Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 8th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 5: (yay!)
- A psychological thriller
- A multi-generational saga
- A children’s classic you’ve never read
- A book featuring indigenous people of a country
- A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual)

Bottom:
- A book about someone with your dream job (realistic or fantastical)
- A book featuring a Disney character
- A serial book (either a book you have read as a serial or was originally published as a serial)

Close Call:
- A portal fiction (i.e. a book that has a magical/technological doorway or portal)
- A book from the Texas Library Lariat List

Polarizing:
- A book with a interesting or beautiful spine
- Fiction or non-fiction about the climate and/or climate change

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

The next round of suggestions will open tomorrow, Monday August 20, at 8:00am GMT+1 / 3:00am EST.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

We decided to keep a top 5 because 4 and 5 were very close and we are behind in the list-making process.

The next round of suggestions will also include 20 suggestions.

message 3: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1427 comments 2 of these I really dreaded getting chosen. I like the other 3.
I usually do not plan ahead for next years list but with the more difficult prompts I just may have to.

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments 2 of my top made it to the final list, but one was polarizing and one was a close call.

2 of my bottom are actually on the bottom list! and one was a close call :P

So I am actually happy with the results, except that probably I will need help with "A book featuring indigenous people of a country" and "A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual)". Are there any list for those?

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie Silvia wrote: "2 of my top made it to the final list, but one was polarizing and one was a close call.

So I am actually happy with the..."

I've found these for journey:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8461 comments Mod
Whew I was WAY off this round...

Of the top choices, the only one I had in my top was the multi-generational saga. Psychological thriller and journey were two that I liked well enough. Indigenous people and children's classic were in my bottom...

I'm ok with the bottom choices though... I had Disney and dream job in my bottom as well.

I'm actually really surprised that children's classic and indigenous made it over the portal fiction, with the way everyone was talking about it. I will DEFINITELY need some help with indigenous, because I found nothing on my TBR when I was doing my research.

message 7: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

It seemed like people's initial reactions to the portal fiction were more negative or at least ambivalent. Then people became more interested in it once it was discussed. So I wouldn't be surprised if it did better with a resubmit.

message 8: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Of the Top 5, only one was a top vote for me - indigenous people. One of my tops was polarizing (climate change) and my other two tops - based on a movie and real hero/heroine - didn't even make the list.

One of my bottom votes made the Top 5 (children's classic), one was polarizing (beautiful spine) and the other two were bottoms (dream job and serial).

The results were definitely not what I was expecting based on discussion. I really thought portal fiction and immortality were going to make it.

message 9: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 19, 2018 06:45AM) (new)

dalex wrote: "Of the Top 5, only one was a top vote for me - indigenous people. One of my tops was polarizing (climate change) and my other two tops - based on a movie and real hero/heroine - didn't even make th..."

dalex, send me all the lists of indigenous books, please! This is the first prompt this year that I'm actually disappointed made it... I could find nothing that interested me.

I'm surprised that real hero/heroine didn't appear anywhere (polarizing or close call or anything). We discussed it a lot.

Laura, you're probably right... I was anti-portal fiction at first, but I came around to it more through the discussion (after voting). I didn't downvote it, but I may have included it in my top if I had waited a bit longer to vote.

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 19, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

For Children's Literature, I found a few good lists:

50 Books Every Child Should Read
Books for 12 Year Old Children (But they have this list for every age)
New Children's Classics (For people looking for a more exciting read...)

I also remembered that I have Matilda on my 40 Before 40 list, so that will do for that one.

message 11: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

The search for the indigenous people prompt may require some members to find a group that interests them and then find books. Many lists lean towards Native Americans but there's obviously many more groups than that. Here are the links I've found so far:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/book...
https://www.booklistreader.com/2017/1...
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/a...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/10-...

