The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 30.2 - MAZZA1's task: TENNIS MEMORIES

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
30.2 - MAZZA1's task: TENNIS MEMORIES

For the second year running I was lucky in the ballot for Wimbledon Tennis Championships. This year I got tickets for MENS SEMI FINALS day and What a day it was. We were there from 1030 until 2300 and saw some or all of 3 matches.
• This is a two book task from Different options. Required: State which options you chose when you post.
• Page count must equal at least 600 pages
• Our day was all about the men. So, ONLY MALE authors will work. If you read a book with 2 or more authors, ALL must be Male.
• To truly represent Wimbledon and its Colours ONE of your books must have GREEN or PURPLE (I will accept Violet) on the cover. This need not be the whole cover just an object or part of it will do
Required: Include the green or purple book cover when you post.

Option 1
Play on centre court starts later than on the outside courts so we went to watch the start of a Gentleman’s Invitation doubles
Jeremy Bates and Andrew Castle v
Mansour Bahrami and Goran Ivonisovich

Bahrami is an entertainer and comic and the match was really fun to watch – it was a shame to leave but the Semi’s beckoned

In honour of the Comic of the Invitation doubles read a book with MPG Comedy/Humor.

Option 2
The first Semi Final was also the longest match of the day played between
John Isner and Kevin Anderson
which went to 26 – 24 in the final set – overall they played 99 games to complete the match

To remember the longest match of the day read a book whose page numbers include 2 of the numbers 2, 4, 6 OR includes 99 intact in the page numbers e.g. 249; 426 or 299 all fit

Option 3
We saw the first 3 sets of the match between
Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovitch
with the roof on centre court. This match went on until the latest allowed finishing time of 2300 This is the first time I have watched with the roof on the court

Read a Book where the title has three words or more and all the words in the title start with a letter from CENTRE COURT ROOF (letters can be used only as many times as they appear in the phrase; subtitles can be ignored)

Option 4
To celebrate all those fabulous sportsmen, read a Book written by a single author that shares first and last initials with one of the players we saw: AC, JB, MB, GI, JI, KA, RN, ND. Initials may only be used in the order shown.

Option 5
We walked to the tube station in the dark thank goodness for London transport we arrived tired and hungry at our hotel at 0030
In honour of our Journey to and from London and then Wimbledon read a nonfiction book with the MPG Transport.
Ex: Street Smart A Fifty-Year Mistake Set Right and the Great Urban Revival by Samuel I. Schwartz The Geography of Transport Systems by Jean-Paul Rodrigue The Big Roads The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighways by Earl Swift Human Transit How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives by Jarrett Walker

message 2: by Marie (UK) (last edited Nov 06, 2018 02:50PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments for Colour approvals
PURPLE
Panther's Prey (Leo Maxwell #4) by Lachlan Smith Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane, #1) by Christopher Brookmyre So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams Going Postal (Discworld, #33) by Terry Pratchett

GREEN
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman Короли и капуста. Рассказы by O. Henry The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1) by Jeff Giles The Vinyl Cafe Notebooks by Stuart McLean Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis The Green Man by Kingsley Amis Murder at the 42nd Street Library (42nd Street Library Mystery #1) by Con Lehane Don't Make Me Pull Over! An Informal History of the Family Road Trip by Richard Ratay

message 4: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments REMEMBER ONLY MALE AUTHORS

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7925 comments yay! you just solved my problem for where I could fit The Devil's Punchbowl - by Greg Iles - yay for option 4

message 7: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 21, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Dee wrote: "yay! you just solved my problem for where I could fit The Devil's Punchbowl - by Greg Iles - yay for option 4"

Dee I am so pleased to have solved a problem for you I am always happy to help

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7925 comments is humor ok - or does it need to be humour?

message 9: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Dee wrote: "is humor ok - or does it need to be humour?"

humor / humour doesn't matter its only the difference of "crossing the pond"

I think GR will miss out the U all the time

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7925 comments just checking :)

message 11: by Andy (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:15PM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3692 comments Colors are hard for me so I need to know whether you will agree that this cover is partly purple. It has a male author , # pages Of GR is 256(my copy with the same ISBN has 244) but both # work for option 2 Panther's Prey by Lachlan Smith by Lachlan Smith.
Thanks,
Andy

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3980 comments And ... assuming "HUMOR" is acceptable for "humour" for a main page genre ...

