Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Top Five Hulk Stories

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2923 comments Mod
After Spider-Man the next most popular Marvel character gets a bit murky. While Spider-Man is pretty consistently listed number one on most lists, the next few characters vary on nearly every list I look at. It's probably easier to have a top five without ranking them (which would look something like Spider-man, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Wolverine). With this info in mind, let's talk about the greatest Hulk stories.

I wasn't as in love with the Hulk growing up as I was with many other Marvel characters. However, the Hulk had a TV series from 1978 to 1982 with a fair number of young viewers who fell in love with the character. Following the show were three made for TV movies (1988, 1989, and 1990) and two Marvel movies featuring him with appearances in six of the new MCU films.

None of this film and TV popularity would have been possible without the comic book stories creating and featuring the Hulk. Which stories stick out to you as his best?

Mine would be (in no particular order):

Hulk: The End by Peter David.

Planet Hulk by Greg Pak

The Hulk: Future Imperfect by Peter David

Incredible Hulk: Return of the Monster by Bruce Jones*

I need to read Loeb and Sale's Hulk: Grey, Hulk and Thing: Hard Knocks by Bruce Jones with art by Jae Lee, and Always on My Mind by Paul Jenkins.

*Description: "The emphasis (in this story) is on the profound isolation that Banner experiences while on the run, wanting to make connections with people, but knowing as soon as he does, he will put them in the crosshairs. This is exemplified in a beautiful silent issue that has a girl in a diner quietly watching Bruce as he tries to evade the forces chasing him and then is forced to turn into the Hulk."

message 2: by David (new)

David Norville | 69 comments Planet Hulk
Future imperfect
Hulk The end
Hulk vs Wolverine (first appearance of wolverine)
Hulk vs Groot (early appearance of groot where hulk faces a monster from each of the elements essentially. I believe they used this as inspiration for the Eric Bana hulk movie in the scene by the river

message 3: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2923 comments Mod
David wrote: "Planet Hulk
Future imperfect
Hulk The end
Hulk vs Wolverine (first appearance of wolverine)
Hulk vs Groot (early appearance of groot where hulk faces a monster from each of the elements essentiall..."

I've read Hulk vs Wolverine but not sure if I read Hulk vs Groot. The End really is very good.

There is another story I'd like to check out, "Revenge" which has Hulk squaring off against Abomination that sounds interesting.

Here is a CBR list that includes this story and some of Hulk's greatest moments: https://www.cbr.com/the-incredible-hu...

message 4: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3251 comments Mod
I can't remember if this was a single issue or at least an arc, but early in Peter David's run there was a story where he explained how Bruce's early childhood helped create the Hulk. I believe it also explained each of the other Hulk versions as well. Blew my mind at the time.

Also liked Future Imperfect and to a lesser degree Planet Hulk.