Reading with Style discussion

38 views
RwS Fall 2018 > 20.2 To Conquer Hell

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6269 comments Inspired by To Conquer Hell: The Meuse-Argonne, 1918, read a non-fiction work about a 20th Century event. This should not be a biography/autobiography/memoir.


message 2: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 19, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3126 comments Would this one be too fictional? "Based on a true story" A Dreadful Murder: The Mysterious Death of Caroline Luard

How about this one? Definitely not fictional but possibly too biographical? The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would this one be too fictional? A Dreadful Murder: The Mysterious Death of Caroline Luard

I assume this one would be okay ... [book:The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Cod..."


You are correct. The first is a novel so doesn't work for this task, but the Bletchley Park one does.


message 4: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 19, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3126 comments Oh good. You replied while I was having second thoughts :)
Thank you


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rosemary wrote: "Oh good. You replied while I was having second thoughts :)"

Funny, I had just come back here because I was looking up something else. "Event" in the context of this task is quite broad.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Valerie wrote: "Would these be suitable - one is a small event and one is a huge event....

The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century

[book:Sons and Soldie..."


From the description, it looks as if The Feather Thief happens in the 21st Century, so doesn't work. The WWII story is fine.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Tien wrote: "I'm thinking either one of these will do:

Fromelles and Pozières: In The Trenches Of Hell
Victory at Villers-Bretonneux"


Yes.


message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2600 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Would these be suitable - one is a small event and one is a huge event....

The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century

[book..."


Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow! :)


message 13: by Bea (new)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Bea wrote: "Would The Demon in the Freezer work?"

That looks to have quite a number of 21st Century events included, so wouldn't work.


message 15: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1682 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would The Demon in the Freezer work?"

That looks to have quite a number of 21st Century events included, so wouldn't work."


OK... back to the drawing board.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Bea wrote: "Another book I am wondering about: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI"

Yes, this works.


message 18: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1682 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Bea wrote: "Another book I am wondering about: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI"

Yes, this works."


Thanks.


message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments How about The Big Dig? It is about an engineering event/project. And I should get style points as it is a book that happens to have pictures, not a coffee table photo book. yes?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Beth wrote: "How about The Big Dig? It is about an engineering event/project. And I should get style points as it is a book that happens to have pictures, not a coffee table photo book. yes?"

Yes, to both questions.


message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Megan wrote: "Does The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration work?"

Yes."


Thanks!


message 24: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1041 comments Does Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future work for this task? Just checking, in case it is excluded as being too close to memoir/biography.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Lagullande wrote: "Does Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future work for this task? Just checking, in case it is excluded as being too close to memoir/biography."

That works!


message 26: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1041 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "Does Chernobyl Prayer: A Chronicle of the Future work for this task? Just checking, in case it is excluded as being too close to memoir/biography."

That works!"


Marvellous! Starting it today.


message 27: by Anika (new)

Anika | 2073 comments Would In the Shadow of Statues: A White Southerner Confronts History work here? It is an insider’s account of the removal of 4 Confederate statues and the racial storm it ignited. So far, it seems more about politics, race relations, and historical foundation-laying surrounding the removal of the statues without much “memoir”...


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Anika wrote: "Would In the Shadow of Statues: A White Southerner Confronts History work here? It is an insider’s account of the removal of 4 Confederate statues and the racial storm it ignited. S..."

It looks as if this book covers too much territory and is not just about events of the 20th Century. However, you may have noticed that it works for 20.10 (and 10.9, and maybe others). If you want to read it anyway, feel free to come back and make your case that not much of the 19th or 21st century is involved, and I'll be happy to revisit my thinking.


message 29: by Anika (last edited Oct 13, 2018 03:49PM) (new)

Anika | 2073 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "Would In the Shadow of Statues: A White Southerner Confronts History work here? It is an insider’s account of the removal of 4 Confederate statues and the racial storm..."

