Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 9th mini poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Aug 21, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "second" per user
- If you suggested or seconded a topic in the 8th mini-poll then you must wait 24 hours before doing so in this one (8am GMT+1 on Tuesday / 3am EST Tuesday)
- Suggestions close after 20 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- We are now allowing linked prompts within the regular polls (2-3 total prompts). We are slightly behind in the total number of prompts due to some polls resulting in fewer than 4 results. So do not worry about the effect that linked prompts will have on our timeframe.
- Suggestions can only be submitted a total of 3 times. If a suggestion has been entered 2 times, you must wait until at least the 10th mini-poll to re-submit. So far this includes:
* A book related to a zodiac sign
* A book by an author from an island
* A fiction and non-fiction book on the same topic
* A book from the ATY list of "lesser known" books
* A Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction winner or shortlist
* A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity
* A book published in a year important to you (i.e. graduation, child birth, marriage anniversary, etc.)

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread once 20 seconded suggestions are received.

Poll Entries:
1. a book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet
2. a book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life.
3. two books - one inspired by the word high and one inspired by the word low (eg title, author, setting, # of pages, highbrow/lowbrow)
4. a portal fiction
5. a book that is “good for you”
6. a book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)
7. a 20th century classic
8. a book from The Millions' Most Anticipated lists
9. two books: A book with a female protagonist & a book with a male protagonist who are in the same profession
10. a book with a circus/carnival/amusement park setting
11. a book that names a drink in its title
12. a book related to social justice
13. a book set in extreme weather (cold, heat, rain, drought, etc.)
14. a a book about royalty (fiction or non-fiction)
15. a book about or related to immortality
16. an experimental book
17. a book set in or written by an author from a country with a red, white and blue flag other than US and UK
18. a book by, or about, a current or former journalist
19. a Bildungsroman
20. a Victorian or neo-Victorian related book

Available to be seconded:
* two books: choose a year and read one book by an author born in that year and one book by an author who died in that year
* a book with a main character involved with the legal system
* a book with an unforgettable first sentence
* a book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) I would like to suggest a book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet ( I think we probably all have at least one of these!)

message 3: by Mercedes (last edited Aug 20, 2018 12:18AM) (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) This is my first time suggesting a topic, so forgive me if it's posted in the incorrect link. Here it goes:

A book that names a drink in its title.

Non alcoholic/Alcoholic, everything goes, including water and milk.

message 4: by Ira (new)

Ira | 308 comments A book with a criminal character (i.e. assasin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 606 comments Two books: A book with a female protagonist & a book with a male protagonist who are in the same profession

message 6: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 473 comments A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life.

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments I suggest 'A 20th century classic'.

Here is a list with examples: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 8: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments haha we can stop the ideas now because ALL of these sound awesome to me and I want to vote for them!!

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 69 comments Seconding the book you have owned for at least a year but haven't read yet.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2785 comments I second the Strong Sense Of Place.

message 11: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments I would like to re-submit portal fiction since it was a close call last poll and I really love those!

message 13: by Ana AZ (last edited Aug 20, 2018 11:15PM) (new)

Ana AZ (anabana_a) | 518 comments A book that is "good for you"

This can be very open to interpretation. It can be self-help, educational, spiritual, must-reads, a book with a topic related to something you're currently going through, or even the favorite book of someone close to you and you want to relate better with that person by reading it.

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I'd like to suggest a multi-week prompt of Highs and Lows:

1) A book inspired by the word High (Title, Author, Setting, # of pages, or a highbrow novel)
2) A book inspired by the word Low (Title, Author, Setting, # of pages, or a lowbrow novel)

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill | 638 comments Tammy wrote: "I'd like to suggest a multi-week prompt of Highs and Lows:

1) A book inspired by the word High (Title, Author, Setting, # of pages, or a highbrow novel)
2) A book inspired by the word Low (Title, ..."

I second this suggestion.

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 2189 comments Sheri wrote: "I would like to re-submit portal fiction since it was a close call last poll and I really love those!"

I second portal fiction.

message 17: by Hélène (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Hélène | 175 comments I second a book that is "good for you".

message 18: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Ira wrote: "A book with a criminal character (i.e. assasin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)"

Seconded! I love this idea.

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina | 135 comments Hilde wrote: "I suggest 'A 20th century classic'.

Here is a list with examples: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/..."

I second this one.

message 21: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments A book that has a family tree in it

message 22: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
A book from The Millions' Most Anticipated lists

The Millions is an online magazine that does book reviews and features. This includes monthly, bi-annual, and annual lists of the most anticipated book releases. Many of them are found here: https://themillions.com/?s=most+antic...

