SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > "Tehanu" by Ursula K. Le Guin (BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments Who is ready for the BR starting next week?

Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags and refer to chapters/pages for everybody to follow the discussion.

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’ll be there!

message 3: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments Anthony wrote: "I’ll be there!"

Fantastic!

message 4: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Me!!

message 5: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments Allison wrote: "Me!!"

Wonderful!

message 6: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments I'm in!

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Jeebus! I'm not 10 minutes in and it is grim!

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Wow, I'm 15% in (are there chapters? I'm listening to it and haven't heard a chapter mentioned)

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments @Allison I haven’t started it yet, but my ebook copy has chapter titles, but no chapter numbers. Perhaps the reader states the titles without distinctly differentiating them? Would you want me to post the titles with spoiler tags for future reference? I’d be happy to.

message 10: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh, that would be lovely, thank you! No rush. I'm listening and it's short, so I can always hang on to my thoughts a bit.

message 11: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Or check out the Kindle preview/sample on Amazon for chapter titles. Are you listening to the Jenny Sterlin audio?

I finished chapter 4. I have to take a break, all this crying can't be good for me. I've read this many times before, but it still gets me every time. It being everything.

message 12: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Yeah, I tried that, and I found something that might be chapter titles but also the site looks sketch. For whatever reason, I can't get the chapters on Amazon, which is another reason I was unsure if this was one of those freeform books!

No, I'm listening to a man read it. He's...okay.

message 13: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Oh that sucks, here's the TOC:

A BAD THING
GOING TO THE FALCON’S NEST
OGION
KALESSIN
BETTERING
WORSENING
MICE
HAWKS
FINDING WORDS
THE DOLPHIN
HOME
WINTER
THE MASTER
TEHANU

message 14: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Thank you!

message 15: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

The first chapter is indeed very aptly named.

message 16: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Now that I know what they are, I can hear the narrator say them. He doesn't pause or anything, so it's hard to distinguish.

Thanks again!

message 17: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Sorry I hadn’t checked back in after making the offer. Thanks for picking up my slack, Anna!

Seems very strange indeed that they wouldn’t try harder in the producing of the audiobook to honor the breaks Le Guin built into her text. Kind of lame if you ask me.

message 18: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments I finished chapter 3 (should be around 12 - 15%, my version has another total number of pages than the linked one)

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Yes, Gabi! I loved that part (view spoiler)

message 20: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anthony wrote: "Thanks for picking up my slack, Anna!"

No problem, it was just a copy/paste.

I suspect the audio Allison is listening to is older? Maybe it used to have pauses, but they were lost at some point, if it was originally on a physical media.

message 21: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments How do you guys keep up with all these buddy and group reads lol. Honest question! I’m only about to start Ammonite and Kraken now, seems I’m doomed to be behind, haha.

message 22: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

I don't! lol. Several that I wanted to join in on got ambushed by things like my confounded human need for sleep. This one's short, though, and I can knock it out in audiobook so it doesn't conflict with my Ammonite reading time, which is already stealing my WoT reading time, and fighting with my Poppy War reading time...

message 23: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Dawn wrote: "How do you guys keep up with all these buddy and group reads"

We don't, we regularly break down sobbing and have to drop planned reads. Maybe it's just me.

message 24: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Practice, practice, practice!

message 25: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments :D Determination! Tbh, I was on vacation for 2 weeks and now came home sick, which means I lie in bed and read. As soon as my Job starts again the real challenge starts, cause I'm interested in nearly every BR plus the group reads and some of the re-read.

message 26: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

I read myself nearly to death last year trying to keep up with all the things. That resulted in several months of staring at the walls and listening to the same audiobooks over and over. I remind myself periodically (and publicly) that the whole point of reading is to enjoy it, not achieve certain levels of progress in my spreadsheets!

message 27: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments I’m glad I’m not the only one then! I’ve stopped watching all the tv shows I usually watch just so I can keep up with the reading, haha.

Anthony, you don’t count, your reading speed is out of this world ;-D

Oh btw. Should the Earthsee books be read in order, unlike the Hainish cycle books, I mean?

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Dawn wrote: "Should the Earthsee books be read in order"

Yes.

message 29: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Dawn wrote: "I’m glad I’m not the only one then!"

You are definitely not the only one.

message 30: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Thanks, Anna. That’s saves me from stressing about this one as I haven’t yet read the other books. Whew XD

message 31: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments @Dawn ah but Dawn you definitely should think about reading these books. They’re utterly beautiful. No pressure or anything...

message 32: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Doooooo ittttttt.

do it! do it! do it!

message 33: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Don’t worry, guys, I definitely will, I love Le Guin! Just want a couple of books done with first so I can join the conversations about them :D Just started on Kraken!

message 34: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments Chapter 4:
First half: Yup, Allison, I get what you mean.
Second half: so beautiful! Like a painting with words.

message 35: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments Just a quick question: "milch" goat - is this the typical English expression (I've read it in Doomsday Book as well) instead of "milk"? I was wondering, cause it's a German word.
(And on with reading... Somehow I'm under the spell - again)

message 36: by Opal (new)

Opal (thebookishowl) | 2 comments Is it too late to join the buddy read?