Please confirm HUMOR for
Carrying Albert Home The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator by Homer Hickam and A Lesson in Hope (Hope, #2) by Philip Gulley

message 13: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Andy wrote: "Colors are hard for me so I need to know whether you will agree that this cover is partly purple. It has a male author , # pages Of GR is 256(my copy with the same ISBN has 244) but both # work for..."

i would say just looking at it there is a purple background - tin eye calls it violet but that is OK so yes i would say that is good to go

message 14: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Book Concierge wrote: "And ... assuming "HUMOR" is acceptable for "humour" for a main page genre ...

Please confirm HUMOR for
Carrying Albert Home The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator by Homer Hickam and A Lesson in Hope (Hope, #2) by Philip Gulley"

both fit the genre

message 15: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Could you please verify Короли и капуста. Рассказы for humor MPG and for green on the cover. Thanks.

message 16: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Rina wrote: "Could you please verify Короли и капуста. Рассказы for humor MPG and for green on the cover. Thanks."

agreed

message 17: by Amy (last edited Aug 21, 2018 01:26PM) (new)

Amy | 1437 comments Is there enough green behind the letters in the title to qualify? I'd like to use it for option 3.

The Edge of Everything eSampler by Jeff Giles

message 18: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Amy wrote: "Is there enough green behind the letters in the title to qualify? I'd like to use it for option 3.

The Edge of Everything eSampler by Jeff Giles"

the edition you have linked to is only 43 pages and so won't work I assume this is just the wrong link can you retry

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1437 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Is there enough green behind the letters in the title to qualify? I'd like to use it for option 3.

the edition you have linked t..."

Let's try this:

The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything, #1) by Jeff Giles

message 20: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 21, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Amy wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Amy wrote: "Is there enough green behind the letters in the title to qualify? I'd like to use it for option 3.

the editio..."

yes tin eye shows green and works for option3

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3692 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Andy wrote: "Colors are hard for me so I need to know whether you will agree that this cover is partly purple. It has a male author , # pages Of GR is 256(my copy with the same ISBN has 244) but bo..."

Thank You.

message 22: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please verify the following book for option 1?

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

There's a bit of green grass on both sides of the road.
It's been shelved as humor by 258 users

Thanks!

message 23: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Pia wrote: "Can you please verify the following book for option 1?

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

There's a bit of green grass on both sides of the road.
It's been shelv..."

agreed green and humour

message 24: by Shala (new)

Shala | 72 comments Would this work for Option 3? Since it is hyphenated I wouldn't count the "h"?

The False-Hearted Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery, #2) by John J. Lamb

message 25: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Shala wrote: "Would this work for Option 3? Since it is hyphenated I wouldn't count the "h"?

The False-Hearted Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery, #2) by John J. Lamb"

YES That will work

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments Please note Spectacles for Humor? Thank you!

message 27: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Valerie wrote: "Please note Spectacles for Humor? Thank you!"

Spectacles is humour BUT not a male author all books must be written by male authors.
"• Our day was all about the men. So, ONLY MALE authors will work. If you read a book with 2 or more authors, ALL must be Male."

message 28: by Marie (UK) (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Wayne wrote: "Are the words The and Joseph sufficient in The Orenda by Joseph Boyden to fulfill the green requirement?"

the letters on the book you linked look black to me BUT tin eye does show some green, with background colours eliminated this is only 1.6% and I am not convinced looking at it that this is in the letters. I think you would be better with something more obvious - IF you do use this you would have to submit the tin eye details

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16729 comments Mod
Wayne wrote: "If we're going to use TinEye to make color judgments, we will have to make sure that that the moderators and the competitors are using the same ISBN..."

When you post a cover task, you're supposed to include the cover of the edition that you actually read. This is the cover that the mods would be using to verify your posting.

message 30: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Wayne wrote: "Interesting . . . with background colors and interior background colour omitted, I get the following.

#af150c40.9 %Fire Brick (Red)
#8e8a7129.7 %Bitter (Green)
#0d0d0d20.3 %Black (Black)
#4e4d3d9...."