These are lists that list authors. The books may also be about the people but you could also stretch the prompt and say it is by an indigenous person.

https://www.tor.com/2018/06/27/five-i...
https://lithub.com/10-books-by-indige...
https://bookriot.com/2016/08/09/8-unm...

And if you're completely not feeling the prompt then you could fit in a nice picture book :)
https://www.hbook.com/2017/10/blogs/o...

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 19, 2018 07:09AM) (new)

Ok for multi-generational saga... Ideally, I would like to read a book that spans multiple generations (like Homegoing did), but a lot of what I'm finding are books that have points of view from the parents and children in the same family, but not further than that.

What defines multi-generational? What does "saga" imply? I know I can use whatever I think fits, but I want to see what everyone else is thinking here.

(Using this list for example)

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie Some great prompts this time around. Two of my top choices made it, and one was a close call.

Psychological thriller will be easy enough. I have a couple of Dennis Lehane books on deck that will work for that one.

Multi-generational saga is a great one. If I don't read Roots: The Saga of an American Family this year, that could work. Or maybe Homegoing, Middlesex, or Bloodroot. There are so many in that genre that could work.

Children's classic will be a fun one. I have a laundry list of children's classics I missed out on when I was a kid.

The one involving indigenous people kind of threw me. As an American, the first thing that comes to mind is Native American tribes, so I might do Hiawatha and the Peacemaker. I'm familiar with the story, and I'm curious to see what Robbie Robertson does with it.

The journey prompt seems like a broad one that could encompass most any book. After all. isn't a work of fiction all about the journey of a character? I might do a book of short stories by Sam Shepard called Motel Chronicles.

message 14: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments Angie wrote: "Silvia wrote: "2 of my top made it to the final list, but one was polarizing and one was a close call.

So I am actually..."

Thank you!! :)

message 15: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Laura! Thank you for those lists!!

I will probably end up reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich or Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann.

message 16: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Emily wrote: "dalex, send me all the lists of indigenous books, please! This is the first prompt this year that I'm actually disappointed made it... I could find nothing that interested me."

This is my list of books that I'm choosing from. (I'm really torn on which one to pick!)

Euphoria by Lily King
The Tattoo Artist by Jill Ciment
Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb
The Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland
Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski
The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
Island of Wings by Karin Altenberg
Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden
The Secret River by Kate Grenville
Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse
The Gaslight Dogs by Karin Lowachee
There There by Tommy Orange
The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich
Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
The Grass Dancer by Susan Power
Easter Island by Jennifer Vanderbes
The Storyteller by Mario Vargas Llosa
Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje

message 17: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Angie, I agree about the journey prompt. The nature of a novel is that a character must journey through a conflict, so it could really feature anything. I may try to limit myself to just a physical journey (like The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry), just to keep the prompt interesting.

message 18: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments Hmm... I guess I will read a picture book for indigenous people. I don't want to read about North America and it is very difficult to find a book from another region .... Well, I still have time to look for something.

message 19: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Woah! dalex! That's a huge list. I'll be checking them all out!

message 20: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3409 comments Ok, interesting results. The of my tips made it which is exciting. Psychological thriller didn't thrill me but i will make it work. Multi generational always speaks to historical fiction to me which isn't something I enjoy but I am reading the Dune series which is a multi generational saga across the entire series so I will probably go with that.

Children's book I chose because I realized that I have not read Princess Bride or The Little Prince. Either of those will be a nice break during the year. Indigenous people was something I have suggested in years past that didn't make it to the final list so I am very excited to see it now. And Journey was my suggestion so I am also excited to see that.

Now I am off to figure out how to tackle that psychological thriller without giving myself nightmares lol

message 21: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments Emily wrote: "Ok for multi-generational saga... Ideally, I would like to read a book that spans multiple generations (like Homegoing did), but a lot of what I'm finding are books that have points..."

