The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Favorite Book Scene...Destroyed or Brought To Life

Comments (showing 1-50 of 68) (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Abigail (last edited Aug 07, 2014 11:39AM) (new)

Abigail (Abby_Lucia) | 16 comments Hey guys! I looked to see if this topic existed already but I couldn't see anything so hopefully you might find something to say. LOL

I'm pretty sure all of us have favorite scenes or moments from the many books we have read. But have any of those scenes been "destroyed" or "brought to life" when Hollywood decided to turn it into a film/movie?

Hope this topic is fun for all of us!

message 2: by Raneem (new)

Raneem Abo Rmaila (Raneem212) | 25 comments I guess yeah,In The fault in our stars there has been so many scenes destroyed.Well starting by When Hazel Grace and Augustus waters met.

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (DanaBurkey) | 1637 comments Mod
I love this topic!!! Thanks for adding it!

For me I was really mad when they took out the scene where Edward gets stabbed in Divergent. I was looking forward to that the most and then it was not even in there......

message 4: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. O' Leary (MrsOLearysayswoaf) | 37 comments When they turned the final scene of The Book Thief into a movie. They didn't directly change any of Death's soliloquy, they just flat out ruined it.
It was actually quite cheesy tbh.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (Abby_Lucia) | 16 comments Dana wrote: "I love this topic!!! Thanks for adding it!
For me I was really mad when they took out the scene where Edward gets stabbed in Divergent. I was looking forward to that the most and then it was not e..."

Yes! I totally agree with you! That part was definitely one I wanted to see played out but was so upset when they cut it. -_-

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Despite the fact I read and LOVED The Book Thief I still have not seen it. I feel like it is such an emotional story I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it, so I am not rushing to see it but waiting until it is clearly the right time to put myself through it all again!!

message 7: by Sam (last edited Aug 12, 2014 11:46PM) (new)

Sam | 606 comments haha I feel the exactly the same way Dana, yet to watch but loved the book :D

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat Mccoy | 3 comments Anyone else seen The Fault in Our Stars? :'( I just didn't like how they never mentioned Kaitlyn, and they rushed the gas station scene but what I really need to get out is that they NEVER mentioned Caroline Mathers!!!

message 9: by Maire (new)

Maire | 6 comments Isaac'a speech at the funeral. One of my favourite scenes, completely cut.
Ok this is an irish one but Maeve binchy's circle of friends and Tara road. Like Marilyn's scenes were cut, all rias background, but in circle of friends they cut the last scene and I cried. Like they ruined the whole theme.
Ugh has anyone else read Maeve Binchy?

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 456 comments Destroyed:

Quidditch. In the 3rd Harry Potter movie.

message 11: by Malia (last edited Oct 06, 2014 07:02PM) (new)

Malia (MaliaBlue) | 1 comments Warning: Contains spoilers for If I stay by Gayle Forman

Adam's promise to Mia at the end of If I stay.
Instead of promising to do whatever she needs (including leaving her!), in the movie, he has written a song for her. So. Cheesy.
Plus, his promise to let her be by herself if she needs to is at the very center of the sequel, Where she went.

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (Abby_Lucia) | 16 comments Malia wrote: "Warning: Contains spoilers for If I stay by Gayle Forman

Adam's promise to Mia at the end of If I stay.
Instead of promising to do whatever she needs (including leaving her!), in the movie, he has..."

I haven't seen the movie yet but I have read the book & that was definitely a scene I was hoping was there!! AWWWW :'( Well, it was bound to happen. Is the movie still good though?

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise Emily (emily13108) Abigail wrote: "Dana wrote: "I love this topic!!! Thanks for adding it!
For me I was really mad when they took out the scene where Edward gets stabbed in Divergent. I was looking forward to that the most and then ..."

AGREED. Also, the movie doesn't make Peter out to be as evil as he is portrayed in the book!

message 14: by Booksarethebest (new)

Booksarethebest Harry and Ginny relationship, the way it was build up was so bad

message 15: by Puffin (new)

Puffin (Puffin_is_boss) | 8 comments i cannot even name one place in Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters where the scene was destroyed... well other than when Percy fights the bull but that's it

((hoping that i didn't spoil anything))

message 16: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Subasi | 1 comments Paper Towns is about a boy named Quincy who goes by the nickname Q and about how he falls in love with a girl named Margo but she runs away and it's his job to find her. He goes on many adventures to find her and at the end he finally does. I recommend this book to anybody who loves romance and mystery.

message 17: by Kaleah (new)

Kaleah | 5 comments I felt like the games in Catching Fire were over really quick in the movie... not sure if its just me but it seemed like that movie went quickly

message 18: by Glenn (new)

Glenn Conley (gecizzle) The Giver - When The Giver puts his hands on the boy, and gives him the visions of the real past. In the movie, I didn't really feel those visions, I didn't really care. In the book, it moved me. In the book, when he says "You can call me 'The Giver'" I literally cried. In the movie, It was just like saying "Meh, just call me Bob or something."

message 19: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I still have not seen the movie, but in the trailer I for sure cringed as well! That is one I will not pay a penny to see, so will maybe see it one day....or not.... I know it will just make me angry for ruining such a beautiful book!

