2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Cloud Atlas

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Sep 09, 2018 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss David Mitchell‘s book, Cloud Atlas.

Pages: 509

Length: 1 month

Participants: Julia, Kristin, Mary Pat, Amanda, Randy

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Check out the introduction post (here) for more information about Buddy Reads!

You might also want to check out what other Buddy Reads are scheduled for 2018 here!.

Happy Buddy Reading!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I read this book a couple years ago and loved it. It's so well written it's like eating a gourmet meal, but of course after that it's hard to go back to meatloaf. I'd love to read this one again but it took me months to finish it the first time through. Maybe I'll follow along with the discussion if that's ok?

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1478 comments I'm going to read The Prince of Tides first. Another buddy read and a big book. Then I'll start Cloud Atlas. I've heard a lot about it so looking forward to reading it.

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Randy wrote: "I read this book a couple years ago and loved it. It's so well written it's like eating a gourmet meal, but of course after that it's hard to go back to meatloaf. I'd love to read this one again bu..."

Of course, Randy! I have added you to the list. Participate when you can!

Mary Pat | 2186 comments A co-worker recommended the movie a few months ago and I watched it and loved it. Now I am 34% into the book and feeling that much was missing in the movie. I will definitely re-watch the movie when I am finished with the book!

message 6: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1478 comments I have not got round to reading this book. I'm back studying and my reading time has been greatly reduced :(

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Mary Pat wrote: "A co-worker recommended the movie a few months ago and I watched it and loved it. Now I am 34% into the book and feeling that much was missing in the movie. I will definitely re-watch the movie whe..."

I think the movie makes a great companion to the book. There are a lot of things that have to be changed to shorten the length and make it understandable to an audience that hasn't read the book but they did a fantastic job of hitting the high points while also staying true to the themes of the book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cloud Atlas (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Mitchell (other topics)