Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > 2018 September Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2018

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

September
armchair
crack
crust
compelling
danger
lemon
folk
shine
silver
toy

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

bloke
burial
degenerate
paparazzi
pyramid

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Example post:

Word Hunt - January
1 Jan - 31 Jan 2015

Word found: 10/10
Book completed: 7

Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
bowl
Undertow √ 4 Jan
bartender, king, mourning
Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
champagne, molasses
Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
diary
Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
blood
Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
grandmother
Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
dreamed

1. BARTENDER - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p113 - (Which was Sunday and Monday - Saturday was a busy night on the bartender/club scene.
2. CHAMPAGNE - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p180-181 - The doorman greeted him inside the foyer and waved his past - no need to check the guest list for his name - and he grabbed a glass of champagne from a tray and looked around.
3. BOWL Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
p11 - "Another hippy bloke selling hand-turned bowls and crap like that."
4. KING - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p48 - Roan was the king of the jungle, and he should have no problem subduing cats; it was shat he did, sometimes without intention.
5. DREAM - Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
LOC 756: I'd never have dreamed just holding a person's hand could be such a turn on.
6. MOURN - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p262 - Because, come to think about it, you could confuse remorse for mourning, especially in a naturally depressed person.
7. GRANDMOTHER - Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
p98-99 - "... He put your grandmother on a pedestal until the day she died. ..."
8. DIARY - Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
p231 - Alexi took the diary, opened it, and held it in front of my eyes.
9. MOLASSES - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p217 - "You move like molasses, my pet."
10. BLOOD - Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
p46-47: Lee shivered, overwhelmed by the attraction simmering in his blood.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments My spot

message 5: by Nicole (last edited Sep 14, 2018 03:56AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I'm in! And hopefully I get a hit with my orphans and the new bonus bonus word 😭

2018 September Word Hunt

Regular Words: 10/10 found
✓ Armchair: Resurrection: A Rock Solid Romance by Karina Bliss (14/09) ★★★★
"Reclining in the armchair , Jared settled Kayla..." Loc 3713

✓ Crack: See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson (08/09) ★★★
"...the Plexiglas shook so hard Jane thought it would crack ." Loc 701

✓ Crust: Wired by Evelyn Adams (07/09) ★★
"...tomato dripping from the chewy wood fired crust ." Loc 2346

✓ Compelling: Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (12/09) ★★★★
"This is the first time I've seen humans in love. It's curious, compelling to see a side..." Page 229

✓ Danger: Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (12/09) ★★★★
"...this night I missed the danger right in front of me." Page 198

✓ Lemon: The One You Can't Forget by Roni Loren (04/09) ★★★★
"Her lips puckered as if she'd sucked a lemon ..." Loc 83

✓ Folk: The Look of Love by Bella Andre (11/09) ★★★
"...had been by the side of Chloe's folks nearly the entire evening..." Page 180

✓ Shine: The Look of Love by Bella Andre (11/09) ★★★
"...shoes that they were wearing - to really shine through." Page 2

✓ Silver: See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson (08/09) ★★★
"...wearing a pair of silver Oakley sunglasses..." Loc 1680

✓ Toy: The One You Can't Forget by Roni Loren (04/09) ★★★★
"...except for the rooster toy she'd bought..." Loc 4083

Resurrection (Rock Solid, #4) by Karina Bliss See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2) by Rachel Gibson Wired (For the Billionaire's Pleasure Luke & Claire #1) by Evelyn Adams Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1) by Laura Thalassa The One You Can't Forget (The Ones Who Got Away, #2) by Roni Loren The Look of Love (San Francisco Sullivans, #1; The Sullivans, #1) by Bella Andre

Bonus Words: 5/5 found
✓ Bloke: Surrender by Amy Daws (13/09) ★★★
"My brow furrows in disbelief as the other man - a taller bloke with a potbelly..." Loc 797

✓ Burial: Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (12/09) ★★★★
"...Come! let the burial rite be read..." Page 287

✓ Degenerate: The One You Can't Forget by Roni Loren (04/09) ★★★★
"...in exchange for not being a complete degenerate ." Loc 3999

✓ Paparazzi: Wired by Evelyn Adams (07/09) ★★
"...she must have finally noticed the paparazzi because she froze." Loc 1983

✓ Pyramid: See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson (08/09) ★★★
"...screens hung from the center of the pyramid -shaped roof." Loc 1800

Surrender (Harris Brothers, #4) by Amy Daws Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1) by Laura Thalassa The One You Can't Forget (The Ones Who Got Away, #2) by Roni Loren Wired (For the Billionaire's Pleasure Luke & Claire #1) by Evelyn Adams See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2) by Rachel Gibson