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana (HarmonysLoveHP) | 72 comments I loved the party scene of The Great Gatsby, but it disappointed me that they didn't put the part about the drunk guy wrecking his car and then the argument that followed. In the book, that's an important aspect and all they did in the movie was give a glimpse of it.

message 21: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie Du I hate that the Divergent movie did not include Uriah. :(

message 22: by Puffin (last edited Nov 07, 2014 07:23AM) (new)

Puffin (Puffin_is_boss) | 8 comments Kaykaycx wrote: "I hate that the Divergent movie did not include Uriah. :("
yes so true

message 23: by Dana (new)

Dana (HarmonysLoveHP) | 72 comments Puffin wrote: "Kaykaycx wrote: "I hate that the Divergent movie did not include Uriah. :("
yes so true"

Me too :/

message 24: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

They did SO MANY bad things in that movie, but I feel like Uriah was for sure in the top 3 of mistakes that made the movie TERRIBLE! I have read a lot about the second movie and how they are adding characters not from the book, hopefully to fill the many plot holes. Hopefully in adding people they also finally put Uriah in there!

message 25: by Audra (new)

Audra (DivergentHungerGames22) I was glad when they took out the scene where Edward got stabbed in the eye in Divergent. (I've seen it though.) Divergent also left out some important parts. It also didn't include Uriah.
The games in Catching Fire went really quick!!!
When Hazel and Augustus meet in The Fault In Our Stars. Also didn't mention Kaitlyn and Caroline!!!

message 26: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I just started to re-read The Host, and there are so many good moments taken out of the book for the movie! One of them that I felt was needed was showing just how badly beaten up Wonda gets. I think seeing her weak is what helped the relationship with her and Ian grow stronger. He started to see her less as a powerful "alien" and more as a person with feelings and everything like that!

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments yeah that would have really made the abrupt change in attitude seem more plausibly!

message 28: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Okay, I am starting a new thread thanks to inspiration while reading The Host! The thread will be "Just one thing" and it will ask the difficult but amazing question: If you could change just one thing about a movie that was based off a book and fell short, what would it be!! ;)

message 29: by Daniel (last edited Dec 02, 2014 01:29PM) (new)

Daniel Adorno (danieladorno) The battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers was triumphantly brought to life in the movie for me. Granted, there weren't supposed to be any elves present at the battle (except Legolas) and the ents had a bigger role in Rohan's victory in the book. But the scene was still highly enjoyable for a LOTR fan like me. Purists might disagree though :)

message 30: by Lexie (new)

Lexie In the sixth Harry Potter book when Ginny and Harry kiss for the first time during the celebration. That was my favorite scene and it just made me put the book down, sigh, and say "finally". Instead, they had that awkward Room of Requirement kiss...

Though, in order for the kiss scene to be done right, there needs to be more character development for Ginny. Ginny was horribly underdeveloped as a character in the films. Which is a shame, most of my favorite scenes involved her.

message 31: by Whitley (new)

Whitley | 8 comments The divergent scene when tris has her aptitude test is terrible in the movie l. I did think that the entire movie was not a good adaptation and that the characters had no depth

message 32: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean...I agree! ;)

I feel like the moment in the book where she chooses to kill herself instead of her family as a sign of Bravery that was also Selfless is the best part of the whole series, and by taking it out of the movie they ruined it. Also, I only liked the first book, so messed that up made me even more angry. The longer the series went on it just got more messed up and by the end I did not even care it was over and all that happened!

I did hear they have a few deleted scenes on the DVD, but the only one I found is the stabbing in the eye...and it was pathetic at best.............UGH!

message 33: by Whitley (new)

Whitley | 8 comments Yeah I thought the first book was definitely way better than the second and third but I still read them to finish the story off. The first one I couldn't put down but the other two I was like 'well I better read some more of my book so I can finish it'

message 34: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

That's how I felt a little, but actually while I was reading them I was like "Okay...the second one was not great but it is likely a bridge to this next awesome book!" And then....BLAH! It was bad, but not as bad as when I read the Matched series! I hated the series from the start but my campers at work were reading it too and wanting me to read it with them so I read it all, complaining all the while! haha

message 35: by Dana (new)

Dana (HarmonysLoveHP) | 72 comments I agree that Ginny's character needed to be developed more. If I hadn't read the books, I would have wondered how the two of them got together.