I’m not very far into the book so was looking for advice from others who’d read it, but my guess is your assessment is correct. I’ll definitely be finishing it and posting it elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestion of 10.9–i didn’t even recognize that as a possible option! (i’m trying to see how far i can get on a complete second RwS Finish and have already posted a second 20.10.)


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Anika wrote: "(i’m trying to see how far i can get on a complete second RwS Finish and have already posted a second 20.10.) "

Well, that's exciting in and of itself. When you near the end, if you decide it is in your interest to do some rearranging, Kate will be glad to accommodate you.


message 31: by Anika (new)

Anika | 2073 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "(i’m trying to see how far i can get on a complete second RwS Finish and have already posted a second 20.10.) "

Well, that's exciting in and of itself. When you near the end, if you ..."


It’s probably not going to happen, but i’ve been finding books i can’t put down and end up rushing through and when i’d realized that we’re at the halfway mark and i was already done, (much like Forest Gump after running from one coast to the other, then turning around and running back) i thought i’d start the whole process all over. i’m having surgery (tonsillectomy) tomorrow and am in for at least a week in recovery where i won’t be able to talk at all, so books will be the perfect escape!


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Anika wrote: "i’m having surgery (tonsillectomy) tomorrow and am in for at least a week in recovery where i won’t be able to talk at all, so books will be the perfect escape! "

Heal quickly, and I'll be thinking of you! Read up a storm while you have such an opportunity.


message 33: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4660 comments I'm doing ok on the challenge, but I don't know what the final result will be. I had jury duty last week and I'm in the pool for a long trial, so how much reading I get in will depend on whether I get on the jury. I won't find out until next week. I'm enjoying my books and right now I'm trying to get the library books that are due soon finished. Good luck, everyone!


message 34: by Karin (new)

Karin Anika wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "(i’m trying to see how far i can get on a complete second RwS Finish and have already posted a second 20.10.) "

Well, that's exciting in and of itself. Whe..."


I hope you heal quickly :).


message 35: by Anika (last edited Oct 22, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Anika | 2073 comments Thank you, Elizabeth and Karin, for your well wishes! (I just saw them--I haven't been back to this thread since my last post!) This healing thing is a struggle...I always heard how terrible this surgery is an adult, but it's worse than I ever could have imagined. :'-(
I think the worst part is the pain meds keep knocking me out, so I've been falling in and out of consciousness so it's really hard to get ANYTHING done....reading has been a struggle, but listening to books has been easier (though I'm not finding the books I need in audio version: there's the rub!).

I really do have a question that belongs in this thread ;-)
Would War's Unwomanly Face work here (the copy I have has an additional subtitle, "An Oral History of Women in world War II", if that helps clarify the book at all)? I'm hoping so, as it's a similar format to Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster which has already been approved.

Anyway, hope everyone is well and enjoying autumn (the leaves are turning stunning shades of gold, orange, and scarlet here and I can see the mountainside turning red from my window).


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Anika wrote: "Thank you, Elizabeth and Karin, for your well wishes! (I just saw them--I haven't been back to this thread since my last post!) This healing thing is a struggle...I always heard how terrible this s..."

Yes to War's Unwomanly Face.

Yes also to autumn - leaves all over the place and we're finally having the kind of rain we can expect for Fall.


message 37: by Karin (last edited Oct 23, 2018 03:53PM) (new)

Karin Anika wrote: "Thank you, Elizabeth and Karin, for your well wishes! (I just saw them--I haven't been back to this thread since my last post!) This healing thing is a struggle...I always heard how terrible this s..."

Yes, it is, but I didn't want to say so beforehand--what was the point? It will be worth it! A friend of mine had this surgery in her late 40s and it took a while to recuperate, but in the end she has felt MUCH better for it.


message 38: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3126 comments Would this one work? A Cause for Our Times: Oxfam: The First 50 Years
The period covered is 1942-1992, but not one specific event ... unless the development of the charity is an event?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would this one work? A Cause for Our Times: Oxfam: The First 50 Years
The period covered is 1942-1992, but not one specific event ... unless the development of the charity is an event?"


Yes, that works.


back to top