Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2018 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Please ask general questions about the RwS Fall 2018 challenge here.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments It should come as no surprise to those who know me that this season's challenge commemorates the 100th Anniversary of the World War One Armistice.

message 3: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I just wanted to say I love the new style! (Prizeworthy)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Tien wrote: "I just wanted to say I love the new style! (Prizeworthy)"

I'm glad. We used it one season, but the database query to verify it wasn't quite right. We got that fixed so can use it again.

message 5: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Will there be Polls to help determine the 10-point tasks?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Owlette wrote: "Will there be Polls to help determine the 10-point tasks?"

Yes. I do not have a firm date when they will go up. There is usually a week for voting, and then close 2-4 days or thereabouts before the challenge begins.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Rachel wrote: "Thanks for letting me know. I had noted the low lexile but am still figuring out how to navigate the BPL site."

Rachel, I hope you don't mind that I moved your post here.

I have made a new thread called "Navigating BPL" as a result of your post, and I'm guessing there are other members who have encountered the same situation.

You can see it here.

Always feel free to ask questions. If Kate nor I are online, some of our regular experienced members may be able to help.

message 8: by Rachel C (new)

Rachel C | 0 comments The explanation you posted is very helpful - thanks. I'll definitely ask if I have more questions - this seems like a very friendly group!

message 9: by Peg (new)

Peg This may be obvious to some, but I just need clarification, especially since I'm new here. I'm planning to read the AbBy in chronological order, but if I jump to a 10 point task then return to the AbBy, that won't effect that sub-category, will it?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Welcome, Peg! The "in order" refers only to AbBY tasks. You are free to intersperse the RwS tasks (10- and 20-pointers) and it won't affect your enhanced scoring for AbBY.

message 11: by Peg (new)

Peg Thank you!

message 12: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4480 comments Would winning the Nobel Prize for literature count for the style points?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would winning the Nobel Prize for literature count for the style points?"

No. The award must appear on the GR book page, and no award for lifetime achievement will appear there as it is an award to an author.

message 14: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4480 comments Im trying to look up Lexile scores for books by Ernest Hemingway and the scores are all over the place for the same books!

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4480 comments Rebekah wrote: "Im trying to look up Lexile scores for books by Ernest Hemingway and the scores are all over the place for the same books!"

Never mind. I think the higher scores are for criticisms of certain books? Even though it says the author is Ernest Hemingway.

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Is there a way to have awards added? I've got one I'm planning to read where the award isn't on the book's page, but it is mentioned in the author's bio - The Silent Companions

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Sam wrote: "Is there a way to have awards added? I've got one I'm planning to read where the award isn't on the book's page, but it is mentioned in the author's bio - The Silent Companions"

I can add awards that meed GR policy. That one does not.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Rebekah wrote: "Im trying to look up Lexile scores for books by Ernest Hemingway and the scores are all over the place for the same books!"

Are they on the Canon? Are they YA/Juv at BPL?

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Okay, thanks Elizabeth. I was also wondering if there's a rule about using ARCs? I thought I'd seen at one point but maybe I'm thinking of a different group...are there any specific rules or do the same rules apply as any other books as long as they're listed on Goodreads with a print edition?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Sam wrote: "Okay, thanks Elizabeth. I was also wondering if there's a rule about using ARCs? I thought I'd seen at one point but maybe I'm thinking of a different group...are there any specific rules or do the..."

ARCs are fine. We use the print edition, when there is one, to determine page count. But some titles have only digital and so we do the best we can there.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Sounds good, thanks for confirming I wasn't missing something :)

message 22: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Do the Audie Awards (audiobook awards) meet GR policy?
The 2018 winners were announced a few months ago. A book on my TBR list won the fiction award: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.
Here's the link to BookList's story (easier to read than the Audie page): https://www.booklistreader.com/2018/0...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Owlette wrote: "Do the Audie Awards (audiobook awards) meet GR policy?
The 2018 winners were announced a few months ago. A book on my TBR list won the fiction award: [book:Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine|3143..."

Yes, the Audie Award has been on GR for some time, though it looks as if the 2018 awards have not yet been entered.

https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

I added the award to Elianor Oliphant from the Audie page, which is what we have to use.

message 24: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Thanks, Elizabeth (Alaska). After listening to a sample of the 2018 Audie Autobiography/Memoir winner, Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, I've got another book on my TBR list!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Owlette wrote: "Thanks, Elizabeth (Alaska). After listening to a sample of the 2018 Audie Autobiography/Memoir winner, Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, I've got another book on my ..."

Added that one too!

message 26: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Owlette wrote: "Thanks, Elizabeth (Alaska). After listening to a sample of the 2018 Audie Autobiography/Memoir winner, Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, I've got ano..."

Abstract for Bruce Springsteen's book is displaying in French; is that ok?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments I fixed it.

message 28: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I fixed it."
Thanks!

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin Does the Earphones Award count or is it too new? I thought I'd asked this before, but can't find it here so perhaps I didn't.

message 30: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 14, 2018 02:40PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Karin wrote: "Does the Earphones Award count or is it too new? I thought I'd asked this before, but can't find it here so perhaps I didn't."

Do you have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind. I answered about that award here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 31: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "Does the Earphones Award count or is it too new? I thought I'd asked this before, but can't find it here so perhaps I didn't."

Do you have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind. I answered about ..."

Thanks--I thought I'd asked but since I couldn't find it here, thought I must have asked about a different one!

message 32: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4480 comments Have the highest scoring books been updated yet? I see my points match with Readerboard but my books weren't up, so making sure I totaled my points correctly and I didn't mess up on combos.

message 33: by Karin (last edited Nov 10, 2018 04:40PM) (new)

Karin Hi, I forgot to check for 10.3 combos in the two books I have posted so far, so have edited my two posts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilla... for the book Camilla by Fanny Burney post 364 so up from 65 to 70

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_C... David city for David Copperfield so up from 80 to 85 post 408

This means my season total so far is 155, not 145

Is this where to post this?

message 34: by Karin (new)

Karin Rebekah wrote: "Have the highest scoring books been updated yet? I see my points match with Readerboard but my books weren't up, so making sure I totaled my points correctly and I didn't mess up on combos."

They never record all of the highest books.

message 35: by Rebekah (last edited Nov 23, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4480 comments I was just wondering if there will be a readerboard update before the 30th? I just want to make sure my score that I have is on track. You know how my adding skills are! lol

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Rebekah wrote: "I was just wondering if there will be a readerboard update before the 30th? I just want to make sure my score that I have is on track. You know how my adding skills are! lol"

Kate is away until the end of the weekend. I think she would have updated before she left, but she had trouble with the database. We're hoping that gets resolved when she gets back.

message 37: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4480 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I was just wondering if there will be a readerboard update before the 30th? I just want to make sure my score that I have is on track. You know how my adding skills are! lol"

Kate ..."

Ok Thanks. I'll just have to trust my calculator! (smile)