Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2018 > 20.4 Birdsong

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6266 comments Similar to Birdsong, read a book which takes place in at least two distinct time periods.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments How far apart do the time periods need to be? Would Fidelity work ... a gap of 13 years?

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 19, 2018 02:53PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rosemary wrote: "How far apart do the time periods need to be? Would Fidelity work ... a gap of 13 years?"

Funny you should ask about that specific book. I used it as an example when we were deciding how far apart. Yes, this book works, and as long as there is a gap of 10 years or longer, we'll take that as separate time periods.

message 4: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments :) and thank you for all these lovely shiny new tasks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rosemary wrote: ":) and thank you for all these lovely shiny new tasks!"

:-) The books just screamed out for them!

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2518 comments Would Water for Elephants work? It is on this list of dual time novels https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... but I don't see anything in the description that talks about a second timeline.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Ed wrote: "Would Water for Elephants work? It is on this list of dual time novels https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... but I don't see anything in the description that ta..."

Yes, there are two time periods in that book and it works for this task.

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1681 comments I am considering these two: The Virgin Blue and The Winter Sea. They both look like they would work.

I am not so sure about Life After Life, which has been on my TBR a while.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Bea wrote: "I am considering these two: The Virgin Blue and The Winter Sea. They both look like they would work.

I am not so sure about Life After Life, which has be..."

Yes as to the first two. I even see my review of the Chavlier says The story alternates between present day France and late 15th Century France.

I'm with you on Life After Life and maybe someone who has read it can give you a nod or no. I would suspect that the time between lives may not be sufficient.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1681 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Bea wrote: "I am considering these two: The Virgin Blue and The Winter Sea. They both look like they would work.

I am not so sure about Life After Life, ..."

Thanks, Elizabeth. I am satisfied with the first two and will leave Life After Life on my TBR for now.

message 11: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 20, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I'm with you on Life After Life and maybe someone who has read it can give you a nod or no. I would suspect that the time between lives may not be sufficient."

I know Bea said she won't read it anyway, but I think this would be a no because all the lives are in the same time period. She relives the same years over and over.

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1681 comments Rosemary wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I'm with you on Life After Life and maybe someone who has read it can give you a nod or no. I would suspect that the time between lives may not be sufficient."

I know Be..."

That was my impression, Rosemary. Glad you could confirm it.

message 13: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4485 comments But it does start in childhood and ends when they are adults, at least 20 or 30 years later. Begins just after WW I and ends after WW II

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rebekah wrote: "But it does start in childhood and ends when they are adults, at least 20 or 30 years later."

That doesn't work for this task. There needs to be a gap between time periods.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4485 comments Ok

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rebekah wrote: "Does Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline work?"

I found a review which says, in small part: “Orphan Train” alternates between Molly’s current day story and Vivian’s tale which begins in the 1920’s.

So yes it works for this task.

message 18: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4485 comments I found another book in my library that may work,
Receive Me Falling

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rebekah wrote: "I found another book in my library that may work,
Receive Me Falling"

Yes, that looks as if it will work.

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments This one takes place in a lot of different time periods: How to Stop Time (see third paragraph)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rosemary wrote: "This one takes place in a lot of different time periods: How to Stop Time (see third paragraph)"

Yes, that works!

message 22: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments What about ones where a Main Character is dying/ill and starts telling her life story, recalling younger days? I've read a few of those lately--the book switches between youth and the hospital/nursing home, for example. A title I have not read, but may fit:?

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Thanks.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Owlette wrote: "What about ones where a Main Character is dying/ill and starts telling her life story, recalling younger days? I've read a few of those lately--the book switches between youth and the hospital/nurs..."

We will accept those for this task, as long as the retelling/remembering skips over long periods of time.

message 24: by Rosemary (last edited Sep 09, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Notes from Underground ? The narrator is 40 at the time of writing, and he's sometimes writing of his life and feelings "now", but most of the narrative focuses on events that happened when he was in his 20s. There's nothing about what happened to him between those two time periods. Does that work?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rosemary wrote: "Notes from Underground ? The narrator is 40 at the time of writing, and he's sometimes writing of his life and feelings "now", but most of the narrative focuses on events that happened..."

I didn't remember the two periods, but you have read it more recently (!), in such case it should work.

message 26: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments Yes, finished it today! Thanks!

message 27: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3125 comments I think this one is clear from the description, World War II and 1990s Cryptonomicon

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rosemary wrote: "I think this one is clear from the description, World War II and 1990s Cryptonomicon"

Yep - the first line of the description does it!

message 29: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2550 comments Do the time periods have to alternate or can there just be a time jump. I am reading The Dark Forest and the story just jumped 200 years. (Some of the characters were in hibernation.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Coralie wrote: "Do the time periods have to alternate or can there just be a time jump. I am reading The Dark Forest and the story just jumped 200 years. (Some of the characters were in hibernation.)"

Jump is fine for this task.

message 31: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 261 comments Will Playing with Fire work? I've just started it and it does seem to take place in both modern times and the years around WWII.

message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6266 comments Jenifer wrote: "Will Playing with Fire work? I've just started it and it does seem to take place in both modern times and the years around WWII."

Yes, this looks like it will work. Enjoy!

message 33: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 261 comments Kate S wrote: "Jenifer wrote: "Will Playing with Fire work? I've just started it and it does seem to take place in both modern times and the years around WWII."

Yes, this looks like it will work...."

Great! Thank you.

message 34: by Rebekah (last edited Oct 22, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4485 comments Charlotte Temple & Lucy Temple
Will this count as it is two related stories in one book? The first part is about Charlotte Temple and her pregnancy. The second is about Lucy, as a young lady who was the baby Charlotte was carrying. The second story relates back to the first because of a twist

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12789 comments Rebekah wrote: "Charlotte Temple & Lucy Temple
Will this count as it is two related stories in one book? The first part is about Charlotte Temple and her pregnancy. The second is about Lucy, as a you..."

I'm sorry, we have to say no to this one. These are really two books bundled under one cover and originally published nearly 30 years apart, rather than one book with two time periods.

message 36: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4485 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Charlotte Temple & Lucy Temple
Will this count as it is two related stories in one book? The first part is about Charlotte Temple and her pregnancy. The second is abou..."

Ok