Wayne I used the cover you included in your question to the naked eye this looks black. We discussed when setting my task up if we would need to use tin eye and decided it would be unnecessary in most cases,and so it wasn't included in the task requirements.

If i followed the discussion I had in setting up the task I would have to say no to the book because I see no green. I know this is more difficult to see on screen than when you have the book in your hand which is why I said you might include the tin eye information in your post.

I am sorry that the colour requirement makes it more difficult to fit books to the task but i think that is the nature of the challenge

message 31: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Wayne wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Wayne wrote: "Interesting . . . with background colors and interior background colour omitted, I get the following.

#af150c40.9 %Fire Brick (Red)
#8e8a7129.7 %Bitter (Green)
#0d..."

they all work for colour and I have noted them for humour as well

message 32: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2579 comments Marie, with the page count option, am I right in thinking that a book with 399pages would be OK, as it meets the 2nd half of the OR requirement, which only requires 99 in the page count?

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Please note Spectacles for Humor? Thank you!"

Spectacles is humour BUT not a male author all books must be written by male authors.
"• Our day was all about the me..."

Oops. Completely forgot. Can you note, for humor/comedy,-I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend instead? Thanks

message 34: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Valerie wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Please note Spectacles for Humor? Thank you!"

"• Our day w..."

noted

message 35: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 03, 2018 01:56PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Cat wrote: "Marie, with the page count option, am I right in thinking that a book with 399pages would be OK, as it meets the 2nd half of the OR requirement, which only requires 99 in the page count?"

that would work Cat Sorry i missed this question earlier

message 36: by Trish (last edited Sep 06, 2018 04:28AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Morning.

Option 1: Could I get Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane, #1) by Christopher Brookmyre genre locked for humor (I see 47 users).

Can you also confirm its purpleness (well, violetness, but you said you'd accept that!) on the basis of the title?

TinEye gives me
14.6% Blackcurrant (Violet)
3.6% Topaz (Violet)
0.5% Tyrian Purple (Violet)

Thank you!

message 37: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Trish wrote: "Morning.

Option 1: Could I get Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane, #1) by Christopher Brookmyre genre locked for humor (I see 47 users).

Can you also confirm its purpleness (well, violetness, but you said you'd accept..."

yes that works for Purple and humour genre noted

message 38: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Thank you!

message 39: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments So how much green is needed? Would the cape on this cover work?

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence

Thank you!

message 40: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Shree wrote: "So how much green is needed? Would the cape on this cover work?

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence

Thank you!"

I would say this is green

message 41: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2579 comments Marie, sweetness, please can I get this OKed for humour?
'Broadsword Calling Danny Boy': On Where Eagles Dare
thanks!

message 42: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11026 comments Cat wrote: "Marie, sweetness, please can I get this OKed for humour?
'Broadsword Calling Danny Boy': On Where Eagles Dare
thanks!"

Genre noted. (Marie's due back any day, but I didn't' what it to disappear on you... ;-)).

message 43: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2579 comments Thanks! I'd forgotten she was in her hols!

message 44: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Sorry Cat and Thanks Kristina I am back now

message 45: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 244 comments Just checking if this works for purple?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams

and to make note of humor as genre just in case :)

message 46: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Just checking if this works for purple?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams

and to make note of humor as genre just in case :)"

this is good to go for purple humour Tea

message 47: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 244 comments Thank you :)

Now to find other book.... :p

message 48: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 212 comments Checking to see if this works for green? According to TinEye, it's over 70% green but my eye just says "blue".

Murder at the 42nd Street Library (42nd Street Library Mystery #1) by Con Lehane

message 49: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Alycia wrote: "Checking to see if this works for green? According to TinEye, it's over 70% green but my eye just says "blue".

Murder at the 42nd Street Library (42nd Street Library Mystery #1) by Con Lehane"

it works for me tin eye is saying the lettering is a shade of green there is also some form of greenery on the arch to the left as you look at the picture. The task only needs some element of green I will put it in approvals

message 50: by Nicola (last edited Oct 29, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Does this: Going Postal (Discworld, #33) by Terry Pratchett look purple to you? It looks purple to me, down at the bottom of the page especially but colour is a bit subjective at times.

« previous 1