Gothic Fiction Read-along 2018 discussion

Book Discussions > Frankenstein

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments We will be discussing Frankenstein by Mary Shelley here, starting on the 1st October. There will also be a live Skype group chat, to be arranged nearer the time.

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Not long until we start the Gothic Fiction Readalong. I hope you've all managed to get hold of a copy of Frankenstein. Feel free to start discussing the book here on the 1st. Please hide any spoilers in your comments.

message 3: by Leigh (new)

Leigh You’re reading the revised version aren’t you Jenny?

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "You’re reading the revised version aren’t you Jenny?"

Oh man. I still haven't checked. Wish the internet would just tell me. It's the one on the group home page if you can work it out :D

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Leigh wrote: "You’re reading the revised version aren’t you Jenny?"

Oh man. I still haven't checked. Wish the internet would just tell me. It's the one on the group home page if you can work it ou..."

Oops! there are many copies out there, so I can see why it might cause confusion. I checked for you a little while ago. ;-) From what I can see, we are going to be reading the 1831 edition which includes slight revisions by Mary Shelley. From the Amazon link for that, there is a free e-book of the 1831 edition which everyone could download. I have yet to find an audiobook of the revised edition, but yay, at least the book is free! :D

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Leigh wrote: "You’re reading the revised version aren’t you Jenny?"

Oh man. I still haven't checked. Wish the internet would just tell me. It's the one on the group home page if you ..."

Thank you Leigh, you're a star. And today's the day!!

message 7: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Today is the day and it's been a long time coming!!

message 8: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeadrift) | 3 comments How is everyone getting on?

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Hello! How is everyone doing? Have to admit to only just starting, but also feel like a numpty, as I had no idea it was so old, or written in letter format!!

message 10: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Hello! How is everyone doing? Have to admit to only just starting, but also feel like a numpty, as I had no idea it was so old, or written in letter format!!"

Hey guys. I went into this completely blind knowing nothing of the story, so you aren't alone there, Jenny! I've read the first four letters, and now I'm onto the actual story. It's very dense material, isn't it?

message 11: by Nibedita (new)

Nibedita Deb | 3 comments Hey all, I am new to this group. Excited! Just grabbed an e-copy of Frankenstein. :) Any movie / series recommendations based on this book? Has the Skype discussion already been completed for this book?

message 12: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Nibedita wrote: "Hey all, I am new to this group. Excited! Just grabbed an e-copy of Frankenstein. :) Any movie / series recommendations based on this book? Has the Skype discussion already been completed for this ..."

Hi Nibedita, and welcome! There are a few films out there based on the book - the earliest is dated back to 1910, would you believe? I don't think there'll be a Skype chat for the books. Discussions will take place in the relevant threads on here.

message 13: by Nibedita (new)

Nibedita Deb | 3 comments Hi Leigh, thanks so much! 1910...wow... I also googled it up a bit - seems like it's a much-celebrated classic. Will drop in my thoughts soon. And look forward to reading what everyone has to say about it!

message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments Hi! So I’m not the only one who hasn’s read Frankenstein before? I’ve had a slow start and just began reading chapter 3. A bit surprised about the narrative but I like it.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Nibedita wrote: "Hey all, I am new to this group. Excited! Just grabbed an e-copy of Frankenstein. :) Any movie / series recommendations based on this book? Has the Skype discussion already been completed for this ..."

Hey Nibedita, I don't think I'll organise Skype chats this year. They're a but of a nightmare to co-ordinate.

message 16: by Hope (new)

Hope (hopeadrift) | 3 comments I read it last year. It took awhile to get used to the writing style. Shelley did not skimp on words.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments A few chapters in now. I think I'm enjoying it. The start has reminded me of Dark Matter by Michelle Paver, which I read last October.

message 18: by Rebecca Jean (new)

Rebecca Jean (rebecca2006) | 1 comments Hi! I have not read Frankenstein before either! I am about half way now, and I am enjoying it. I found the start a bit slow, but now it has picked up a bit :) How are everyone getting on with it?

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Rebecca Jean wrote: "Hi! I have not read Frankenstein before either! I am about half way now, and I am enjoying it. I found the start a bit slow, but now it has picked up a bit :) How are everyone getting on with it?"

I think I'm in the slow bit, I'm hoping it isn't going to be a slog. I found the opening letter really intriguing but the pace has really slowed down since I've gotten to the actual story.

Has anyone seen the film Mary Shelley?

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments P.S. if any of you are interested, I've just started a Slack community for people to come together and chat all things books, films, reading and writing. I'll be running my book and film club over there and potentially the Gothic Readalong next year. You're all welcome to join in. The group is here. Plug over :D

message 21: by Leanne (last edited Oct 05, 2018 03:42AM) (new)

Leanne | 13 comments I read it a couple of years ago. From what I remember it does take a while to get into but once the story picks up is much more enjoyable.

Yet to see any of the films or tv series though!

