Challenge Corner discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Team Lion King - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 318 (318 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod

Team Lion King:
✔ Sierra
✔ Brittany
✔ Kelli
✔ Kemi
✔ Susan
Julianne
Daniela
✔ Christina
Haven

Please check in with your team by September 1st! :D

Review Link
Spreadsheet Link
(Your ss was made for your convenience and teamwork. If you choose not to use it or prefer to make your own, that is your teams choice. This spreadsheet will not be updated by a mod it is strictly for team member use only. Please let Felicia know if you have any questions, but this should be self explanatory.)

For this challenge, we will be picking one overall winner to pick a book from the prize lists (chosen at random for fairness)! At the end of our Vacation Quarterly Challenge there will be one winner that wins a prize of getting to choose a book from bookdepository.com. They can pick any book up to $10. For this to happen, we will be combining the points from the two month Pageopoly challenge, this Disney challenge, and our Vacation Quarterly together to pick that winner.

message 2: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Aug 21, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

*****Each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one character are completed, reviewed, and put on the teams review thread, a mod will then use random.org again to give the team a new character. Character categories cannot be repeated until all eight categories for that character are used on the teams review thread.*****

Characters:

Snow White
- Apple on cover
- White cover (must be at least 50%)
- Poison in title
- Features dwarves
- The number 7 in title or page count
- Group of people on the cover (more than 2)
- MC has black hair
- Features an evil step mom or a witch

Rapunzel
- Tower on cover
- Thorns on cover
- Over 500 pages
- Star(s) on cover
- Involves discovering something about yourself (true identity, powers, etc.)
- Read a book published in 2010
- Where a character was kidnapped (doesn’t matter what age)
- Character falls in love with a bad guy (villain or just the “bad boy” type)

Cinderella
- Blue cover (must be at least 50%)
- Dress on cover
- Glass on cover or in the title
- Read a classic
- Clock on cover
- A shoe on the cover
- A castle on the cover
- MC is a servant or a maid

Aurora
- Needle or wheel on cover
- Features fairies
- Features a royal family
- Read a fairy tale retelling
- MC lives with a foster family
- MC has blonde hair
- MC goes to sleep (must put page and sentence to count)
- Blue and pink on cover

Belle
- Yellow cover (must be at least 50%)
- Flower on cover
- Candle on cover
- Involving a curse
- Mc goes to a ball/club to dance
- Beast or Belle in title
- Someone is an inventor (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- MC has brown hair

Bambi
- Animals on cover (must be more than one animal on the cover)
- Trees on cover
- Involves hunting
- MC is a prince
- Shifter book
- Features a shy character (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- Brown cover (must be at least 50%)
- Title starts with B

Ariel
- Features mermaids
- Beach on cover/ shells on cover
- Takes place at sea
- Green cover (must be at least 50%)
- Involves transforming
- Water on cover
- MC sings
- Author’s first or last name starts with A

Aladdin
- Lamp on the cover
- Wish in title or in series name
- Features a Genie
- Tiger on the cover or as a pet
- 3+ colors on the cover
- Jasmine is the MC’s name
- MC goes undercover or uses an alias
- Involves traveling or flying

Tiana
- Set in New Orleans
- MC is a waitress or works in a restaurant
- Features a sorcerer (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- A book with a genre minority main character
- Frog on cover
- Title has to have F, R, O, G in it (in any order)
- MC plays an instrument
- Kiss in title

Simba
- Set in Africa
- Any animal in the title
- Best friends to lovers book
- Orange cover (must be at least 50%)
- Author’s initials must appear in SIMBA
- MC works with animals
- The word “King” in title
- Features a battle

Elsa
- Set during winter
- MC is a princess
- Tagged as family (must be on the first page to count)
- Snow on cover
- Queen in title
- Features a love triangle
- MC loses parents
- Character with magical powers

Mulan
- Set in China
- Involving a war
- Dragon in the title or on the cover
- Character in disguise
- Sword on cover
- Features an emperor
- MPG Historical Fiction
- Features a cultural tradition

Hercules
- Greek mythology
- Character has super powers
- Author’s initials must be in HERCULES
- MC must make a sacrifice
- MC gets reunited with loved ones at the end
- Published date ends with a 7 (for example: 2007)
- Fire on the cover
- Features MC getting backstabbed or betrayed

Pocahontas
- Wind in title
- Set in America
- Travel to another country
- MPG Romance
- Gold cover (must be at least 50%)
- Deals with Racism
- Features a grandmother
- Authors Initial must be in SMITH

Tarzan
- Authors initials must be in JANE
- MC is an orphan
- A book translated into english
- Umbrella on cover
- Features a monkey
- Set in either a Britain or Victorian era
- Takes place in a Jungle
- Ship on cover

Merida
- Book set in Scotland
- Scottish MC
- Character who uses a bow and arrow
- Features triplets
- MC has red hair
- Bear on cover
- Features a competition
- Word BRAVE in the title

message 3: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments Hi friends!! I’m excited to start this challenge with you soon!! :)

message 4: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 63648 comments Mod
Kelli wrote: "Hi friends!! I’m excited to start this challenge with you soon!! :)"

Yay! I hope you enjoy the challenge!!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 478 comments Hi everyone, checking in and wishing it was Sept. already so we can start :D

message 6: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell Once Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell As Old As Time (Twisted Tales, #3) by Liz Braswell
If anyone wants to BR them in September? 😁😁

message 7: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz BraswellOnce Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz BraswellAs Old As Time (Twisted Tales, #3) by Liz Braswell
I..."

