Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Bodice Ripper Lost & Found > ISO: Classic Gothic Romance!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments The darker the better....

I don't like "clean" Gothic romances. I've read a lot of them over the years, but I know I am missing a few. Crumbling castles, mysterious disappearances, romance/steamy interactions. Thanks guys!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Have you read The Flesh and the Devil by Teresa Denys, first part of the book had a very delicious, dark menacing feel. It would have been great if the entire book felt menacing, but TD hit the ball out of the part with the gothic part of the book.

message 3: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments yep! I can honestly say that book is in my top 5....and it's what got me hooked on BR

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I am not sure if this fits but I enjoyed it , The Shrouded Walls by Susan Howatch.

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments What is a "clean" gothic?

message 6: by Caroline (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:32PM) (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Mel wrote: "What is a "clean" gothic?"

It sounds scary.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Mel wrote: "What is a "clean" gothic?"

“Clean” = no sex.

I have a young lady on my flist who describes herself in her profile as a “strait-laced” Catholic and loves reading HR, but they must be “clean” Also, there is a group on GR for readers of “Clean” romance.

message 8: by Be (new)

Be The Devil Earl (Regency Quartet, #2) by Deborah Simmons Gentle from the Night by Meagan McKinney and I have to add this one (but it's more funny dark) The Demon Count (Demon Count, #1) by Anne Stuart (might be considered clean, but Anne Stuart , her Heroes are dark and mysterious)

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Thank you Andrea for definition. The Shrouded Walls is not a "clean" gothic then.

message 10: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Some of Anne Stuart's early books could be called Gothic and are not "clean" romances.

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments I loved The Devil Earl!

Hot Mess Sommelière ~ Caro | 63 comments This other eden by marilyn harris!

message 13: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments I just purchased The Shrouded Walls looking forward to it!

message 14: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments How about Victoria Holt, hers are definitely clean and she has various eras , mistress of Mellon is kind of jane Eyre meets rebecca

message 15: by Mel (last edited Aug 22, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I think Eliza wants "unclean" gothic.

message 16: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments Correct- I was searching for unclean. I just prefer un-pc in general and a little steamy.

However, I’ve read some Victoria Holt and I did enjoy it!

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Is the Shrouded Walls clean?

message 18: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Well it is old school so sex scenes are not page long and maybe un-pc to a certain extent.

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Not PC is fine, but if they are boring, then I would rather nap.

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments A book is a very subjective experience, what might thrill me, might not thrill someone else.

message 21: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments You're so right, Mel!

Two of my favorite books Lord of Scoundrels and Lemonade are two very controversial books. Lord of Scoundrels not so much, but Lemonade is very dark and has some scenes that do not sit well with all.

I happen to love those books and find the less I try and reason it, the better off I am. We all have different interests and experiences, like you said. It's what makes the world go round!

message 22: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Eliza wrote: "You're so right, Mel!

Two of my favorite books Lord of Scoundrels and Lemonade are two very controversial books. Lord of Scoundrels not so much, but Lemonade is very ..."

I loved both of those books. I mean LOVED them.

message 23: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments I know- me too! I wish I could find several more like them, but nothing comes close!

message 24: by Cat The Curious (new)

Cat The Curious (catthecurious) | 100 comments We need to keep a running list here. Several of my Bodice Ripper friends recommend BlackMaddie and Bledding Sorrow. I gave 3 stars to Blackmaddie because I didn't get into it as much and I didn't finish it. I need to give it another try when I have more patience. I still haven't gotten around Bledding Sorrow by Marilyn Harris. Both of these are supposed to have a huge creepy gothic factor along with bodice ripping.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 25: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments I readBlackmaddie this summer- I gave it 3 stars....I cant really even remember the details. Haven't read Bleeding Sorrow though! Looks intriguing!

And we should keep a running list!! What's the easiest way to get that done?

message 26: by Be (new)

Be I wanted to add Brenda Joyce had a "Deadly" Series Deadly Love (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #1) by Brenda Joyce that was rather dark and steamy- her older stuff would be considered very dark/steamy -- The Conqueror The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1) by Brenda Joyce is one of those books, you either love it (like I did) or hate it (which some do).