Ok, maybe not your taste, but have you read books by John Jakes? He has this series about the Kent Family : The Bastard, The Rebels. and The Seekers , each book telling the story about different generarions of the family. I enjoyed them very much and it was because I saw these books on the list and remembered how much I enjoyed them, that I voted for this category :)

message 22: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Emily wrote: "What defines multi-generational? What does "saga" imply? I know I can use whatever I think fits, but I want to see what everyone else is thinking here."

To me, saga implies a lengthy book (500+ pages) and a multi-generational book is one which follows many generations of a family over several decades. For example, Pachinko or Evergreen.

I, however, am interpreting the prompt loosely and plan to read Housekeeping. It's just over 200 pages (not really a "saga" in my opinion) and the characters include a grandmother, great aunts, aunts, and children (multiple generations but the story doesn't cover a long span of time).

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments I am so excited to see 5 winners, especially because 3 were in my top 4 (thriller, saga and indigenous).

I kind of see the journey prompt like this year's hardship prompt, one that can be interpreted rather loosely to encompass all conflict, so I think I'll focus on a book about a physical journey.

I think the children's classic prompt will be fine, but I don't like it because it's the exact same wording as a topic in this year's popsugar challenge. That doesn't mean I won't find a great book, I was just immediately turned off by the wording.

I don't find that the discussion often correlates with the results. For my part, I participated in the portal discussion, but the more the discussion went on, the more I was sure I don't want that to make the list. I wouldn't be surprised if it came back and made it, but I'm really hoping not, haha.

message 24: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Silvia wrote: "Emily wrote: "Ok for multi-generational saga... Ideally, I would like to read a book that spans multiple generations (like Homegoing did), but a lot of what I'm finding are books th..."

Thank you for the suggestion! I haven't read any of John Jakes because American war-time just doesn't interest me (as with North and South by him), but I may look into these!

dalex wrote: "Emily wrote: "What defines multi-generational? What does "saga" imply? I know I can use whatever I think fits, but I want to see what everyone else is thinking here."

To me, saga implies a lengthy..."

That's kind of what I was thinking! Although Homegoing is certainly multi-generational and spans a hundred years, it's only 300 pages and didn't feel like a "saga" per-se. I guess I'll see if any "long book" prompts make it on the list like they have the last two years (with long book in 2016 and intimidating book in 2017). If we don't end up having to read a long book for another prompt, I may use it for this one.

message 25: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments I'm excited about the indigenous people prompt! It sounds like some people are unsure what to read, so here are some ideas:

-If you like mysteries, Dana Stabenow has a whole series with an Aleutian detective in Alaska.
-Sherman Alexi has written lots of books, many of which are young adult, about Native Americans.
-Louise Erdrich has won all sorts of awards for books she writes about Native Americans. These range from magical realism to sci fi and dystopia, as well as historical fiction and coming of age. Something for everyone. :)
-I'm currently reading a book (Wife of the Gods) where a big city detective in Ghana goes into the villages to help solve a case and interestingly it was described as working with the indigenous people. Lots of books about pre-colonial Africa, like those by Chinua Achebe, deal with indigenous people.
-Many books about exploration, discovery, anthropology deal with indigenous people. Books like Euphoria and The Moor's Account come to mind.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2880 comments Psychological thriller, multi-generational and journey were all in my Top 4 so I'm very happy with those.

Indigenous was in my Bottom 4, but I knew it was likely to get in anyway. I'll really have to search for something for that one. I've been browsing lists, and have yet to find anything that interests me at all. The children's classic also didn't appeal to me for the same reason someone mentioned above -- I'm doing PopSugar this year, and have the exact same prompt already. I was hoping it was worded in such a way to include my Harry Potter re-reads, but I guess I'll have to pick something else.

message 27: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

By the way, the ATY community spreadsheets have been updated! Feel free to add your recommendations for these prompts on the recommendations tab, and your plans for these prompts on the 2019 plans tab!

message 28: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 942 comments In addition to the suggestions above... I’ve gotten some ideas from the Burt Award for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Literature! Also, a few months back there was a good twitter thread that recommended Native American writers who aren’t Sherman Alexie - I’ll see if I can find something.

