SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

News > 2018 Hugo Awards

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
I was waiting for more information about the live-stream, but as it's happening today, here's what I've been able to find about this year's Hugo coverage:

The 2018 Hugo Awards Ceremony is scheduled for Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 8:00 PM North American Pacific Daylight Time.

Worldcon 76 intends to live-stream the Hugo Awards ceremony over the internet. Details will be published closer to the event.

Coverage plans

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

I might watch if the stream works properly. Last year was such a disappointment. I was at the con, left it to sit at home in my pjs, eat ice cream and watch the promised live, which they never got up. They finally got the video up several months later, and I haven't watched it even now.

But even if I don't watch the live, or follow the text-based "live", I'll be checking to see who won. Fingers crossed for a Jemisin hat trick!

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (beniowa79) | 382 comments Luckily, I'm at WorldCon so I'll be there in person, but yeah, I hope the livestream works a lot better than last year. Last year I had watch via a Chinese vlogger's cell phone video.

message 5: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments watching the livestream now.

Really? Wonder Woman? Above Shape of the Water or Get Out?

REALLY? I mean, I enjoyed it, but those two were spectacular in comparison.

also, going to have to take a read of Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening now, of which volume 2 won both the artist and graphic form categories.

message 6: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

The stream is working wonderfully! I was going to be very crabby if it didn't, having stayed up all night.

message 7: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments Ok, here we go.. best series went to.... Lois McMaster Bujold for the World of the Five Gods.

Heck yeah. I absolutely Love both The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls.

If ya'll haven't read them.. you really, really should.

message 8: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

The novels are still on my TBR (for this year), but I *love* the Penric novellas!

message 9: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments How lucky - you get to read them for the first time!

message 10: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Murderbot! <3

message 11: by David (new)

David Holmes | 474 comments I just re-read Chalion for probably the fourth time. It's one of my favorite fantasy novels (and Bujold books are almost all great for re-reading).

But winning the first AND second "best series" Hugos seems a bit rich, especially on top of her five other Hugos :)

message 12: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments I always feel a little guilty that I don't have subscriptions to genre magazines and keep up with the year's short fiction. I really wish I could get a nice digest with all the nominees for short stories and novelettes all bundled into one book, for my reading convenience.

Suzanne Palmer's acceptance speech was fairly amusing.

Best Novella - tor.com publishing really did clean up on nominations. And Murderbot Wins! go go Martha Wells!

message 13: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments Felicia Day on N.K. Jemisin: "You're a goddess sent from above!"

laugh!

message 14: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

YEEESSSS! Jemisin hat trick!

message 15: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments Oh yeah! I think this book was by FAR the best of the lot, and there were some DAMN good nominees.

message 16: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

This speech! <3

message 17: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments And she brought all of herself to the speech. Good. What an utter badass.

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike That was a fun watch.

message 19: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

message 20: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Awesome that Jemisin won her third award.

message 21: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Lowell wrote: "I always feel a little guilty that I don't have subscriptions to genre magazines and keep up with the year's short fiction. I really wish I could get a nice digest with all the nominees for short s..."

File770 has the links to the free shorts and novelettes (plus one novella): http://file770.com/where-to-find-the-...

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike Silvana wrote: "File770 has the links to the free shorts and novelettes (plus one novella):"

Nice. Thanks, Silvana.