SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2)
This topic is about Parable of the Talents
What Else Are You Reading? > "Parable of the Talents" by Octavia E. Butler (BR)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Oct 16, 2018 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Buddy read for Parable of the Talents. Please tag all spoilers and mark with chapter number.

The spoiler discussion for Parable of the Sower is here.

message 2: by Tomislav (last edited Aug 19, 2018 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tomislav | 134 comments Thanks Anna, it has been difficult to discuss Earthseed just on the basis of Parable of the Sower, since so much more is brought out in Parable of the Talents. We will see, I guess, if further discussion happens.

For completeness sake, I will also mention here that Butler had intended for Earthseed to be a trilogy, or perhaps a longer series. She was hit by depression and writer’s block in her later years, and then died unexpected in 2006. Her notes indicate the next volume would be entitled Parable of the Trickster, and if you are curious about where the series was going, you could read this article: https://electricliterature.com/now-mo...

Mostly for my own reference, my review is at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Oct 16, 2018 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read that article when you posted it earlier. I knew there was supposed to be a third book, but didn't know about all the different scenarios! Some of them are pretty wild. I kind of like where Talents ends though, (view spoiler)

message 4: by Tomislav (last edited Oct 16, 2018 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tomislav | 134 comments Finished. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Oct 16, 2018 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

End of book spoilers

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments So who else is reading this? I just started this morning, and (ch 1) (view spoiler)

message 7: by Lars (new) - added it

Lars Dradrach (larsdradrach) | 79 comments I read Parable of the sower late in 2017 and immediately started on Talents, however somehow it did not manage to keep my attention, it felt repetitive and long winded, so it has been on my currently reading list ever since (a personal record) so maybe this it the chance to complete it. I’m at chapter 11, 44 % though.

Gabi | 3405 comments Kaa wrote: "So who else is reading this? I just started this morning, and (ch 1) [spoilers removed]"

Agreed. This added another dimension and made the book for me intense.

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments I'm in chapter 9, 38% through.

I also agree (view spoiler)

message 10: by Mareike (last edited Jan 21, 2019 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mareike | 1420 comments Kaa wrote: "So who else is reading this? I just started this morning, and (ch 1) [spoilers removed]"

I read ch. 1 last night and ch. 2 this morning and just dropped in to say the exact same thing. (view spoiler)

Oleksandr Zholud | 831 comments Kaa wrote: "So who else is reading this? I just started this morning, and (ch 1) [spoilers removed]"

I'm reading it and I agree with what you've said in the spoiler

Mareike | 1420 comments Ch. 4 (view spoiler)

Ch. 5 (view spoiler)

Tomislav | 134 comments Wow. Five months pass, and now everyone is reading it. How could you make yourself wait that long?

message 14: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I also can't fathom how people do that, I think I waited five minutes between these books.

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Because by the time I was reading the first one I alreadt had a lot of other books planned to reas XD And I prefer to schedule my readings, so we all just squeezed in a buddy read when there was time :)

Mareike | 1420 comments I wasn't a member of this group yet when you guys read Sower. But I'm really glad that you all have made me re-read that one and finally pick up Talents.

Ch. 7 (view spoiler)

Oleksandr Zholud | 831 comments Anna wrote: "I also can't fathom how people do that, I think I waited five minutes between these books."

Two things: more than one group read was scheduled at the time and I enjoy discussing. Secondly, it is emotionally powerful books [at least for me they are way above compared with say [book:The Poppy War|35068705], which is not an easy read]

In the early chapters I hoped [irrationally] that this will be a more 'peaceful' volume, but alas...

message 18: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Yeah, I have to admit that these books are a lot to read back to back. I'm through ch 14 (63%) and I think Talents is even more difficult, emotionally speaking, than Sower was. The brutality in Sower started to feel, honestly, pretty distant, but everything happening in this book feels personal.

@Lars: I hope you're able to get through it this time! (re: ch 11/12, not super spoilery) (view spoiler)

message 19: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree completely about this being even harder than Sower.

Mareike | 1420 comments Anna wrote: "I agree completely about this being even harder than Sower."

Yeah, same for me.

After chapter 10 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments @Mareike: (view spoiler)

Mareike | 1420 comments @Kaa: (view spoiler)

Oleksandr Zholud | 831 comments Anna wrote: "I agree completely about this being even harder than Sower."

Fully agree, I even got a reverse reaction toward the end (view spoiler)

Mareike | 1420 comments Ch. 11 (view spoiler)

Ch. 12 (view spoiler)

Ch. 13 This was a tough one. (view spoiler)

Ch. 14 (view spoiler)

Beginning of Ch. 15 (view spoiler)

message 25: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments @Mareike: (up to the beginning of Ch. 15) (view spoiler)

Mareike | 1420 comments @Kaa (view spoiler)

Other thoughts after Ch. 15 (view spoiler)

Oleksandr Zholud | 831 comments re: landslide (view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "I also can't fathom how people do that, I think I waited five minutes between these books."

Ditto! Back to back.

message 29: by Mareike (last edited Jan 27, 2019 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mareike | 1420 comments Ch. 18 (view spoiler)

Thoughts after finishing (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments @Mareike: I am still struggling to put together all of my thoughts about the book as a whole, but (view spoiler)

Thanks for sharing the article about the future books in the series, Tomislav! Based on the ending of this book and the description of the next, Earthseed doesn't feel too incomplete as a duology, although I would have loved to have read the other books she had planned.

Mareike | 1420 comments Kaa wrote: "@Mareike: I am still struggling to put together all of my thoughts about the book as a whole, but [spoilers removed]

Thanks for sharing the article about the future books in the series, Tomislav! ..."

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments @Mareike: (view spoiler)

Mareike | 1420 comments Kaa wrote: "@Mareike: [spoilers removed]"

Yes. (view spoiler)

Bonnie | 929 comments Chapters 1 and 2.
Noooooooooo!
{goes to check publication date of this book}

MAGA:
(view spoiler)

#45's character, on Twitter and elsewhere :
(view spoiler)

Hillary PizzaGate / QAnon / Frazzledrip:
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Bonnie (last edited Apr 26, 2021 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bonnie | 929 comments Mareike wrote: "Ch. 4
(view spoiler)

Chapter 4
Oh yeah, this seems like it will be more grim than Sower.
Foreshadowing? (view spoiler)

message 36: by Bonnie (last edited Apr 27, 2021 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bonnie | 929 comments Mareike wrote: "Ch. 18 (view spoiler)

Chapter 18
(view spoiler)