Why Christianity? discussion

Minor topics > Favorite christian apologist?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcusss (new)

Marcusss | 21 comments Mine is Alvin Plantinga.

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
Ravi is the Man.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments I'll vote for Alexandra!

message 4: by John (new)

John | 2 comments Ravi *is* the man! I'll also add Alistair Begg and (on certain things) John MacArthur.

message 5: by Rod (new)

Well said. Even though John MacArthur is more a theologian, pastor and scholar. He is definitely my main source on all defences of Christianity.

message 6: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Just adding to the list: Greg Koukl.

message 7: by David (new)

David Pulliam | 42 comments Josh McDowell and Tim Keller

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Folks - these authors are good for flavor but little else to the thoughtful Biblical explorer. Scientists make an observation; formulate a hypothesis about that observation; and prove or disprove the hypothesis. This takes original thought. Instead of reading commentary, listening to monotonous new-age religious music (read: noise), and believing the tired-old sermons of mind-numbingly dull preachers, believers might try reading ACTUAL Scripture with a critical perspective. Who knows what new insights might emerge if the brainwashed discovered, like the strawman, that they actually had a functioning cerebrum. Maybe altar boys wouldn't be marched to their priestly slaughter anymore.

message 9: by Marcusss (new)

Marcusss | 21 comments Have you read any of these authors Rod?

message 10: by Marcusss (new)

Marcusss | 21 comments Sorry meant to right robert

message 11: by Rod (new)

I don't think Robert has.

Apologists are not the same as scientists.

message 12: by Rod (new)

Robert, why do you assume these apologists don't read scripture and numerous scientific explorations in these areas?
Every good apologists I know indeed does.

The real question is the limits of science. If you disprove Darwin: a million grumpy people will be out of work with egg on their face. Even people who draw unicorns for a living cling desperately to their funding and cred.

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - one can neither prove nor disprove Darwin. He initiated a rather broad theory, some of which is undoubtedly true and much of which is likewise false. As a geneticist, I can make a fairly accurate guess as to which is which, but not with a high enough degree of certainty to discredit him. Until solid proof or a more popular theory supersedes On the Origin of the Species, it remains viable. With regards to Apologists, when they can actually do a quantitative case study, like Darwin did with his finches, I'll pay attention to them, but, until then, they're just commentators profiting from people's gullibility.

message 14: by Marcusss (new)

Marcusss | 21 comments Has anyone heard of Richard Swineburn? Or perhaps even read him?

message 15: by Rod (new)

I believe Swineburne is a Christian philosopher. He's very concerned with the philosophy of science.
His name pops up everywhere.

I think I heard him on the "unbelievable" show.