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments yeah I would have wondered too. I mean Ginny was so quiet to begin with but as she followed the advice from Hermione, Harry began to "see her". The movies didn't portray this at all, she was still so shy in the later movies!

message 37: by Dana (new)

Dana (HarmonysLoveHP) | 72 comments I know! It's like they throw a few random scenes in of the two of them and then suddenly they're together.

message 38: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (caitlynawright8) | 2 comments ¡MAY BE A SPOILER ABOUT THE MAZE RUNNER I DON'T KNOW!

They left out the telepathy between Thomas and Teresa in The Maze Runner which is quite important in the next few books. I don't know how their going to fix that. And what are they going to do about Gally returning, they practically showed he was dead at the end of the movie. Don't get me wrong i love the film but they left out details that should have been in it because they built they story more.

message 39: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I feel like the telepathy would have been hard to do right, so I am okay with them taking it out since there are other ways to show the wedge between Thomas and Theresa that comes in the second book thanks to news about her telepathy working with the other maze.

Oh, and I was for sure worried about Gally at first, but they clearly show him still breathing. Considering what they can do for Thomas when he is shot I know they will still have him in book 3.

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Napier (Rosered97) | 19 comments Needful Things is probably the most disappointing book to film adaptation. In the book the whole town goes up in flames, and that's the whole point of it. It's The Last Castle Rock story bc there's NOTHING LEFT of the place. In the movie there's like two pitiful little explosions, and (SPOILER ALERT EVEN THOUGH THE MOVIE IS OVER 20 YEARS OLD BC THAT'S HOW I ROLL) the main bad guy just walks away. Literally just gets in his car and leaves. LAME. In the book my heart was pounding through the last twenty pages, and in the movie theatre I was just, "... And?"

message 41: by Sherlock-Lover (new)

Sherlock-Lover (booklovergirl99) | 15 comments Sam wrote: "yeah I would have wondered too. I mean Ginny was so quiet to begin with but as she followed the advice from Hermione, Harry began to "see her". The movies didn't portray this at all, she was still ..."

Sam wrote: "yeah I would have wondered too. I mean Ginny was so quiet to begin with but as she followed the advice from Hermione, Harry began to "see her". The movies didn't portray this at all, she was still ..."

Yeah. I agree

message 42: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (snehapriya) Divergent. Not a scene but Tori tells Tris that the dauntless finds her brother's dead body. Really?? What are they going to do when they make book 3 into a movie?
Also, I found some website's introduction to the movie starting with "future dystopian Chicago." DON'T DO THAT PEOPLE! IT'S NOT RIGHT.

message 43: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Sneha wrote: "Divergent. Not a scene but Tori tells Tris that the dauntless finds her brother's dead body. Really?? What are they going to do when they make book 3 into a movie?
Also, I found some website's intr..."

Just to check, did you not like that they said Chicago since it is not super known right away? I don't know if it just because the author is from there, or I have been there enough, but it was really easy for me understand it was set in Chicago without even being told.... Not sure if that was what you meant though.

message 44: by Rin (new)

Rin (reenahelene) | 2 comments Savannah wrote: "Paper Towns is about a boy named Quincy who goes by the nickname Q and about how he falls in love with a girl named Margo but she runs away and it's his job to find her. He goes on many adventures ..."

I believe his name is 'Quentin', not Quincy.

message 45: by Paulina (last edited Jan 02, 2015 07:26PM) (new)

Paulina Salazar (paulinast) | 3 comments When they didn't include Newt's "Great, we're all bloody inspired." in The Maze Runner :(

message 46: by Jade (new)

Jade Stone | 3 comments in breaking down part 2 Jacob makes some jokes about blonds to Rosalli but it's not in the movie

message 47: by Dana (new)

Dana (HarmonysLoveHP) | 72 comments Paulina wrote: "When they didn't include Newt's "Great, we're all bloody inspired." in The Maze Runner :("

I was mad that they didn't show Thomas trying out all of the different jobs.

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Vergauwen (EllenVergauwen) | 10 comments Oh Dana now I really want to read the book. It seems like it has so much more than the movie.

message 49: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Vergauwen (EllenVergauwen) | 10 comments Oh Dana now I really want to read the book. It seems like it has so much more than the movie.

message 50: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (snehapriya) @Dana
I didn't know anything about the author when I read the book and just liked the feeling of putting a name to the place. So when I saw trailers starting with "dystopian Chicago", it was kinda disappointing. Not everyone knows the place right?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)