Bonus Bonus Word
1. Ladybug

Orphans
1. Gamy
2. Unequal
✓ Sawdust: The Look of Love by Bella Andre (11/09) ★★★
"...the previous morning was sawdust in her mouth..." Page 77
The Look of Love (San Francisco Sullivans, #1; The Sullivans, #1) by Bella Andre

message 6: by Georgina (last edited Sep 13, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 254 comments Words read: 10/10 | bonus words: 6/6 | books read: 7/7

armchair:
pg 162 “Jules follows and sits in the armchair opposite me,” Come Away with Me 4/9
crack: LOC 174 “...like the expectant quiet following a loud crack of thunder” The Chief 2/9
crust: LOC 3509 “A plate with leftover crust from the PB&J my mom brought up to us earlier.” Patchwhore 3/9
compelling: LOC 1098 “He could tell himself all he wanted, but there was something about the lass that was compelling.” Highlander Most Wanted 14/9
danger: LOC 58 “...he had the look of a hare sensing danger.” The Chief 2/9
lemon: pg 150 “I’ll just have the salmon Caesar salad, please, with extra lemon on the side.” Come Away with Me 4/9
folk: LOC 1970 “...she’d had little opportunity to observe the day-to-day interaction of married folk.” The Chief 2/9
shine: LOC 1348 “The gold flecks seem to shine brighter now in my hazel eyes.” Patchwhore 3/9
silver: LOC 148 L... the silver edges gleaming in the afternoon sun...” Worth the Risk 6/9
toy: LOC 849 “Have fun with your toy, Carmen.” Patchwhore 3/9

Bonus -
bloke:
LOC 412 “You’re the bloke who’s been following Mortimer tonight, aren’t you?” The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie 10/9
burial: LOC 83 “... never attended her burial...” To Tame a Highland Warrior 7/9
degenerate: LOC 403 “There’s a degenerate knave on my estate and I want him off it.” To Tame a Highland Warrior 7/9
paparazzi: pg 102 “The paparazzi can be merciless...” Come Away with Me 4/9
pyramid: LOC 4201 “... climb the pyramid at Giza...” The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie 10/9
ladybug: LOC 1084 “hey, ladybug.” Worth the Risk 6/9

message 7: by Tammie (last edited Sep 30, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Tammie | 1659 comments September Word Hunt

Read:
10/10
Bonus Read: 5/5
Bonus-Bonus Read: 1/1

√ 9/10 armchair: Marek pg 26 of 290 Gracen sits down in an armchair by the window that overlooks the backyard.

√ 9/24 compelling: Breaking Dawn pg 161 of 294 ...with no trace of the compelling perfume to torment my thirst.

√ 9/8 crack: Complicated pg 31 of 568 ...Hix was funning with him and only then did his face crack in a smile.

√ 9/10 crust: Marek pg 128 of 290 "Actually," I say as I pick at the crust on my sandwich. ...

√ 9/8 danger: Complicated pg 32 of 568 At the thought of his baby having babies, Hix was in danger of losing his dinner again.

√ 9/6 folk: Wrapped and Strapped pg 62 of 344 "Your folks still live around them parts?"

√ 9/6 lemon: Wrapped and Strapped pg 231 of 344 She snagged a couple of lemons from the beverage station and waited for Hugh.

√ 9/14 shine: Bonnie pg 290 of 373 Because he seemed to shine when everything around Joe was in darkness?

√ 9/14 silver: The Prize pg 104 of 409 He held a silver goblet of ale in one hand.

√ 9/6 toy: Wrapped and Strapped pg 8 of 344 I doubt that glass coffee table could withstand a toddler smacking toys onto it.

Bonus
√ 9/28 bloke: In Too Deep pg 282 of 331 ..., and instead lamented the loss of a hardworking, authentic, bloke.

√ 9/14 burial: The Prize pg 357 of 409 "...on his way back to London so you can give him a proper burial."

√ 9/14 degenerate: The Prize loc 123 of 5923 The degenerate was still staring at her chest.

√ 9/8 paparazzi: Complicated pg 158 of 568 ...the sole reason behind it being having great photos snapped of her by the paparazzi.

√ 9/28 pyramid: In Too Deep pg 298 of 331 Piper stood in front of the memorial, a pyramid shaped stack of river rocks, Michael's name...

Bonus/Bonus
9/29 ladybug: The Nearness of You loc 3021 of 3380 "What's your favorite bug again? Ladybug?"

Marek (Cold Fury Hockey, #11) by Sawyer Bennett Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer Complicated by Kristen Ashley Wrapped and Strapped (Blacktop Cowboys, #7) by Lorelei James Bonnie (Eve Duncan, #14; Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #3) by Iris Johansen The Prize by Julie Garwood In Too Deep (Stewart Island, #1) by Tracey Alvarez The Nearness of You (The Thorntons #1) by Iris Morland

message 8: by Calila (last edited Oct 01, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Calila | 2746 comments MINE!