From New Zealand, The Bone People is quite good.

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat | 360 comments I really struggled to find an unread children's classic this year and ended up with Treasure Island which I really didn't enjoy. Fingers crossed I manage to find something better next year.

message 30: by Perri (new)

Perri | 816 comments I'm interpreting saga as covering a long time and hopefully not necessarily a book stop length. I get bored with those unfortunately. Very surprised the children's classic won. I think it was in the bottom last year.

message 31: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 19, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Well, after the lengthy portal fiction discussion , lol....

I feel like if that one doesn't come back around and make it to the final list, then it could always be used as an interpretation for the journey prompt, as in " a journey through a portal, or to another time" ;-)

I'm kinda liking most of this round. I voted for psychological thriller and multi-generational saga. Now I just have to decide which of many unread psychological thrillers to read, because I have SO many....

For multi-generational, I voted for it , but now I have to re-locate the list I looked at that swayed my vote. I know it had a good amount of books on it that I was interested in, but now all I can think of are those 500+ pages books everyone is mentioning (saga) and I'm panicking a bit. I really don't want to struggle next year again with trying to finish the challenge. This year has been rough so I'm trying to go light with next years choices. Just in case...

I did not vote for Indigenous people, but I'm actually happy to see it up there because it was one that I ended up wishing I had voted for after I found 2 books recently in my feed that I added to my TBR and would fit. They are There There by Tommy Orange ( also on Dalex's list), this one came out in June of this year and is about Native Americans living in Urban Chicago, it has been getting Amazing reviews from my other GR book club :-)

Aslo Beneath the Mother Tree, which was just released this month and has also been getting some pretty impressive reviews.... This one is listed as Mystery/Magical Realism/Fantasy for those of you who are loyal to that genre. The descriptions and reviews make a lot of mention about the thread of Indigenous culture that is a part of this novel. It takes place in Australia, so the "Indigenous" there would be Aboriginal Australia.

My list for this Prompt so far is :
There There ( I can never get this to come up in search unless I use the authors name Tommy Orange)
Beneath the Mother Tree( I'm soooo curious, and this is the ONLY non Native American book I'm considering)
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
And something by Louise Erdrich, who I have been meaning to try forever, Possibly The Round House

Didn't vote for Journey or Children's classic either. I'm kinda dreading looking for something for the children prompt because I can't imagine what I haven't read yet especially after this years ATY challenges that I set up....Kinda lost here, have to go check my shelves. And the Journey... Maybe I will stick the portal fiction in there who knows? Right now though I'm also thinking The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry because it keeps popping up in conversations here lately and so many have seemed to love it.

message 32: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I'm very pleased with the results this week! Three of my top four made it in and I'm fine with the other two since I usually read at least one psychological thriller each year and there are several children't classics that I have yet to read.

Two of my bottoms were in the bottom as well so this is the most in synch I think I've been throughout the process.

I too was surprised the hero/heroine prompt didn't make it anywhere. I didn't expect it to win based on the discussion but I thought it would be polarizing.

Thanks to all who posted ideas and lists for the indigenous prompt. I voted for it because I like the concept but I don't have anything that fits on my tbr and I'm excited to look through and find something.

message 33: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Tracy wrote: "Well, after the lengthy portal fiction discussion , lol....

I feel like if that one doesn't come back around and make it to the final list, then it could always be used as an interpretation for th..."

I will heartily second (and third, and fourth) The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry! It is one of the books I keep rereading when I need some perspective. It's philosophical without being stuffy, and it features a grumpy old man, which is just my favorite.

message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz | 509 comments I am the one who suggested the children’s classic prompt. I’m not sure if it’s even an option to add a favorite children’s classic reread to the prompt at this point (for those who would rather go that route)?

message 35: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments My interpretation of multi-generational saga is the same as Perri's, not necessarily about book length but about following a family through generations. For those who don't enjoy that style, I think it can also be interpreted as a novel featuring multiple generations of the same family.

