Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
This topic is about Magician's Gambit
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Magician's Gambit [Mar 20, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Mar 20th.

Daniel | 1536 comments Hmmm maybe spot?

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Spot:)

Daniel | 1536 comments Yay

Shaitarn | 1970 comments Spot!

Julia | 118 comments Everyone ready to start this on the 20th? I’m just re-reading a novella until I start the Buddy Read.

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes Ma’am ready and willing!

Julia | 118 comments Awesome!

Daniel | 1536 comments Lol...

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Sorry, will be late to the party. Still slogging through Words of Radiance.

Daniel | 1536 comments Yeah that book is days or weeks not a few hours like this one.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Will be reading this soon!

message 13: by Julia (last edited Mar 20, 2019 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia | 118 comments On page 34 and glad to be reading a Belgariad book again 😊

message 14: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments saving a spot :)

Shaitarn | 1970 comments Starting now!

Daniel | 1536 comments Page one

message 17: by Shaitarn (last edited Mar 21, 2019 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shaitarn | 1970 comments Finished it thanks to two long bus rides and waiting around!

I think it's beginning to show it's age (with the tropes and so on) but is still a fantasy classic.

Loriidae | 305 comments Finished my reread via audio (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments This still makes me laugh after thirty some odd years. Feel good fantasy as opposed to grim dark fantasy. Good story fun characters.

Loriidae | 305 comments Daniel wrote: "This still makes me laugh after thirty some odd years. Feel good fantasy as opposed to grim dark fantasy. Good story fun characters."

Definitely I kept interrupting my son's manga reading to play parts of the audio to him especially (view spoiler) as we had loved those scenes when he was a teenager.

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Loridae..I love that scene!! It seems like there are one or two moments from each book that are just so iconic. So glad I decided to read this series again. Like catching up with an old friend..

Shaitarn | 1970 comments Just curious - does anyone else find that the secondary characters in the group (everyone except Garion, Belgarath and Pol) are actually more interesting?

I'm happier reading about Hettar and Barak than the main characters. Not an issue, just a comment.

Daniel | 1536 comments I always found my favorite character to be Silk. Pretty sure Polgara annoys most folks and Belgarion is kinda blah at times...lol

Graeme Rodaughan Silk and I had a soft spot for Mandorellan

Daniel | 1536 comments The whole Arendish population makes for great comic relief. Durnik is a true blessing.. I love the scene from the Mallorean when (view spoiler)

message 26: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Sundell | 105 comments The minor characters are always fun. Queen Poren of Drasnia is always fun. Clearly the most capable of the royal leaders of the West. I love Beldin, especially in the Mallorean. Silk and Barak are clearly patterned after Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, but Silk is so much fun. Where hasn't he been and set up a trade deal or ticked off the locals with his schemes? I maybe one of the few people on here that likes Polgara it seems.

Shaitarn | 1970 comments I know it won't happen now David Eddings is no longer with us, but I would love to read a 'prologue' novel about how the young Prince Kheldar became the spy/thief (and assassin?) Silk, and his early adventures.

Graeme Rodaughan Perhaps another author could do it, but I don't see that happening.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments Starting tomorrow :)

Daniel | 1536 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I know it won't happen now David Eddings is no longer with us, but I would love to read a 'prologue' novel about how the young Prince Kheldar became the spy/thief (and assassin?) Silk, and his earl..."

Sounds like the time for some fan fiction...

Julia | 118 comments On page 145 and I'm loving visiting memories from Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress!

Daniel | 1536 comments I had those on my shelf and didn’t read them for ages, because I knew that would be the end of the adventure. Eddings certainly knew how to captivate readers.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments The ending of this one was a bit abrupt, but I liked the book just like the others.

Where is everyone else at?

Daniel | 1536 comments Finished and Eddings did that pretty much in the second book as well, it just wasn’t as aggregious. This book ended in the middle of a paragraph, or so it seemed!!

Julia | 118 comments 63% done

Graeme Rodaughan I loved this series and read it twice back in the day...

Daniel | 1536 comments Only twice! Slacker...😂

Graeme Rodaughan Yeah ... shame on me

Daniel | 1536 comments Every time a new book came out I would start at the beginning and reread the series. By the time the Mallorean was finished, I had read Pawn of Prophecy at least eight times. Which just proves how awful my retention can be....

Graeme Rodaughan You must read a lot.

Daniel | 1536 comments Used to be a few hours a day. Now it is closer to eight hours a day.
Is that a lot?? :D

Graeme Rodaughan For around here ... probably not.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I used to think I read a lot, then I joined this group...

Daniel | 1536 comments Well I think audiobooks are cheating, but I do understand the attraction. I quit watching Tv this year to see how many books I can read with less distractions...

message 45: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 29, 2019 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 305 comments Daniel wrote: "Well I think audiobooks are cheating, but I do understand the attraction. I quit watching Tv this year to see how many books I can read with less distractions..."

Hmmm not when there's washing to fold, and weeding to do. :)

But I do see that they can be sped up so they are quicker ... but even with that, I read faster than I can listen.

Daniel | 1536 comments That is why I said I can see the attraction, multitasking with chores, work, kids, etc...etc...it wasn’t meant as a criticism towards anyone else’s personal choices Ma’am.

Loriidae | 305 comments Daniel wrote: "That is why I said I can see the attraction, multitasking with chores, work, kids, etc...etc...it wasn’t meant as a criticism towards anyone else’s personal choices Ma’am."

All good, I didn't see it as a criticism merely an observation as was my response. :)

Daniel | 1536 comments Well all good and dandy then...🙏

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments I am only 25% in... It is very funny how the Princess relates to others 😀.... Also, did you guys notice the god Marah's name. Doesn't it mean greaf or sorrow in the Bible as well?

Choko (chokog) | 7768 comments Books are good in all formats🙂! Perfect for bookoholics like the lot of us...

« previous 1