What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Old children's book about a boy growing up in New York

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerwyn (new)

Gerwyn (gerwynp) Ok, this one has been bothering me for a while. I read this book in probably the late 70s or early 80s, and it was already old then, so it probably dates from the 50s or 60s. It had a blue cloth hardcover, no sleeve.

Anyway, plot details I remember are:
- It's about a boy growing up in an apartment in, I think, a poorer part of New York.
- His name is Jake, or maybe Joe
- It might be set during WW2. His father is away, and at one point Jake/Joe has to decide if he wants his ration of butter or apple jelly (it's weird what bits of a story stick with you) on his bread.
- The one thing I do remember, is he goes to the pier/Coney Island, and it's foggy and at some point there's this giant mechanical doll that sort of looms out of the fog at him.

Does this ring a bell with anybody please?

message 2: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Hi, Gerwyn. Was this a picture book or a chapter book? Do you remember roughly how many pages it had?

message 3: by Gerwyn (new)

Gerwyn (gerwynp) It was a normal chapter book, although there were the occasional line drawing in between. One of the doll in the fog sticks in my mind. Pages? I dunno, it was thickish, if I remember correctly, so probably around 200.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Sadly Gerwyn left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Aww, too bad. I love NYC kids' books. :(