The suggestion was inspired by my plan to read Roots next year but I have read several that I'd recommend in addition to the already mentioned Homegoing and Pachinko, which are both great options for this prompt:

Pretty much anything by Edward Rutherfurd would work. I've read Paris and New York but London and Russka: The Novel of Russia are on my list
One Hundred Years of Solitude
City of Dreams: A Novel of Nieuw Amsterdam and Early Manhattan

Others that I haven't read but are on my list:

The Thorn Birds
The House of the Spirits
Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family
Cane River

I can't think of any offhand but I'm sure their are a lot of books about royal families (fiction and non-fiction) that would work as well.

message 36: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 19, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Emily , you were definitely the first person I thought of when it came to Harold Fry 😊

Liz, Childrens books are among my FAVORITE books!!! I have 2 ATY children challenges going this year in addition to the adult version ( picture books and middle grade) so I am always up for reading little lit lol....I can definitely do a re-reread, there are so many children classics that I re-read every few years or so....Anne Frank, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden, Black Beauty.... I will definitely find and love something for the prompt. The girls and I are going to the theater today to see Christopher Robin and I just got so excited watching the trailer that I think I might read the hardcover Winnie the Pooh Collection I have sitting on my shelf 😊, and maybe add a second for that week because well....childrens books ♥️

Rachel, for the multi-generational, I read The Thorn Birds years ago and loved it! Two that I have and want to read are Homegoing and Pachinko, I haven't gotten around to either of those yet and they've been sitting on my shelves. I do have them on lists for challenges on my infinity list though so it depends, I may or may not switch around prompts from old challenges I haven't completed. Cane River is another one on my shelf that has been collecting dust forever, I have to go look it up and remind myself what its about. Maybe I'll try that one. Or maybe something by Amy Tan would work????

message 37: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments "Emily wrote: "dalex, send me all the lists of indigenous books, please! This is the first prompt this year that I'm actually disappointed made it... I could find nothing that interested me."."

I highly recommend Indian Horse. That blew me away.

If you like memoirs, Heart Berries: A Memoir wasn’t bad. It’s pretty popular right now and relatively short. She’s a poet with complicated relationships with men and her family.

message 38: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 2265 comments Well this round of voting has made me less excited about joining in, haha! I got bored with psychological thrillers a few years ago, so that would be a forced read for me and hard to switch for something else. I'm also not keen on sagas, though people have mentioned Homegoing which I have on my TBR.

As others have said, the children's classic is a Popsugar prompt this year and I wasn't that excited about it this time round. I instinctively didn't like journey (probably due to it saying health/spiritual) but thinking about it, it's very open. Maybe I will read some travel writing for it.

Indigenous people was one of my tops though, huzzah for that. I might save Trail of Lightning for next year.

message 39: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Ellie wrote: "Well this round of voting has made me less excited about joining in, haha! I got bored with psychological thrillers a few years ago, so that would be a forced read for me and hard to switch for som..."

Looking at the list dalex posted, Trail of Lightening was one that excited me the most. It would also fit the monster prompt! I may end up reading something a bit more realistic for the indigenous prompt and use Trail of Lightening for the monster prompt.

message 40: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments Emily wrote: "Laura! Thank you for those lists!!

I will probably end up reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich or [book:Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Bir..."

Dalex, I read Caleb’s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. I loved it ( I also loved her People of the Book).

I also read Into the Wilderness (Sara Donati). Not only is one of the main families indigenous, the series is a multigenerational saga!

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments Emily wrote: "dalex wrote: "Of the Top 5, only one was a top vote for me - indigenous people. One of my tops was polarizing (climate change) and my other two tops - based on a movie and real hero/heroine - didn'..."