My rollover list is gonna be longer than the new list. I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!

14/16 + 3/4 Rollovers

Armchair - Only One Month 09/05-06/18 ★★★
LOC 1510: "Luke sits next to him on the couch, instead of in his usual spot on the armchair─ so he can use the coffee table, Rob assumes."
Crack - The Virgin Manny 09/04/18 ★★★★
LOC 415: "His voice cracked on the no."
Crust - Rocked Hard 09/01-02/18 ★★
LOC 2125: "Feeling a bit crusty, are we?"
Compelling - Sire 09/03-04/18 ★★★
LOC 448: "He might as well have been compelling air."
Danger - The Virgin Manny 09/04/18 ★★★★
LOC 2063: "He looked at Channing again, saw his injuries, and thought of him running into danger with nothing but an old laptop to protect his family."
Folk - Hudson's Luck 09/07-09/18 ★★★
LOC 786: "But as the resident gay man around here, I'm already persona non grata with the older folk in town."
Lemon - Only One Month 09/05-06/18 ★★★
LOC 2366: "Outside another gust of wind skitters along the verandah, ruffling the leaves of the lemon tree."
Shine - The Virgin Manny 09/04/18 ★★★★
LOC 2496: "Anything─anything─ to turn that expression back to Channing's confident sunshine."
Silver - Sire 09/03-04/18 ★★★
LOC 3273: "Use silver shackles."
Toy - Rocked Hard 09/01-02/18 ★★
LOC 2979: "She was like a rat terrier with a chew toy when she wanted something, but Bryan wasn't going to let her rattle him."
Bonus:
Bloke - Only One Month 09/05-06/18 ★★★
LOC 3606: "Nice bloke."
Burial - The Inauspicious List 09/18-19/18 ★★★★
LOC 2806: "Thief and mark were intimately acquainted by the time we made it to the planned burial site."
Degenerate -
LOC:
Paparazzi - Rocked Hard 09/01-02/18 ★★
LOC 4910: "Even if the property was surrounded by high walls and hedges, the paparazzi could be relentless when motivated enough."
Pyramid - Sire 09/03-04/18 ★★★
LOC 1261: "I was born in Egypt, and not yet an adult when the Pyramid of Giza ended construction."
Bonus Bonus:
Ladybug -
LOC:
Rollovers:
Bonus:
Gymnast - Heels Over Head 09/16-18/18 ★★★★
LOC 323: "Completely steady, arms outstretched: a stuck landing that any gymnast would tell you is perfect."
Cumbersome - The Mystery of the Moving Image 09/26-28/18 ★★★★
LOC 2592: "I wasn't about to ruin that for an only slightly less cumbersome position."
Bonus Bonus:
Gamy/Gamey -
LOC:
Sawdust - Bobby Green 09/12-13/18 ★★★★
LOC 5587: "Bobby swallowed, the cookie turning to sawdust in his mouth."

message 9: by Rissa (last edited Sep 19, 2018 07:11AM) (new)

Rissa | 647 comments My spot! I'm so excited for the new words, lol! Hello September!

Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2018

September Finished 10/10!

armchair - Rebel - LOC 2040 - "Gus stopped at the end of the table, or where the end would have been if Ivo hadn’t moved it aside to make room for the extra-wide armchair his brother dragged from Bear’s cramped office." 9/13/2018

crack - Wolfsong - LOC 676 - "I heard it in the crack of my mother’s voice." 9/11/2018

crust - The Soldier's Scoundrel - LOC 30% - "“Where are you going?” Rivington asked, pushing bits of pastry crust around his plate, as if that would disguise the fact that he hadn’t eaten a bite." 9/16/2018

compelling - Standby - LOC 455 - "But Tom couldn’t imagine that he’d forget someone so spectacularly hot, so… compelling." 9/13/2018

danger - Standby - LOC 302 - "Tom’s legs had already been rubbery, but now he was in legit danger of swooning." 9/13/2018

lemon - Rebel - LOC 994 - "It was hard to remember why he’d needed distance from Gus, especially when standing close enough to smell the lemon soap he liked to use and the clean tang of his line-dried cotton shirt." 9/13/2018

folk - Don't Twunk With My Heart - LOC 529 - "Bogan is a derogatory term that nice white folk use against those who were dragged up, rather than raised nicely like they were." 9/8/2018

shine - Wolfsong - LOC 7945 - "I turned and left before he could see the shine in my eyes." 9/11/2018

silver - Five Dares - LOC 2971 - "Her hair, black with a few silver strands, was kept short, but it was curly and sometimes frizzy, despite lots of product." 9/6/2018

toy - Five Dares - LOC 660 - "They owned a canoe and a speedboat, jet skis, and any other water toy you could possibly want." 9/6/2018

