Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Are Graphic Novels cheating?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Do you count graphic novels\comics as books or are they consider cheating?

message 2: by Dean_o (new)

Dean_o | 13 comments For me personally, as long as something is listed on Goodreads I can count it towards challenges. There shouldn't be any such thing as 'cheating' when it comes to reading really. We all do so much reading that never gets registered. The tons and tons of fanfics for example. Still reading.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (p34cht34) | 11 comments Defintely not. You're steal reading and enjoy and consuming a story. Just because there are more pictures and not as many words than a regualar book doesnt make it any less a novel.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (p34cht34) | 11 comments Still* (not steal aha)

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (p34cht34) | 11 comments Enjoying* not enjoy .. i need to get more sleep

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Peppercorn  (kiwicanread) | 62 comments It's impossible to cheat at reading.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bowe (sarahsbookstack) no....if there are words (whether you read it or hear it) it counts

message 8: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 113 comments Kristen wrote: "It's impossible to cheat at reading."

Agreed. All mediums and styles you choose are still reading.

Melanie (TBR and Beyond) (tbrandbeyond) | 28 comments There are no rules, just elitists who try and push imaginary ones onto people.

message 10: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloecherrypepsi) | 0 comments Nooo. They are books. And a lot of them actually have a ton of dialogue so they're not all just mostly pictures.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments I count them towards my challenge too, as do I count companion short stories (I've recently read one with only 42 pages). But sometimes I feel like I cheated tbh. Not in a bad or shameful way, but I think about it.

message 12: by Creative Orange (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:34AM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I don't think it is cheating. As long there are form of literature text. If there is no any writing and just pictures it doesn't count.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments You are still taking your time to read the manga/comic book so it isn't cheating in my opinion. If I am reading it I normally read one or two per week. I haven't read one since May though.

message 14: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments i just feel like the idea of 'cheating' at reading is so ridiculous. i assume you mean in the sense of 'should it count towards your goodreads challenge' but even then ...your challenge is just a personal motivator, like you aren't 'competing' with other people [or you shouldn't be, it should just be for fun] so saying that reading something short or with pictures is 'cheating' has always been baffling to me.

message 15: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments If it is a book challenge I assume any books will do.

MyOwnBookAdventures (lunamyownbookadventures) | 11 comments Reading is reading. Graphic novels are just as amazing as any other type of book <3

message 17: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 80 comments Reading is reading. Anything I can count on my Goodreads challenge I do. Graphic novels, short stories, all reading. If someone reads fanfic it's still reading even though it isn't counted on here. Audio books count. You can't cheat at reading, no such thing. :) Stories in all formats can be amazing stories.

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana Gisser (deekgee) I only just started reading graphic novels and I feel they definitely count as reading, however if it's for anything like a challenge that involves a page count I feel that it should have to be longer since there's a lot fewer words per page. As I get older I've become a let less pretentious about reading - graphic novels, fanfics, audio books, even some Podcasts - all count in my opinion now. I definitely agree with Stephanie that you can't cheat at reading

message 19: by ElsaMakotoRenge (new)

ElsaMakotoRenge (mantaicysnowflake) | 31 comments They totally count as books. I like reading manga.

message 20: by Nyla (new)

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 71 comments Devann wrote: "i just feel like the idea of 'cheating' at reading is so ridiculous."
I totally agree. There is no such thing as "cheating." This is not a competition. Goodreads is your tool to use the way YOU see fit.
Side note: In 2006, I wrote my master's thesis on the topic of graphic novels. So I guess I have been advocating for them to be treated as "real literature" for a while now!

message 21: by Nyla (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Nyla Panzilius (nylap) | 71 comments Melanie (TBR and Beyond) wrote: "There are no rules, just elitists who try and push imaginary ones onto people."
I have to tell you, I love the way you put this. Down with literary elitists!

message 22: by Iris (last edited Aug 23, 2018 01:21AM) (new)

Iris Schechter I recently saw an interview from the 1964, a medecine student deploring the paperbacks, because it gave access to reading to people who "didn't need it".
Nowaways there are those who look down on the e-readers.
There will always be people to judge you. Screw them.
As for me I was a bit sad that my bf always told me he liked to read, but never took the time to actually do it (I offered him a book about a year ago. He still hasn't finished the first chapter xD). But together we discovered the world of graphic novels, and it has been a real enlightment for me. Not only did it change the childish view I had of it, but I discovered a whole new way of storytelling, it's also a different way of reading, and I consider myslef richer for it.

message 23: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Sure they are easy reads but I still count them as books.

message 24: by JoAlice (new)

JoAlice No, It's considered reading.

message 25: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) There's no such thing as "cheating" when it comes to reading. All forms of books are books including audiobooks. Book Riot just put out a really great article about this specific question: https://bookriot.com/2020/01/22/treat...

message 26: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Elise (sashaghostbooks) | 5334 comments No. All reading is reading to me. From Graphic Novels to Text Books to Fanfiction. I have seen so much Teen Wolf fanfiction on this website. Someone worked hard on that so you could consume it

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 152 comments Graphic novels count as books- they have words too! They just express the story with an artistic flair.

message 28: by 我是&#x1f339; (new)

我是&#x1f339; | 5769 comments I agree with Cat, well said.

message 29: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Finnigan (sugoishawn) | 738 comments I don't consider them to be cheating