OOOO I WANT TO! I just got Mulan's book too!!

message 8: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Just a friendly reminder, each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one character are completed, reviewed, and put on the teams review thread, a mod will then use random.org again to give the team a new character. Character categories cannot be repeated until all eight categories for that character are used on the teams review thread.

message 9: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments Alaina wrote: "Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz BraswellOnce Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell[bookcover:As Old As Ti..."

Yeeeeessss!! Lets do it! I may just have to get the Mulan one for my Kindle. I prefer paperback or Kindle over hardcover. Also... A Part of Your World (The ariel one) releases Sept. 4th. EXCITING!!!

message 10: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelli wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz BraswellOnce Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell[bookcov..."

OMG I DIDN'T KNOW THAT! I knew it was some time during that month.. omg I'm freaking out!

message 11: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

I have edited all team spreadsheets to have the new members (if you have had someone new added) in there. If and when new members are added to a team they can go into their teams SS and use the instructions to add their name to their teams SS. :D

message 12: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelli when did you want to read the series??

message 13: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments I don’t have anything else specifically planned for September so I can start right away on the 1st or hold off if you need :)

message 14: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelli wrote: "I don’t have anything else specifically planned for September so I can start right away on the 1st or hold off if you need :)"

we can totally do that :D I'll make the thread right now

message 15: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments @Alaina
Yes! Thanks for making the thread too - I’m excited to start the series and looking at the requirements it should be super easy to find categories for each book to fit 😁😁

@Felicia
Our spreadsheet doesn’t seem to have our 3 chosen characters highlighted in a different color anymore (unless maybe it’s just being weird on my phone...?)

message 16: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Kelli wrote: "@Alaina
Yes! Thanks for making the thread too - I’m excited to start the series and looking at the requirements it should be super easy to find categories for each book to fit 😁😁

@Felicia
Our spr..."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Pretend you saw nothing. Lmfao.

That was a mistake on my part. They weren't supposed to be highlighted. Lol.

message 17: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments hahaha well nevermind then! :)

message 18: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

If you remember then more power to ya, you'll have a one up. Lolol.

message 19: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Felicia wrote: "Kelli wrote: "@Alaina

@F..."

lol

message 20: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Adding Cristina to your team!

message 21: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

HELLO EVERYONE! We, the mods, wanted to let you know some things for this upcoming challenge “point-wise”. So, for graphic novels they will ONLY count for 1/4 page points. Doesn’t matter what character you are on, they will just be page points. Screenplays or verses will count for 1/2 the page points. Then we wanted to be nice and creative because we think if you can find a retelling that fits the character that you are reading for - well, you get an extra point! If you have any questions about the upcoming challenge please go to our Q&A thread and a mod will answer your question in a timely manner 😊

message 22: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 555 comments Hiiii checking in!

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Risko (brisko) | 488 comments Hiiiii, Checking in! (:

message 24: by Brittany (last edited Aug 27, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Brittany Risko (brisko) | 488 comments Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz BraswellOnce Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz BraswellAs Old As Time (Twisted Tales, #3) by Liz Braswell
I..."

I'd be down to buddy read the first 2 because that's all I can find!

message 25: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 555 comments Alaina wrote: "Just a friendly reminder, each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one chara..."

Have the teams been given charactera yet?

message 26: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kk00) | 326 comments Brittany wrote: "Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz BraswellOnce Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell[bookcover:As Old As Ti..."

Hey Brittany! I got my copies from thriftbooks and amazon :) though happy to have you read just the first couple with us too!!! :)

message 27: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Sierra wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Just a friendly reminder, each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categorie..."

Nope! That will be happening on Friday!

message 28: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelli wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz BraswellOnce Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell[bookc..."

I found audios on overdrive and hoopla (from my library) that way I can listen to them while at work 😏

message 29: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 555 comments Alaina wrote: "Sierra wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Just a friendly reminder, each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once..."

Oh good, I was worried I had missed something.

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Risko (brisko) | 488 comments Alaina wrote: "Kelli wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Kelli wrote: "I feel like this would be the perfect challenge to dig into the Twisted Tale series A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell[bookcover:Once Upon a Dream|2..."

I found the first 2 in hard copies at my library, but the audio of the third is wait-listed both at the library and overdrive with like 10 people ahead of me :(

message 31: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Adding Cinthia to your team! Give her a big welcome please! :D

message 32: by Kemi (new)

Kemi Welcome Cinthia!! :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi guys. Checking in. I love the lion king!!! “Mufasa mufasa mufasa!!! Que pasa!?” I love it!!!

message 34: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Hi Team Lion King!

