Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Gray House
This topic is about The Gray House
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Gray House [Nov 5, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Nov 5th.

message 2: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments @ idiffer: Are we still on with this BR?

idiffer | 765 comments @Silvana

Yup, can't wait since I ran out of good books to read like several months ago.
Though I can't garantee that I'll have smth interesting to say about the book. I do hope we're not the only ones reading this...
+ This is the first time I'm gonna read the english version of a book written in my native russian (so that there's no discrepancy with the names/terminology).

message 4: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Oh that is interesting, your insights would be very valuable. See you in a few days then :)

message 5: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Machkasov | 2 comments idiffer wrote: "the english version of a book written in my native russian ."
Oh, cool! I'd be interested to know your impressions.
(I'm the translator)

message 6: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I started reading and it seems like it's not an easy book if you are not in the right mood....need to keep track with all the cast of characters and their supposed nicknames.

I love the translation though, great job, Yuri.

message 7: by Yuri (last edited Nov 03, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Yuri Machkasov | 2 comments Silvana wrote: "need to keep track with all the cast of characters and their supposed nicknames"
Fantasy subreddit has just finished reading The House as their book-of-the-month, and one of the participants compiled this list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N...
(and thank you!)

idiffer | 765 comments I'm on page 200 or so. Nothing is really happening, and yeah, the atmosphere is dreary/depressing.
Took a look at that list Yuri provided... I didn't even get that some nicks changed oO.
The translation seems good - if I didn't know this was a russian book, I'd say it was written in english.

message 9: by Silvana (last edited Nov 04, 2018 07:05AM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments That's a helpful link. So I guess I was right when thinking that the chapters have different timelines. The interludes happened earlier when Sphinx got in. Those interludes had been the weirder parts. What was up with Ancient? Why things became more fantastical when he popped up?

You're right, idiffer, it has been really gloomy. And not much plot going on so I guess this is just accounts of days in the House and kids trying to survive in it. While the writing has been good and surreal, at this point honestly I am not sure I could spend another 650 pages of it, how about you?

idiffer | 765 comments @Silvana
Yeah, I dnf'ed it. And there is another reason for it too - my epub file for this book is broken or smth, the last time i tried to open it on my phone, it wouldn't load. I waited for like 5 minutes - nope.

message 11: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Sorry to hear that. I wish I could send you my copy but I got it from Kindle store. I feel bad for not finishing this - I did like the voice and representation here - so I will put it in my postponed/read later list. Maybe someday I could go back and enjoy it more.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 709 comments Silvana wrote: "Sorry to hear that. I wish I could send you my copy but I got it from Kindle store. I feel bad for not finishing this - I did like the voice and representation here - so I will put it in my postpon..."

I didn't finish this book the first read through either, it just didn't fit my mood at the time. Ended up reading it again later and really enjoyed it, but it's a tough read. Even after reading this book twice now, there were a lot of things that people noticed during the reddit read along that I had completely missed. The timeline being all over the place doesn't help either. But if you enjoyed the voice and style it's worth trying to pick up again in the future.

message 13: by Zaara (last edited Nov 12, 2018 11:16AM) (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Wait, I was just coming here to cheer Andy (mainly) but also siscourage everyone else on the thread with some beautiful art from the book...and you ALL dnf'd it together?
😂😂😂...o well, for what it's worth I will just leave this link here, I found it thru one of the Youtubers I sporadically watch...mebbe it will reignite some interest. I only skimmed the page but some of the art on there looked hauntingly beautiful.
https://silviacachia.wordpress.com/ca...
Careful of spoilers ppl...

Darn, I was too late for you...sorry @Andy.
Hope your other reads go better.
How are you going, man?
RANDOM STUFF FOR ANDY NOW THAT THE THRED'S DONE WITH
(view spoiler)

message 14: by idiffer (last edited Nov 13, 2018 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

idiffer | 765 comments I do have a tracker. Sort of. I have a overflowing challenge thread where you can post whatever, and I told you about it not that long ago.
The beard is pretty short, nothing fancy. Mb I'll snap a pic sometime))
Now I gotta go get me some coffee.

message 15: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments How could I forget your challenge? I named it Nat Geo, remember?
Talk to you when I'm back. Didn't want to leave without leaving a small note. Take undue care of the ugly beard 😂😂😂 bye man

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 709 comments Zaara wrote: "Wait, I was just coming here to cheer Andy (mainly) but also siscourage everyone else on the thread with some beautiful art from the book...and you ALL dnf'd it together?
😂😂😂...o well, for what it'..."

This blog is awesome! Loving the artwork! Thanks for posting!

idiffer | 765 comments Z, why are you calling my beard ugly?