Gothic Fiction Read-along 2018 discussion

Book Discussions > The Haunting of Hill House

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Aug 20, 2018 04:13AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments We will be discussing The Haunting of Hill House here, starting on the 11th of October. A live Skype chat will be arranged nearer the time.

message 2: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Just seen that they’ve made this into a Netflix show - out on 12th October. Apparently it’s a modern reimagining of the Shirley Jackson novel.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Yes. And it's already a film. Can't wait to read it and then watch them all!

message 4: by Leigh (new)

Leigh I might have to listen to this on audio if I don't hear from the library by the end of the week. 'The Silent Companions' is in though ready for collection.

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh My copy arrived from Amazon today. I’m surprised there isn’t a few pages of introduction before the story starts. I’m more than happy though as I’m going into this blind knowing nothing about it.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments yes I know nothing about it either. did you read We Have Always Lived in the Castle with us a couple of years ago?

message 7: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "yes I know nothing about it either. did you read We Have Always Lived in the Castle with us a couple of years ago?"

No, I joined in last year. Worth a read?

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments one of my favourite books.

message 9: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachie_reads) | 3 comments Hopefully Amazon will send me my correct copy in the next couple of days. Quite bizarrely they sent me Ken Kesey's One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest!

message 10: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Rachael wrote: "Hopefully Amazon will send me my correct copy in the next couple of days. Quite bizarrely they sent me Ken Kesey's One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest!"

Cuckoo’s Nest is a brilliant read in itself. If you’ve not read it, I’d recommend it. But alas, it’s not gothic 😂

message 11: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments Jenny wrote: "one of my favourite books."

Me too! Have high hopes for this book!

message 12: by Leigh (new)

Leigh So tomorrow we start!

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Today's the day. I hope you enjoy The Haunting of Hill House a little more than Frankenstein :D

message 14: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (abigailemann) | 1 comments I started it a little early and finished it this morning! Just had a quick look at the new Netflix trailer and it seems like an entirely different story, except for the 'haunted house' trope.

I found it deeply unsettling. Who knew atmospheric descriptions of architecture could do that..!

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Abigail wrote: "I started it a little early and finished it this morning! Just had a quick look at the new Netflix trailer and it seems like an entirely different story, except for the 'haunted house' trope.

I fo..."

Oooo I'm intrigued. Have you read We Have Always Lived in the Castle, it's one of my very favourite books!

There's an old film of The Haunting of Hill House too.

message 16: by Catherine (last edited Oct 11, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Catherine (happygoluckycat) | 3 comments I started it this weekend and am reading a little before bed each evening, which I'm both enjoying and finding slightly unnerving!

message 17: by Leigh (new)

Leigh This narrator is brilliant! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM_fz6...

message 18: by Leigh (new)

Leigh One chapter in and I am loving it. I am listening and reading along at the same time. It’s beautifully written. Very eerie. I’m getting major Hitchcock ‘Psycho’ vibes.

message 19: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachie_reads) | 3 comments I'm a couple of chapters in and am really enjoying it, very atmospheric, beautifully written, really interested to see where it's going.

message 20: by Leigh (new)

Leigh I can’t put it down. It is beautifully written. I’m going to read some more of her books if the story is as good as this one.

message 21: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeadrift) | 3 comments After Frankenstein, this book is such a pleasure to read. (: So far, I am loving the descriptions, and the sense of foreboding. (just a chapter in)

I enjoy Eleanor as a character. I share her sense of imagination and longing for adventure. She's someone you want to root for, but I am also very worried for her.

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I'm a bit behind on this one, but hoping to catch up this evening. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it so far. For those that are interested my online book club are discussing The Haunting of Hill House on Friday evening at 8pm (GMT). If you would like to join in please feel free to join our Slack group.

message 23: by Leanne (new)

Leanne | 13 comments About three quarters of the way through now and really enjoying it. Can't wait to see where it'll end up!

For those interested in film as well as books - the horror episode of Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema is worth a watch on BBC I-Player. It includes a reference to how this book has impacted the genre.

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leanne wrote: "About three quarters of the way through now and really enjoying it. Can't wait to see where it'll end up!

For those interested in film as well as books - the horror episode of Mark Kermode's Secr..."

I keep meaning to watch that after hearing him talk about it on the Film Review podcast.

message 25: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments I've got some 20% left of the book. I like it, but I thought there were more scarier parts. The first one however scared me alot ':D Wasn't very keen on reading the book late at night after that!

I love mrs Montague! She's so annoying! :D

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments For those joining us for the live chat this evening, we're online now in the Slack group.

message 27: by Jeni (new)

Jeni (jeni_says_so) | 16 comments Leanne wrote: "About three quarters of the way through now and really enjoying it. Can't wait to see where it'll end up!

For those interested in film as well as books - the horror episode of Mark Kermode's Secr..."

Oh thanks, I will have to give it a look!

message 28: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachie_reads) | 3 comments I enjoyed this book so much; I wasn't sure that I would. I felt pulled into the house along with the characters, the atmosphere was so claustrophobic and brilliantly described. I wondered if I would be a little blase about the scary bits after reading more recent written horror stories but this certainly wasn't the case. In true classic horror style I found myself holding my breath sometimes. I think I need to read more of her books... just add them to the ever increasing tbr pile!

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I didn't enjoy this one as much as We Have Always Lived in the Castle but it certainly led to lots of discussion in our book club chat. She really is great at making a spooky old house seem alive.