Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Hypnotist
This topic is about The Hypnotist
Indieworld News & Opportunities > Is writing for teens dead?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments Just ran across this article in The Washington Post...very depressing, to say the least:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/i...

"A new study has alarming findings, but is probably not surprising to anyone who knows a teenager: High-schoolers today are texting, scrolling and using social media instead of reading books and magazines.

"In their free time, American adolescents are cradling their devices hours each day rather than losing themselves in print or long-form media, according to research published Monday by the American Psychological Association.

"In fact, 1 in 3 U.S. high school seniors did not read a book for pleasure in 2016. In the same time period, 82 percent of 12th-graders visited sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram every day."

message 2: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments My daughter is 18 and reads as much as her studies allow. Admittedly, with the high workload of A-Levels she hasn’t got through as many paperbacks as normal but she still takes one with her whenever we go out.

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments D.J. wrote: "My daughter is 18 and reads as much as her studies allow. Admittedly, with the high workload of A-Levels she hasn’t got through as many paperbacks as normal but she still takes one with her wheneve..."

She (and you) are very fortunate!

message 4: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes | 464 comments I can't speak to overall statistics, but in my own family, three of my grandchildren of that age don't read for pleasure and three do. At least so far. Those who don't read books spend more time on their phones than the other three.

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments My 14 year old son isn’t that interested. Can’t win them all. He’s very good at other things.

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments I don't think I've ever seen my own grandchildren reading for pleasure, though both are A-students. One is entering nursing school in two weeks (she spent her weekends shadowing nurses in the ER) and the other wants to be an engineer. Go figure (no pun intended).

message 7: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes | 464 comments I will add that the three who read tend to be more introverted than the other three, which might play into their choices.

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
I tried to get my kids to read for pleasure- They never enjoyed fiction. They are avid non-fiction reads and Michael is a novelist- Double no figure.

message 9: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1769 comments One of my granddaughters, who is 13, reads a great deal of fan fiction online on her tablet. There may yet be ways to capture the attention of teens with literature, but it may often have to be done by sneaky tech-enabled means.

message 10: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Both of my teenagers write fiction. My son only reads non-fiction. The only novel he’s read is Michael Crichton’s Jurassic Park. (Probably so he could correct the descriptions of dinosaurs.)

message 11: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn Wood | 54 comments Theodore wrote: "Just ran across this article in The Washington Post...very depressing, to say the least:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/i......"

I read so much I got into trouble for it, but I'm not sure that the 60% of kids reading years ago is true. There is a problem in analysis based on asking people what they do.

All said and done it is worrying not least because reading fires imagination and, mostly, expands the mind. I think as or maybe more serious is the decline in using writing instruments. There is a brain connection between thought, eye and writing that is vitally important.

message 12: by Theodore (last edited Aug 21, 2018 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1432 comments Evelyn wrote: "Theodore wrote: "Just ran across this article in The Washington Post...very depressing, to say the least:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/i......"

The writing issue is another problem, to be sure. Beyond that, even when kids use a keyboard, they use shortcuts...BCNU and all that stuff I was using when I sent Morse code as a teenager on the 80m Novice band in 1952 and they use in everyday conversation (read: texts) today. But they use if virtually every day, if not every hour these days...not something that'll go over bigly with their future employers, for sure.

message 13: by Shari (new)

Shari Sakurai (shari_sakurai) | 5 comments This is sad to read :( I read so much when I was a teenager. My favourite pastime was curling up with a point horror and putting some music on!

message 14: by Erica (last edited Aug 21, 2018 07:34PM) (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1496 comments Mod
I volunteer with 7th-12th graders and I would say only about 15% of them admit reading for enjoyment.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread