Goodreaders discussion

Editors paid services > Full-Time Fiction Editor Available for Developmental & Line/Copy-Edits. Free samples :)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments Hi everyone! My name is Jennifer and I've been a professional editor for about eight years now. I offer developmental editing and combined line/copy-edits, and I'm also willing to help writers with queries, synopses, or blurbs post-editing. I split my time between a publisher and independent clients, and my specialties include pretty much anything dark and/or speculative, from suspense/thrillers on to horror, paranormal & dark romance or erotica, fantasy, police procedurals, and science fiction. I'm a full-time freelancer, and generally stay booked three-six weeks in advance, but I'm always glad to do a free sample, so don't hesitate to message me with questions. I do only work on Adult and YA material, and when it comes to YA, I only do fantasy, sci-fi, and horror.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments Because of some shifting in my schedule, I have some sudden openings in late October and November, starting October 27th--let me know if you're interested!

I'm also offering first-project discounts to women horror authors, for the first few women horror writers who get in touch with me. I already work with so many horror writers, and adore them all, but recently realized they're all men! In an effort to balance that out, I'm offering this discount to the first three folks who get in touch with me on related projects :)

And, just so nobody feels left out, I'm offering a first-project discount to any non-women writing YA or romance. I know there are men, trans, non-binary and others writing romance, but right now all of my romance nd YA authors are women!

So, feel free to get in touch with details :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am writing a ya novel abou An arranged marriage" and the characters adventures

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments BL wrote: "I am writing a ya novel abou An arranged marriage" and the characters adventures"

BL, when it comes to YA, I only do Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Horror. It sounds like you might be outside of those genres, so I may not be the best fit for you, though you're more than welcome to message me if I'm wrong, and in that case we could start talking details if you'd like.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The characters are fantasy with merfolk, gods,and a shape shifter. The character who is getting married is Coralina a young goddess who is a mermaiid to a merman.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments BL wrote: "The characters are fantasy with merfolk, gods,and a shape shifter. The character who is getting married is Coralina a young goddess who is a mermaiid to a merman."

Ah, okay :) Feel free to send me a direct message if you want to talk about details, logistics, scheduling, etc., or with any questions!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

What is your email?

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments BL wrote: "What is your email?"

BL, I'd rather not post it here in case of it being picked up by scammers. I'll friend you and send you a message now.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments BL wrote: "I messaged you. Did you join tranquil breeze press which is my business?"

Bre, I don't mean any offense, but I'm not comfortable joining a business group at this stage of our communication. I don't spend much time on goodreads, and really limit my participation in groups; I'd want to know more about a press before getting on board with it. Again, no offense.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I like your cat.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments Thanks, BL.

Meanwhile, everyone reading this, the best way to get in touch regarding editing is to send me a direct message here on good reads :) The top few posts here offer information on the genres I work with, my experience, and the few specials I'm offering at the moment :) I do have availability in late October/early-mid November. After that, it'll be more like January/February before I can fit in new clients!

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 2 comments what are your costs roughly?

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Collins (whitewavedarling) | 12 comments Kathryn wrote: "what are your costs roughly?"

Kathryn,

A lot depends on the work itself, which is why I always hesitate to ballpark. My per hour charge is currently 35.00 per hour, and that's generally what I suggest for developmental editing--I can't give an estimate on time without seeing a writing sample, knowing the length of a work, knowing genre, etc. My normal line/copy-editing rate for novels is 10.00 per thousand words, but again, I really have to see a writing sample and get an idea of a work to know whether or not I can offer that rate. I'd say that 85% of the time, that's what I charge, but there are always exceptions. Feel free to PM me with more details about your project and I could give you a better idea of what the cost might be, especially if it's developmental editing you're looking for.