Gothic Fiction Read-along 2018 discussion

The Raven
This topic is about The Raven
Book Discussions > The Raven

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments This thread is for discussing The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. We will be reading and discussing this poem throughout the month of October. Leigh has recommended listening to the poem being narrated, whilst reading it. This is a great tip if you don't read a lot of poetry. I believe there are editions with Neil Gaiman, Christopher Walken, Christopher Lee, Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones narrating, all available on YouTube.

There will be no Skype chat for this group read.

message 2: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments Feel free to start discussing The Raven here on the 1st October.

Leigh I listened to James Earl Jones recite this as I read along. I really enjoyed it as it wasn’t time consuming. It gave off the perfect amount of creepy vibes. Atmospheric. And I still don’t like birds! 🙈😂

message 4: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 183 comments does it sound like darth vader reading it to you? :D

message 5: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (the_reading_cat_) | 14 comments You're not talking about the one that is animated by the Simpsons? James Earl Jones is reading that one and I love it :D I've listened to/watched that one and the one with Neil Gaiman. A bit spooky and definetly worth listening to several times.

Leigh Camilla wrote: "You're not talking about the one that is animated by the Simpsons? James Earl Jones is reading that one and I love it :D I've listened to/watched that one and the one with Neil Gaiman. A bit spooky..."

No, I've not seen the Simpsons episode that you're referring to, but there are many recordings of the poem on YouTube to listen to. He narrates it brilliantly.

Leanne | 13 comments Read the illustrated poem last night - very atmospheric and the illustrations are amazingly gothic.

Did have the Simpsons episode in my head though!