message 37: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Not at all! Please hop in!

message 38: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Also, Gabi, I'd never heard of a milch goat as a thing in English. The internet tells me that a milch goat may be a sort of breed? Some sort of Indian...dairy goat?

message 39: by Karin (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments I spoke German when I was little and know that Die Milch is the German word for milk (okay, Milch is, but you have to know the grammatical gender of the word which is feminine because it's Die in the nominative case--aka subject in English), but in English it can refer to any animal that produces milk--I've seen the term milch cow as well before and that is not a breed. It can also refer to a breed of goat, but not one from England or Europe, so you'd have to check the usage for the time in which that part of the book is set. It could also be any goat that is milked for human consumption.

message 40: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Milch cow? Not milk cow? I have never heard that. Or at least never seen it; I don't suppose I'd be listening for the phonetic difference between milch and milk in conversation.

I just googled it and apparently that is in fact a term! I still haven't ever heard/seen it, but I guess I've never had the pleasure of an extensive conversation about dairy production.

message 41: by Karin (new)

Karin | 773 comments Allison wrote: "Milch cow? Not milk cow? I have never heard that. Or at least never seen it; I don't suppose I'd be listening for the phonetic difference between milch and milk in conversation.

I just googled it ..."

I've done a LOT of reading of classics and older things, so have come across it. It is not pronounced like milk in English. Milch is in the online Oxford English Dictionary and there is a sound recording of the word--it doesn't say archaic there, but it does imply that in American dictionaries.

message 42: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Lol, yes, Karin. German is one of my languages :) But In my part of the world, most people pronounce things with the local accents, so milk and milch would sound pretty similar.

Next time I find a dairy farmer, I'm going to sound so professional!

message 43: by Karin (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:29PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Allison wrote: "Lol, yes, Karin. German is one of my languages :) But In my part of the world, most people pronounce things with the local accents, so milk and milch would sound pretty similar.

Next time I find ..."

Okay, but odds are if you live in the States, they won't use it and might not have heard it--but it could be fodder for conversation (unintentional animal pllay on words with fodder, but left in on purpose).

I really am a geek with reading and always have been (shocking in a scifi reading group, I know) and who knows where I've read this term or why I've read it enough that it is familiar to me when I was born a stone's through from the Pacific Ocean and grew up where logging, fishing and tourism were the three biggest (still are) industries. Not farming. Plus a year in Germany and 3 in San Francisco during my dad's 3 different sabbaticals while I was growing up.

message 44: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:36PM) (new)

Eh, if they don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain how it's likely not used here, and a big time reader of old non-American sci fi gave me the OED definition, and then we'll have all learned something. ;-D

I would say though that milk cow or dairy cow, or--my personal favorite--moo cow is more common in the US at least. I'm not sure if it makes more or less sense to assume Earthsea would prefer American English to other forms of the language, but I do hope you choose to interpret milch cow as moo cow going forward.

I am dreading finding out what sorts of things happen in a chapter called Worsening :( :(

message 45: by Karin (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Allison wrote: "Eh, if they don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain how it's likely not used here, and a big time reader of old non-American sci fi gave me the OED definition, and then we'll have all learn..."

Moo cow? That reminds me of small children! In the part of the States I live in it's dairy cow for the most part, or so I think. I haven't heard moo cow, but then this is New England and perhaps in some town it's actually used--after all they still use pocketbooks here.

But I didn't get milch cow from scifi, but from some old classics I am thinking--we did get milch goat from it, though. I am an eclectic reader and was even more so as a teen. I read whatever was at hand that looked good at home, although I bought scifi on my own. We didn't really have a library to speak of but my parents have always been big readers.

message 46: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Haha, mea culpa, I will amend my speech for the future milch cow herder (???) I come across. It's been several decades now without having had to converse about cows, even though I lived kitty-corner to a ranch, so if I get to use this knowledge one time, I'll be pleased.

Oh yes, moo cow is definitely started with children. But I bet I can get a farmer to understand moo cow at least as easily as milch cow. If I find two uh dairymen (????), I'll run an experiment.

But now I'm beginning to feel like this is the llama skit from Monty Python and perhaps we should scoot back to Tehanu-specific conversations. Or at least Tehanu specific goats, whom I adore. I think she's really captured the essence of goats.

message 47: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I finally have some time to dig into this book. It’s been a crazy couple of days...

At any rate, I’m virulently anti-spoiler, so I knew nothing about the subject of this particular book, beyond it being part of the Earthsea Cycle, so I was wonderfully surprised at the end of chapter 2 when (view spoiler) Did anyone else feel similarly?

I also just love Le Guin’s prose so so much.

message 48: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments @Anthony: Yes, me!

@Allison and Karin: wow, I just woke up to the lengthy discussion about milch. Now I've learned something!

@Allison: I didn't find the "worsening" chapter so bad. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 3405 comments I was very moved by chapter 10

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Wow, I missed a milch goat discussion! I've seen milch cows/goats many times in books, I did always wonder why they used the German word, but since I knew what it meant, I didn't really think further about it. Maybe it's one of those tiny details that make things sounds old timey or fantastical?

re: chapter 2 (view spoiler)

re: chapter 10 (view spoiler)

« previous 1