Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Ship Broke

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2637 comments Mod
There are a lot of great books where at some point a crucial part of the ship breaks. Sometimes it’s a scary rush to fix it before a collision or before the air goes bad. Sometimes the crew goes into some kind of suspended animation and waits to be rescued. Sometimes it’s just a case of “how can I earn enough cash to afford to fix it?”

What’s one that you enjoy rereading? I’ll start with two, but I can think of so many others....

The Silver Ships (Silver Ships, #1) by S.H. Jucha The Silver Ships by S.H. Jucha

Full Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #3) by Nathan Lowell Full Share by Nathan Lowell

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Aug 20, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

Daniel Strong | 10 comments I apologize for crossing the line media-wise, but I can never resist telling anyone and everyone how much I enjoy the film, Passengers.

(*sneaks out of the room before anyone can yell at me*)
(*sneaks back in*)

okay, for the sake of following proper protocol:
Elizabeth Bear's Dust (Jacob's Ladder #1)

message 3: by Ally (new)

Ally | 97 comments I'm thinking about le Uplift Saga which starts with Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) by David Brin
But I think the damaged ship is in the second book Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) by David Brin

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The Uplift Saga books don’t have to be read in order. I haven’t reread them in decades though. I tried the free preview and just couldn’t get into them.

Another Ship Broke book would be A Galaxy Unknown (A Galaxy Unknown #1) by Thomas DePrima A Galaxy Unknown by Thomas DePrima. From memory there are at least two separate instances of a ship being broken.

message 5: by Chong (last edited Aug 25, 2018 09:42PM) (new)

Chong Go | 22 comments Nathan Lowell wrote a novella called, A Light In The Dark that you might like. (I don't want to give too much away, but a breakdown does feature prominently.)

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 595 comments None of the books I've read in the past few years using this trope have been good, so I can’t recommend any of them.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Aug 26, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1) by Elizabeth Moon Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon, the first book of the Vatta series. Also Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4) by Elizabeth Moon Once a Hero by the same author. Both of these have been group reads before.

I’m not looking for books where this is the main point of the story, just for ones that have it as a key plot point. I loved the way that Full Share did it. “No immediate danger” LOL