantasy genre 😆.

message 6: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I find often they cater to the more YA inclined population. Yes, they're more accessible to many, but definitely "top reads".

I think once they start picking more diamonds in the rough or underrated books, they'll start appealing to the fans of our genre

message 7: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4357 comments Lists are like awards, very subjective. That's why I don't pay attention to either.

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:38PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Yeah, I felt the same way as all of you. I was particularly disappointed with the "Hidden Gems" blog post. How were books like The Way of Shadows or The Blade Itself, with over 100,000 ratings on GR, even considered?! Apparently they chose from books with under 300,000 "adds" (both "read" and "to read?") Not what I think of when I think of hidden gems...

message 9: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1011 comments Mod
Oh boy, I haven't even checked the lists yet. I will admit that I'm not a Fantasy expert (really getting into the genre more now since joining this group), but sci-fi is my jam! I'm afraid to look though because.... Illuminae.... I'm sure that "masterpiece" is on there .

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I saw it and thought, why waste my time when I know the lists will be BS and get upset over something so trivial.

message 11: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1011 comments Mod
Update: I checked out the sci-fi list and I don't hate it! Not a bad list at all.

message 12: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments Jenna wrote: "Yeah, I felt the same way as all of you. I was particularly disappointed with the "Hidden Gems" blog post. How were books like The Way of Shadows or The Blade Itself, w..."

I was so annoyed by the "hidden gems" list. Raymond Feist? Peter Brett? Joe Abercrombie?? Madness! Definitely need to look a lot lower than 300,000 adds...

message 13: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Virginie wrote: "R. Zelazny. No S. Erickson.."

I'm a big fan of both authors.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Scott wrote: "I saw it and thought, why waste my time when I know the lists will be BS and get upset over something so trivial."

This. I haven't even read it cuz I know I'll probably disagree.