Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Hugo awards: women clean up as NK Jemisin wins best novel again

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3893 comments Mod
N.K. Jemisin wins her third Hugo in three years for The Stone Sky as women of color rack up most of the top spots:

https://www.tor.com/2018/08/20/announ...

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicae) | 495 comments Outstanding!! A very rare hat trick in literature. These books will become canon in Scifi/Fantasy. Amazing!!

message 3: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments Fantastic!!! Her Broken Earth books are so, so good!

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2892 comments Mod
Great News!!!

Also to note for me was the winner of John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer:

Rebecca Roanhorse - a Black/Indigenous writer whose debut book Trail of Lightning was published in June.

and

The World Science Fiction Society (WSFS) Award for Best Young Adult Book [Not a Hugo Award]

WINNER: Akata Warrior, Nnedi Okorafor

Nnedi is the author of September book - Binti.

There are other AOCs in the list but wanted to also point out these two authors.

message 5: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments I’ve read each of these award winners, and all are worth reading.

message 6: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments I am so happy about N.K. Jemisin's three-peat that I could dance! No author ever has won the Hugo for Best Novel three times in a row before! I have read a whole lot if science fiction in my life and her trilogy is flat out brilliant. So well deserved!

If anyone wants to hear Rebecca Roanhorse award-winning story "Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience", it was Episode 25 on the podcast LeVar Burton reads. It's good!

And, of course we've read lots of Nnedi Okorafor's wonderful books here. Ths was the best Hugo Awards ever!

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2892 comments Mod
Read N.K. Jemisin’s Historic Hugo Speech

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...

message 8: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3893 comments Mod
Beverly wrote: "Read N.K. Jemisin’s Historic Hugo Speech

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s..."

Beverly, I was not prepared for that at all. What a speech!
Thanks so much because I might have missed this one.

message 9: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments Is it just me, but when I got to this point in her acceptance speech, I got tears in my eyes:
But this is the year in which I get to smile at all of those naysayers—every single mediocre insecure wannabe who fixes their mouth to suggest that I do not belong on this stage, that people like me cannot possibly have earned such an honor, that when they win it it’s meritocracy but when we win it it’s “identity politics” — I get to smile at those people, and lift a massive, shining, rocket-shaped middle finger in their direction.

message 10: by Monica (last edited Aug 21, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

Monica (monicae) | 495 comments I saw the speech on youtube and it was amazing. So on point, just like her novels. To those who don't follow the scifi world a few years ago there was a very familiar attempt to hijack the Hugo Awards (an award like the Oscars in the scifi world. It is what scifi authors aspire to win). Anyways, as a microcosm of the real world, a very small number of embittered authors (no they weren't white males, why do you ask?--/sarcasm) felt that women and minorities were getting an unfair advantage in nominations and evaluations. I believe the term "political correctness" was even used as a description. So they mounted a coupe of sorts with the voting of the nominations. They formed a coalition of voters called "The Sad Puppies" who voted by block instead of considering the stories. Several inappropriate stories were receiving nominations. It got so bad that they declined to award winners one year. Ultimately, some new rules were applied and in actuality the scifi community combined to overcome the Sad Puppies. This is a true story (though severely lacking specificity and context in the interest of brevity) and it is what Jemisin is talking about in the penultimate paragraph of her speech.

message 11: by Lata (new)

Lata | 293 comments I figured she was referring to the whiny babies/Sad Puppies.

message 12: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Moore Lata wrote: "I figured she was referring to the whiny babies/Sad Puppies."

Honestly, the most pathetic part about all that is the fact that Correia only did this charade to boost sales of his books.

Props to George R. R. Martin for calling out the hypocrisy of these @$$clowns.