Emily, my kids and I listened to Maltilda on audiobook on a road trip this symmer. Kate Winslet narrated it (she did a great job with the voices). The book was about 4 hours. I highly recommend it!

message 42: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Sophie wrote: "Emily wrote: "dalex wrote: "Of the Top 5, only one was a top vote for me - indigenous people. One of my tops was polarizing (climate change) and my other two tops - based on a movie and real hero/h..."

Oh!! That's great to know! Thanks Sophie!

message 43: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 19, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Liz wrote: "I am the one who suggested the children’s classic prompt. I’m not sure if it’s even an option to add a favorite children’s classic reread to the prompt at this point (for those who would rather go ..."

As it always goes when asked to pick a children's classic, I can never narrow it down to just one lol. I just rummaged through my girls shelves of a million books that mom bought for them ( ahem, me....) and I picked three and will probably do ALL of them:

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
The Complete Tales of Winnie-The-Pooh

message 44: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Tracy wrote: "I have to go look it up and remind myself what its about. Maybe I'll try that one. Or maybe something by Amy Tan would work????"

I'm sure Amy Tan has written at least one book that fits! Also, The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See would work well.

message 45: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Rachelnyc wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I have to go look it up and remind myself what its about. Maybe I'll try that one. Or maybe something by Amy Tan would work????"

I'm sure Amy Tan has written at least one book that f..."

The Joy Luck Club is definitely multi-generational, and does follow the younger girls through different stages of their life, so it would fit saga as well!

message 46: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Emily wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I have to go look it up and remind myself what its about. Maybe I'll try that one. Or maybe something by Amy Tan would work????"

I'm sure Amy Tan has written at lea..."

Ugh, so many literary weaknesses lol. I have a thing for Chinese cultural stories....I think I've read through half of Lisa See, The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane was one of my favorites last year, and I have probably almost all of Amy Tans books on my shelves, so The Joy Luck Club is a definite possibility ( although also somewhere on my infinity list)... I feel like I should try something different, so for now I went with Cane River. My list always ends up changing after I "finalize it" though.

I've already hit the spread sheet, and I can't believe my list is going to be completed by the time voting is done. I think tonight if my insomnia is still in effect, I'll start working on the rejects challenge because I'm planning on trying that out for next year.

message 47: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2811 comments All 4 of my favorites, for the first time ever, made the Top 5 so I’m happy! I’m trying to fit in as many books that I can that I either own or are on my 100 Authors to read list.

message 48: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Tracy wrote: "Emily wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I have to go look it up and remind myself what its about. Maybe I'll try that one. Or maybe something by Amy Tan would work????"

I'm sure Amy Tan has ..."

I found Cane River at a used book store for $2 a few weeks ago and even though I have other plans for this prompt, I'm hoping to fit that in somewhere next year.

I prefer to think of this challenge as ever evolving since I continue to make changes even now that I'm almost finished. I'm very excited to do the rejects challenge next year. So many good prompts already that haven't made the list!

message 49: by Jody (last edited Aug 19, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3481 comments I'm very happy with the top five! Three of mine made the list, and one (indigenous people) that I also wished I had voted for after I clicked submit. Journey is the only one I didn't vote for, but it's an easy one to fit - I think I'll do a travel memoir.

Two of my bottoms (and one of my tops) made the bottom, one was a close call and one was polarising, so I was definitely on trend this time, for once!

Emily, since you loved The Virgin Suicides, I'd definitely recommend Middlesex as an option for the multi-generational saga. The House of the Spirits is another one that I've really enjoyed. I personally define a multi-generational saga as time covered in the book, rather than page length, but I would imagine they would tend to be on the longer side by default.

message 50: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1427 comments The problem I have with children's books is that my children are past that age and I have no desire to read it myself now.
I enjoyed the classics in my childhood and shared them with my children. They will be fun to share with my potential grandchildren, just not interesting right now.

« previous 1 3