Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Wilson | 109 comments Hi Soph, I have a historical fiction with a fantasy element I would love you to beta read. I will PM you more details.

message 2: by Djj (new)

Djj Mizzi | 7 comments Hi Soph.
I have a YA medieval fantasy 82K MS. I know you said that you can't offer much feedback in the YA genre, but that's okay! All I'd ask is for you to fill in a short, easy survey, takes five minutes, and it'll just ask you basically what you enjoyed or didn't enjoy about the story. It won't be anything in depth, I've asked some of my 13 year old beta readers to fill in this survey for me. Anyway, please let me know via reply in this thread if you'd be interested. Here is a short synopsis:

Naphtali is an ordinary boy, who lives an ordinary life as a blacksmith’s apprentice with his aunty in the city of Aldun. Naphtali hates it, he yearns for adventure. But Naphtali has no overwhelming skills, nothing that makes him stand out; there seems to be no way of escaping the mundane grip that life has on him. The Dragon Slayers are quiet and mysterious although their skills are renown throughout the land. They keep to themselves. They don’t talk about their guild. They don’t talk about their training. Torin is one of those Dragon Slayers. One night, Naphtali finds himself locked outside the city gates with his cousin Korah. Torin is also sent out that night in hunt of a dragon causing trouble in the farmlands. When the dragon attacks Naphtali, Torin watches unseen from the shadows, curious as to how the boy will handle the situation. There was nothing special in the way that Naphtali moved, nor in his fighting technique and ability; but Torin sees something in Naphtali that cannot be taught. Absolute persistence. Torin saves Naphtali, and leaves him with an offer to join the Dragon Slayers.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony B | 4 comments Hi Soph,

If you're still interested in beta reading, I'd love for you to check out my book! I'm going for a more traditional Fantasy adventure that you may enjoy.

Blurb:

As the daze from the fall fades, Grin sees the cave entrance high above. He made it. He’s inside the mountain. As he enters the tunnel down, Grin remembers his father’s command: “Find the man in the mountain, get his power, and help me finish the war your grandfather started.”

“Or don’t return.”

But when Grin meets Mar, the old man underground, he’s not given power. He’s given a walking stick and a task: find Mar’s son. If he can complete this rite, Mar promises him power. Power enough to help his father win his bloody war. Or power enough to stop him, should Grin finally stand against the most powerful man in Aunhem. With nowhere left to go, Grin accepts Mar’s mission. The old man marks the ground with glowing runestones, preparing a ritual, saying nothing more to aid Grin’s quest.
Grin is transported to the land of Urhem, a magical place where humans are a rarity and gods walk the earth. It’s a place where he meets all manner of creatures, friendly or otherwise. There’s Rahmi, a surly puppet who claims to be a cursed prince; the imprisoned Wishweaver who desires only freedom and revenge; the colossal Clay King, whose army of misshapen children kidnap travelers to work in his mines.

Throughout Grin’s journey he is hounded by D’jenn, a moon-masked figure who will trade anything for the walking stick Grin carries. But why is the stick so important? It thrums with hidden strength in Grin’s hands, but does little else. Who is the mysterious Mar, and how can Grin find his son? To complete his quest, Grin will employ the only asset at his disposal: an eternal supply of politeness.

THE LARK OF URHEM, complete at 143,000 words, is a departure from the grim brutality of recent fantasy. Our hero doesn’t slit every throat he finds. He just wants to help, if he can.

If you're interested, please pm me!

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 103 comments Hi Soph,

I have a Gothic historical in need of a beta reader. It's approximately 14,000 words long, so it's a shorter read. I'm looking for someone with an eye for plot, condensing words(I can be verbose sometimes), and overall character development.

Please email me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com if you're interested! Thanks :)