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Bleeding Sorrow is definitely gothic in feel. It is on OL if anyone is interested. Got half way then my loan expired and someone else borrowed it, so will have to go back to it.

message 28: by Cat The Curious (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:39PM) (new)

Cat The Curious (catthecurious) | 100 comments Thanks for letting me know Bledding Sorrow is on OL. I have a copy but I like digital books books better. Al. As far as keeping a running list we can do it here and keep it updated. There is a way to do lists where everyone can add books also. I'd have to look it up. Unfortunately, for me I'm short on time.I will try to help with a list as time allows though. You can even create a Group just like Bodice Ripper Anonymous does. I'm not sure what it should be called. Unclean Gothic Historicals? Or Gothic Bodice Rippers. There maybe a group already out there. We would defintely benefit from a group dedicated to preserving the older books not on digital such as BlackMaddie so they can be shared with those who love old Gothics.

message 29: by Cat The Curious (last edited Aug 23, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

Cat The Curious (catthecurious) | 100 comments I have to have a look at Brenda Joyce Deadly series. I love The Conquerer. I wish there were more historicals like it. That book is definitely on the Classic Bodice Ripper list on Goodreads. There is a way to make a running list where anyone can add or vote on books but I have never done it. If you google you get this list. https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/.... Also there is another discussion thread with a list.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
I hope this helps. Anyone can contribute to these lists or make another list if you want to include books that are gothic but not bodice rippers or that are clean. This is the list pasted here. The lady posting is keeping the running list but sometimes she may not be on so someone can take the list and start adding to it here or there. I know Mermarie posted this because she was looking for more to read.
The Silver Devil & The Flesh and the Devil by Teresa Denys
This Other Eden by Marilyn Harris
The Demon Lover by Victoria Holt
Wild Cat by Laura Black
Lily by Patricia Gaffney
Upon a Moon-Dark Moor & sequel Across A Starlit Sea by Rebecca Brandewyne
The Coach to Hell & Satan's Mistress by Rachel Cosgrove Payes* We suspect more.
Eternal Desire by Clarissa Ross
Kashmiri Passions by Clarissa Ross
Camberleigh by Evelyn Grey
Secrets to Keep by Sheila Holland
Blackmaddie by Jean Innes

message 30: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments I would definitely consider the silver devil as a gothic romance. And can I just say that the title is one of my favorites!

My little one just started kinder, so I’ve got some time...sorta! Anyway, I can look around and see what makes the most sense in terms of lists for our findings!

message 31: by Mel (last edited Aug 24, 2018 03:20PM) (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments I will put this book up there but it is not exactly a romance (though it has romantic aspect), more fantasy. It has a very gothic feel in the first book. Dark castle, etc...

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb -Assassin's Apprentice is the first book in series.

Excellent trilogy, rivals Game of Thrones (personal opinion).

message 32: by Mel (last edited Aug 24, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Actually I found in this what has been missing from our historical romances - depth and growth of characters, not that one can always find it in the older romances.

message 33: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments You might try Lydia Joyce, def gothic, largely Victorian era. She does a bit of mystery in storyline but her H and H are usually a bit at odds with each other...then they have sex and a romance does start. Wicked Intentions has semi forced in beginning and a bit nasty; )

message 34: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments Oops, sorry, meant 'H and h'

message 35: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments I just read The Conqueror in about 5 hours....that book was amazing! I loved it!

message 36: by Toni (new)

Toni | 10 comments Mel wrote: "Actually I found in this what has been missing from our historical romances - depth and growth of characters, not that one can always find it in the older romances."

I agree. It has been a struggle to find good romances lately with a just a little complexity of character and real growth—especially in the relationships. I just keep going back and reading my old Judith Ivory and Laura Kindle books. But I have enjoyed Nicole Galland books, which are not romance, but are romantic.

message 37: by Be (new)

Be Eliza wrote: "I just read The Conqueror in about 5 hours....that book was amazing! I loved it!"

Loved that book! Have re-read like 3 times!

message 38: by Be (new)

Be There are a couple more that I just thought of, that have that Gothic feel to them ...... Wicked (Regency Trilogy, #1) by Shannon Drake & Rules of Attraction (Governess Brides, #4) by Christina Dodd and these next three were somewhat dark Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1) by Meagan McKinney When Angels Fall by Meagan McKinney No Choice But Surrender by Meagan McKinney

message 39: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments Finish upon a moon-dark moor! It was good...started off great, but kinda fizzled at the end. Onto the next one!

message 40: by Be (new)

Be I remembered another "Gothic-ish" book from Anne Stuart Cameron's Landing by Anne Stuart - I'm going to have to pull out and re-read something like this... I'm in a reading slump. I love picking up a book and having it grip me from the very beginning and stay that way and not wanting it to end.

message 41: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Summerstorm and Winterscape by Anastasia Cleaver also known as Natasha Peters.

message 42: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Summerstorm is OL.

message 43: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments What’s OL? :)

message 44: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Open Library has lots of older books one can borrow.

message 45: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments Seriously? How am I just finding this out?!

message 46: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Yes, seriously, great site. https://openlibrary.org

message 47: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Actually, just had a look and both titles are on OL.

message 48: by Eliza (new)

Eliza | 233 comments I’ve noticed over the last year people commenting about “borrowing” books but I had no clue what they were talking about! This is a game changer! Thanks!!

message 49: by Mel (last edited Aug 26, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments You are welcome. Have fun.

message 50: by Be (new)

Be wow! Just tried it out, with a non romance and it downloaded into my adobe reader = cool

« previous 1