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leanne wrote: "I read it a couple of years ago. From what I remember it does take a while to get into but once the story picks up is much more enjoyable.

Yet to see any of the films or tv series though!"

I didn't know there was a TV series. I went to see Benedict Cumberbatch in the play a few years ago, which was great, but now I can't remember the story. Other than the obvious.

message 23: by Jeni (new)

Jeni (jeni_says_so) | 16 comments It’s picking up a bit now. Either that or I am getting more into it. Found it a bit of a chore at the beginning.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4 comments I've finished the book (only because I started early 🤔) I found the start slow and also some of the letters towards the end. A little too descriptive for me to keep the concentration. I've definitely read it before but had forgotten most of it. I found myself getting so frustrated with Victor.

message 25: by Nibedita (new)

Nibedita Deb | 3 comments this is a very different book! probably unlike anything I have read.

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Hall (ashleyhallpw) | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book. It was a re-read, but originally I found it completely different to what I was expecting. I liked the writing style, Victor could get a bit annoying at times.

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments I'm falling behind! Oops. Only one thing for it, audio on double speed :D I'm not massively motivated to pick it up I have to say. Struggling with the overly descriptive language, finding my mind wandering. A lot!

message 28: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "I'm falling behind! Oops. Only one thing for it, audio on double speed :D I'm not massively motivated to pick it up I have to say. Struggling with the overly descriptive language, finding my mind w..."

I have found it best to read it in small chunks. Saying that, I’m only up to Chapter 10. If you find audio of the 1831 version, please let me know, Jenny.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm falling behind! Oops. Only one thing for it, audio on double speed :D I'm not massively motivated to pick it up I have to say. Struggling with the overly descriptive language, fin..."

I've got an audible account. I'm listening to the one narrated by Dan Stephens. Who knows if it's the right version. It's the same story so far :D

message 30: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm falling behind! Oops. Only one thing for it, audio on double speed :D I'm not massively motivated to pick it up I have to say. Struggling with the overly descriptive..."

I’ve found free audio available as a podcast on iTunes (thanks LibriVox). I wish Dan Stephens or Derek Jacobi were narrating it though. 😉

message 31: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments This is a very slow read for me. It has, as many has said earlier, a way too descriptive language. I only read a chapter or so at a time so I'm a bit behind (50-60 pages left). I don't think it is a bad book however but Shelley could have done so much better with it.

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Leigh wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm falling behind! Oops. Only one thing for it, audio on double speed :D I'm not massively motivated to pick it up I have to say. Struggling with the over..."

Get it on double speed :D

message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Camilla wrote: "This is a very slow read for me. It has, as many has said earlier, a way too descriptive language. I only read a chapter or so at a time so I'm a bit behind (50-60 pages left). I don't think it is ..."

I agree Camilla. Not my cup of tea. finding it a slog.

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments The audio is making things easier actually folks!! Thumbs up for Dan Stephens :D

message 35: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments So I just finished. Must say that I found it a bit theatrical.

message 36: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Also finished. Need to process it all now.

message 37: by Leigh (new)

Leigh I heard the song ‘Monster Mash’ yesterday for the first time in ages. The first character who popped into my head was Victor! 😂

message 38: by Jade (new)

Jade Scott (jrs55) | 1 comments I have almost finished. I should be done by the end of tomorrow and quite frankly, I’m glad. There is only so much of Victor’s whining I can take! I know he’s been through lot, but he does like to indulge in self pity a little too much . The fact that he thought he was suffering more than Justine, a woman facing execution (“The tortures of the accused did not equal mine”) shows (in my opinion) that he is somewhat self absorbed.

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Jade wrote: "I have almost finished. I should be done by the end of tomorrow and quite frankly, I’m glad. There is only so much of Victor’s whining I can take! I know he’s been through lot, but he does like to ..."

I was saying that it's like reading the most self absorbed auto biography ever written!! I may not reach the end...

message 40: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Jenny wrote: "Jade wrote: "I have almost finished. I should be done by the end of tomorrow and quite frankly, I’m glad. There is only so much of Victor’s whining I can take! I know he’s been through lot, but he ..."

You can’t give up on it now Jenny. You’ve come so far. Stick with it.

message 41: by Leigh (new)

Leigh I am so glad though to be done with it. Victor is so whiny. I mean, who doesn’t love a good moan, but he really takes the biscuit. That being said, I had to stop reading ‘Wild’ by Cheryl Strayed (non-fiction) earlier this year because she came across so self-absorbed that I wanted to shake her. And Cathy from ‘Wuthering Heights’ was the same. It must be a trope of gothic fiction.

message 42: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments I noticed that I started comparing Victor to a really irresponsible parent. Abandoning your child, let it live as an outsider and then feel sorry for yourself when it turns evil.

message 43: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Camilla wrote: "I noticed that I started comparing Victor to a really irresponsible parent. Abandoning your child, let it live as an outsider and then feel sorry for yourself when it turns evil."

That’s a great analogy, Camilla.