What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical fiction, pre WW2. Star of David necklace passed down in multigenerational family in New York. Young man gives wife the necklace, later given to daughter. Concentration camp... Published before 1994. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments I read this at least 20 years ago. It was about a young couple- possibly Jewish immigrants in New York. The man buys the woman a Star of David necklace and she passes it to her daughter years later. The daughter later goes to Europe and is sent to a concentration type camp when her sister n law sees the necklace.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Robbie, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for one specific book.

message 3: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments Thanks so much!

message 4: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments Bump

message 5: by Harper (new)

Harper | 6 comments I think I know which book you are talking about! I'm going to try and locate the link but I want to say the title is The Book of Rachel.

message 6: by Harper (new)

Harper | 6 comments Aha!
The Books of Rachel by Joel Gross
I bought this at a library used booksale circa 2005, and it's stuck on my shelf since then. I believe it is about a diamond that is passed down through a Jewish family through history, so maybe it's the one you were looking for?

message 7: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments It looks so close-but I don’t think it’s the one- this one was centered in pre ww2.

message 8: by Robbie (new)

message 9: by Kris (new)

Please note you can bump your request (post a comment) every 30+ days - or sooner if you remember more information. Not more often because this group is so large.

Tips for posting a book request - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments Got it! Sorry!

message 11: by Robbie (new)

message 12: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments The daughter marries some sort of European prince named Rudy and the sister n law is insanely jealous. When she sees the Star of David necklace she reports her as Jewish and she is sent to a concentration camp.

message 13: by Robbie (new)

message 14: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments I have been looking for a book for years about a couple that fall in love and the young man gifts her a necklace- the book continues for a generation or maybe two and the necklace Is passed down to a daughter. The daughter goes off to Europe where she marries a prince or some similar noble and after falling in love- her necklace causes her to be mistaken for a Jew and she is sent to a camp or prison. She realizes she is pregnant and tricks a guard into saving her. She dies in childbirth but her baby is found by her parents. I have no idea of the name or author- but it would have been published prior to 1994. Thanks so. Uch!

message 15: by Robbie (new)

message 16: by Robbie (new)

message 17: by Kris (last edited Oct 21, 2020 01:01PM) (new)

I added some details to the header at the top of the page, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

- Fiction or nonfiction?

message 18: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments This is fiction.

message 20: by Kris (new)

Here is Amazon's "Look Inside" preview of Chateau Ella by Hilary Norman - Angela's suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Chateau-Ella-H... There are different cover images.

message 21: by Robbie (new)

message 22: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Robbie, did you rule out Angela's suggestion in message 19?

message 23: by Robbie (new)

Robbie | 15 comments I did. I also read the book. It was free on my kindle- not a bad read!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Books of Rachel (other topics)
Chateau Ella (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hilary Norman (other topics)