We have had a few people drop out of the challenge and others to join requesting specific teams; this has caused the teams to be quite unbalanced. So unfortunately I am moving Cinthia from this team to Team Beauty and the Beast.

And replacing her will be Haven. Please welcome her with open arms! :D

And thanks for being so patient with us mods. <3

message 35: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 555 comments Felicia wrote: "Hi Team Lion King!

We have had a few people drop out of the challenge and others to join requesting specific teams; this has caused the teams to be quite unbalanced. So unfortunately I am moving C..."

YAY! Thank you for doing that, Felicia!

message 36: by Haven (new)

Haven (havengrace01) | 97 comments Checking in!! Thank you so much for moving things around for me! can’t wait to start reading!

message 37: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Rosas | 85 comments Checking in!!!!
Can't wait to start reading :D

message 38: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

You are welcome guys! 😁

message 39: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Hi Team Lion King! The time has come to announce the characters! Your team's characters are:

Aladdin
Mulan
Merida

Please remember you must start your books after midnight GR time for it to count for a category.

Happy planning! :D

message 40: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 555 comments YAY! These categories are so fun. Can we all read whatever categories we want? like is it okay if two people read the same category? Or should we try to strategize based on what books we all have and try to cover as many categories as we can?

message 41: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Sierra wrote: "YAY! These categories are so fun. Can we all read whatever categories we want? like is it okay if two people read the same category? Or should we try to strategize based on what books we all have a..."

Each character has eight categories. You and your team have to work together to get 4 of the categories for your characters done. Once you get four categories read, reviewed, and then put on the review thread, you will get another character. If you get the same character again you read the other four categories you didn't read the first time around.

You cannot repeat categories until you get a character for a third time.

Does that make sense?

message 42: by Kemi (last edited Sep 01, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Kemi Hey guys, I just received These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1) by Sara Raasch and I thought it could be for the 3+ colours in the Aladdin category. Is that alright?? Also for the travelling one, I would like to read A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas . I am planning to read them but lemme know whether to post it on the reviews! :)

message 43: by Kemi (new)

Kemi Felicia wrote: "Sierra wrote: "YAY! These categories are so fun. Can we all read whatever categories we want? like is it okay if two people read the same category? Or should we try to strategize based on what book..."

Makes sense! ☺️

message 44: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Felicia wrote: "Hi Team Lion King! The time has come to announce the characters! Your team's characters are:

Aladdin
Mulan
Merida

Please remember you must start your books after midnight GR time for it to count ..."

Susan, it's also mentioned here as well :D

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 478 comments I just started Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2) by Tricia Levenseller which will cover the Merida spot for MC with red hair

message 46: by Brittany (last edited Sep 25, 2018 06:24AM) (new)

Brittany Risko (brisko) | 488 comments Here is what we have so far:

Aurora
- Needle or wheel on cover ( Once Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell read by Brittany--REVIEWED)
- Features fairies ( Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) by Melissa Marr read by Susan)
- Features a royal family
- Read a fairy tale retelling ( Hunted by Meagan Spooner read by Haven)
- MC lives with a foster family
- MC has blonde hair ( Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) by Alexandra Bracken read by Agne--REVIEWED)
- MC goes to sleep (must put page and sentence to count) ( Once Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2) by Liz Braswell read by Kelli--REVIEWED)
- Blue and pink on cover

Rapunzel
- Tower on cover ( Lendas e Narrativas by Alexandre Herculano read by Daniela--REVIEWED)
- Thorns on cover
- Over 500 pages ( The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1) by Mackenzi Lee read by Kelli)
- Star(s) on cover
- Involves discovering something about yourself (true identity, powers, etc.)
- Read a book published in 2010
- Where a character was kidnapped (doesn’t matter what age) ( The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4) by Richelle Mead read by Kelli--REVIEWED)
- Character falls in love with a bad guy (villain or just the “bad boy” type) ( The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon read by Agne--REVIEWED)

message 47: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Risko (brisko) | 488 comments Kemi wrote: "Hey guys, I just received These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1) by Sara Raasch and I thought it could be for the 3+ colours in the Aladdin category. Is that alright?? Also for the travelling one, I would like to..."

I made a list below and crossed out what we already have decided. Is it okay if I move yours to the has a sword on the cover for These Rebel Waves instead of 3+ colors?

message 48: by Haven (new)

Haven (havengrace01) | 97 comments I'd like to read Dark Star (Dark Star, #1) by Bethany Frenette for the Mulan category "Character in Disguise"!

message 49: by Kemi (new)

Kemi No problem, looks good so far!! :)

message 50: by si ( ◠‿◠ ) (new)

si ( ◠‿◠ ) (buriedunderbooks) | 555 comments Okay I’m reading Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2) by Kiersten White for either “MPG Historical Fiction” of “Involving a war”! Wherever you want to add me is fine. 💚

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.