What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Young adult, teen using drugs during 60s-80s timeframe to try and reach god/higher power. Set in Boston I believe

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Greenwald | 2 comments Kid growing up somewhere in the 70s-80s timeframe in Boston I believe. Parents are devoted Christians and he wants to find his own proof of god or higher power. Eventually starts doing small scale drugs to try and connect with whatever may be up there and gradually starts taking more powerful drugs. In one scene, it is his first time taking LSD and him and his friend go to a trucking yard and lean up against the tires of a 18-wheeler. There they take the tabs and smoke 2 joints, also splitting a 6-pack of beer. Then they watch fireworks from the truck yard. After this scene he frequently goes to a park near his home to trip with like minded individuals who are trying to reach a higher power. He continues to try other drugs such as cocaine and various pills to try and make this connection. Another scene from near the end of the book, it was his last time taking LSD. He takes it in a subway station and starts having a bad trip. He dials 911 on the phone and the next thing he remembers he is laying in a hospital bed with his parents by his side and he is coming down from his last trip. There are a lot of 70s-80s culture references throughout the book. I read this book about 2 years ago as a book report for my senior year. I can no longer find my report and I contacted my old teacher about it as well and she could not find anything. If this sounds familiar please just throw some names out there, I believe the title is a one or two word title and may have something to do with tripping on LSD such as, “trip, drop, tab, acid”. The author is male. I believe to cover art for the book was multicolored and had a tile pattern and it look extremely psychedelic. I have been searching for this book for over two months and keep finding non-fiction books about the 60s counter-culture and pieces by Timothy Leary and Terrence McKenna but I know it was neither of those authors. It is a fiction novel and it was written in at least the 1990s or later. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

message 2: by Wren (last edited Aug 19, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

Wren | 20 comments Is this it? It has several similar elements to your description.
Hellucination

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Greenwald | 2 comments Just reading through the summary it sounds so familiar but I can’t be sure, I will need to find a copy of it at a local store or order it on amazon to confirm it. Regardless of whether or not this was my book I think I still want to read it. I will get ahold of a copy and let you know ASAP.

message 4: by Wren (new)

Wren | 20 comments Michael wrote: "Just reading through the summary it sounds so familiar but I can’t be sure, I will need to find a copy of it at a local store or order it on amazon to confirm it. Regardless of whether or not this ..."

Cool. When you're done reading (no rush) let me know if it's any good or not. I hope it's the one you were looking for.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40603 comments Mod
Michael, are you still looking for this or did you find it?