Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Jurassic Park - Crichton - 4.83 stars

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments I've avoided Jurassic Park as I don't particularly like horror or being scared but recently decided that I really ought to read this book. I like Michael Crichton's writing and needed a horror/series book for a challenge and this was a good opportunity to read this book. I was also very pleasantly surprised to realize this book fits espionage tag for PBT as it deals with industrial espionage. Everyone but me probably has seen the film and knew more about the book than I did. This is a story that was about genetic engineering and was engaging in a very plausible way. I could see this happening. I could see the corporate greed creating Park without considering the potential consequences. The book is a political and a moral statement; I like that about Crichton's books. He makes statements without it ruining the story. It was a great introduction about chaos theory and I learned a bit about dinosaurs that I hadn't fully known. Since it was written in 1990, I thought it was very timely story that still is applicable. It is the first of the series so the book leaves you hanging a bit. Rating 4.83 ( )

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I love this book so much. And the movie. All the movies, but the first one is by far the best. <3

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9056 comments I should reread this one day!

Kristel, I guess you didn't join in on the LT movie night of this one, about a week ago?

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I should reread this one day!

Kristel, I guess you didn't join in on the LT movie night of this one, about a week ago?"

You are right, I didn’t watch the movie. After reading the book, I am pretty sure the movie would make me a wreck.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments The movie is intense! Very very suspenseful.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8418 comments I have never read it, or seen the movie-just don't think I would enjoy it

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments I love the movie (less keen on the rest of the franchise) but the book is even better, as it’s much more detailed about the DNA science and about chaos theory. I read it when it first came out. Finally finished it at about 3am and then lay awake staring at the ceiling and jumping at shadows lol

message 8: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments It’s a really fun read. He makes it feel believable.
I read it few times - but long time ago. (Never liked the movie though)

message 9: by Theresa (last edited Aug 19, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Theresa | 8345 comments I read this years ago and absolutely loved it - so complex yet exciting! I don't remember if read before seeing the first movie or after...my gut says before. Movie was really good too but felt like a fraction of the book. In fact, many of Crichton's most imaginative settings from the book ended up in one of the movie sequels, i.e. the aviary.

I think the movie did a better job of showing the initial wonder at arriving at Jurassic Park and seeing live donosaurs 'roaming the earth', but the book pulled no punches in portraying the corporate greed, abuse of science, lack of conscience, even madness, that such an undertaking exploiting the science would encompass. Absolutely still timely.

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Theresa, I think that is one of my favorite things about the book/movie, it does’t FEEL old. It still feels timely and relevant. Which I think is a testament to Crichton and his ability to really think three steps ahead.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Every time our local flock (herd .... group) of wild turkeys visits our back yard my husband says, "The dinosaurs are in the yard again."

Great book. Heck just about everything by Crichton is great.

message 12: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments How does your star rating system work?
To the second decimal seems really precise so I was curious about the detail of how you rate.

message 13: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I loved this book - the suspense was perfectly paced, and toward the middle of the book, (view spoiler)
Great pick, Kristel!

Also, I am interested in the 4.83 rating as well.

message 14: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments My rating system is still arbitrary but it is my attempt to get some consistency. I rate on a 5 stars as GR uses and I rate legacy, Plot, Characterization, Readability, Achievement, Style. Then I divide by 6. I wanted three places so it would be easier to respond to PBT when it ask what were my best reads for the past year.

message 15: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Oh, interesting! I like the idea of creating scorable categories. I don't wanna steal your rating system, but I think I should reconsider mine... it's pretty broad.

message 16: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Meli wrote: "Oh, interesting! I like the idea of creating scorable categories. I don't wanna steal your rating system, but I think I should reconsider mine... it's pretty broad."
I adopted mine from other peoples so feel free to use what you like or adapt to your needs. I do have to adjust when reading nonfiction but I still use the same general format.

message 17: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Interesting system, and completely adjustable to whatever categories you choose!

message 18: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments What do you mean by legacy?

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Idit wrote: "What do you mean by legacy?" Legacy: ways that the work contributes to literature, captures the spirit of the age it was written in, the mood of the time, and relevance then and now.

message 20: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I like your system. My rating are dependant on my current mood, a bit arbitrary and always fluctuating