The lists contains both fiction and non-fiction, including memoirs.

message 23: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments I cannot second but I wanted to say that I love The Millions Most Anticipated lists so I love this suggestion! I go through them carefully as soon as they are released, and add lots of books to my TBR - they are all in Listopia list form too.

Second half 2018: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

First half 2018: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I'm sure you can all Google to find the rest.

message 24: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Great suggestions everyone. The first post is now updated with all the poll entries and suggestions available to be seconded.

Clare, I’m sorry but as you seconded a prompt last week you’ll have to wait until this thread has been open for 24 hours (3am EST on Tuesday) before you can submit a suggestion this time.

message 25: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Hilde wrote: "I suggest 'A 20th century classic'. "

I assume this doesn't have to be an "old" book but could include modern classics as well. I found this list of 100 Must-Read Modern Classics. The parameters for the list are books that were published between 1951 - 1997. I am certain there are many other lists of modern classics, also.

message 26: by Martha (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 362 comments I second The Millions Most-Anticipated list.

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments I second a book from The Millions' Most Anticipated lists

message 28: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Kathy, Martha seconded that literally a minute before you so I’ll take Martha’s second and you’re free to suggest or second another prompt if you’d like to.

message 29: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 409 comments A book by a current or former journalist.

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments I second this one:

* two books: A book with a female protagonist & a book with a male protagonist who are in the same profession

message 31: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I second a book with a circus /carnival /amusement park setting

message 32: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Joyce wrote: "A book by a current or former journalist."

I believe I seconded one last time so I can't second this yet, but can I ask that it be worded "by or about" a current or former journalist? I have a biography of a journalist that I'm really looking forward to reading!

message 33: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments dalex wrote: "Hilde wrote: "I suggest 'A 20th century classic'. "

I assume this doesn't have to be an "old" book but could include modern classics as well. I found this list of 100 Must-Read Modern Classics. Th..."

I agree, a modern classic will absolutely fit! Thanks for the additional link :)

message 34: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Loving the list so far and it looks like this will be a tough voting week.

I've been thinking of the various highs and lows and another idea I thought would be interesting is a book about a person or place on the high end of the socioeconomic range and one on the low end.

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Mercedes wrote: "A book that names a drink in its title.

Non alcoholic/Alcoholic, everything goes, including water and milk."

I second this one. I just went through my TBR & searched words like "water," "milk," "juice," "tea," "lemonade," "vodka," "gin," etc., and was surprised at how many I was able to find on my list.

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Ooh Rachelnyc, I love that interpretation.

message 37: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Can I resubmit the suggestion for a book about/related to immortality? Cant remember how it was worded or if anyone has a suggestion as to how to word it to make it more appealing?

Dalex, any list magic for this one?

message 38: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8322 comments Mod
I can't second, but I definitely agree with Cheri that the prompt should may be be "by or about" a journalist or reporter!

message 39: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 20, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Rachelnyc wrote: "Loving the list so far and it looks like this will be a tough voting week.
I've been thinking of the various highs and lows and another idea I thought would be interesting is a book about a person or place on the high end of the socioeconomic range and one on the low end.

OMG, I love this interpretation and I already have an idea of exactly what I would read 😊

message 41: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Pick a year. Read a book by an author who was born in that year and one by an author who died in that year.

message 42: by Evelyn (new)

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments I think we had this last year or the year before, but I will suggest a book about royalty, fiction or non-fiction.

message 44: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8322 comments Mod
*Considering setting an alarm for 2 AM so that I can jump into this thread* 🙃 this waiting is for the birds!

message 45: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

More great suggestions, I’m already finding it hard to choose and we haven’t even filled the poll yet.

Tracy - I’ve used the wording in your post but let me know if you’d like to change it.

Joyce - as a couple of people have suggested it, would you be happy to change your suggestion to a book by, or about a journalist?

Chinook - I changed the wording of your suggestion slightly for clarity, hope that’s okay.

Emily - don’t do it! We still have eight spaces left and in any case there’s always the next poll! ;-) Perhaps I value my sleep too much to contemplate a 2am alarm!

message 46: by dalex (new)

message 47: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 742 comments What would we do without you dalex? Thanks for the links and lists!

message 48: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 409 comments Totally happy to change it, so I suggest a book by or about a journalist.

message 49: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

dalex wrote: "Tracy wrote: "Can I resubmit the suggestion for a book about/related to immortality?

Dalex, any list magic for this one? "

Bahahaha! Here ya go:

10 Books on Immortality That Teach Us About Bein..."

LOL, thank you ;-)

I forgot about Forever by Pete Hamill, thats been on my actual bookshelf.....forever haha.

The Octavia Butler looks interesting also, although the 2 I had in mind were The Immortalists and Suicide Club.

And lets not forget about Vampires......

message 50: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments Immortality can also include the search for the philosopher's stone through alchemy. There are some books listed on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy...

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.