Bonus Finished 5/5!

bloke - Don't Twunk With My Heart - LOC 546 - "I snorted. “Man. We must live in two different worlds . It’s the educated fuckers who are always judging me. I don’t get hassled for being gay— no more than any other bloke, anyway. My mates accept me for who I am. I pull my own weight at work, and that’s all they care about. My neighbors only care about how many times a year the cops are called out to my place, and whether I’m playing loud music. Shit. I could have gay orgies in the backyard, and all they would do is bang on the fence and tell us to keep the noise down because the kids are asleep.”" 9/8/2018

burial - The Eye of Ra - LOC 1779 - "He nodded in agreement with Ay. “Yes, that is a good plan, indeed. At dawn I want the infantry ready to cross the river, followed by the charioteers and archers. We will leave no Hittite alive between the riverbank and their camp. If Nefertiti lives, I want her found. If she is dead, I want her body returned for mummification and burial as befitting a queen of Egypt.”" 9/5/2018

degenerate - The Soldier's Scoundrel - LOC 90% - "Georgie interspersed his lessons with bits of commentary. “You know you’ll never get another voucher to Almack’s. No, no, dear fellow, you can’t fold the edge down quite so much. They can see you doing it as far as Cheapside. Rein your degenerate impulses in a bit, if only to spare my sensibilities. Now, if this succeeds, even your sister won’t invite you to her best parties—yes, that’s precisely the way I meant for you to palm that card. People you’ve known all your life will pretend not to know you.”" 9/16/2018

paparazzi - The Eye of Ra - LOC 1155 - "I guess Tut was like celebrities in my own time, the ones who always had fans staring at them and paparazzi hovering around, snapping photos." 9/5/2018

pyramid - The Eye of Ra - LOC 1549 - "Tut turned back to face the coming horde, his face as stony as the pyramid behind him." 9/5/2018

and a bonus bonus Finished 1/1!

ladybug - Wolfsong - LOC 431 - "There was a ladybug on a dandelion, red and black and yellow." 9/11/2018

message 10: by Peri (last edited Sep 19, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

Peri June (perijune) | 54 comments Words found: 10/10.
Bonus words found: 5/5.
Books completed: 7.

armchair: 9/11/18 The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 219 "One had a television set, a sofa, two comfy armchairs."

crack: 9/19/18 Ruined by Amy Tintera.
LOC: 209 "He clasped his hands behind his back, then pulled on each finger of his left hand until he felt the knuckle crack."

crust: 9/15/18 The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 2725 "White crusts of mould flowered on the ceiling."

compelling: 9/4/18 My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand.
LOC: 177 "A bit odd, truth be told, but compelling."

danger: 9/11/18 The Dagger in the Desk by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 109 "He looked and I listened for danger."

lemon: 9/5/18 Kissing Ted Callahan by Amy Spalding.
LOC: 2315 "Ted tastes like lemon drops."

folk: 9/11/18 The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 2634 "As for the numbers of servants, guests or other folk who have been frightened to death..."

shine: 9/19/18 Ruined by Amy Tintera.
LOC: 2254 "...the only light coming from the moon shining through the window..."

silver: 9/8/18 #Bae by Cambria Hebert.
LOC: 100 "...the glass and silver lamp with an oversized, angular white shade..."

toy: 9/8/18 #Bae by Cambria Hebert.
LOC: 1386 "I guess this toy wasn't for one child after all, but three."

Bonus

bloke: 9/11/18 The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 1390 "I'd had a spotty bloke with tweezers pulling twigs and thorns out of sensitive portions of my anatomy half the night."

burial: 9/15/18 The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 49 "The big squared mossy stone, which we were sure marked the burial site, had long ago been upended and cast aside."

degenerate: 9/4/18 My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand.
LOC: 292 "The Shrieking Lady kept demanding to see her degenerate husband..."

paparazzi: 9/8/18 #Bae by Cambria Hebert.
LOC: 1654 "It was the reason we were attacked by paparazzi on the way out."

pyramid: 9/15/18 The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud.
LOC: 2753 "...but keeping out of the hazy pyramid of moonlight."

message 11: by Chan (last edited Sep 08, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Chan | 4287 comments I did pretty good last month. Hoping for another successful run.

August
1. armchair

2. crack - Thrown Down | Sep 6
LOC 2034: hearing the crack in her voice

3. crust
4. compelling

5. danger - Thrown Down | Sep 6
LOC 5: River is in danger

6. lemon
7. folk

8. shine - Thrown Down | Sep 6
LOC 2149: sunshine breaking through the clouds to shine

9. silver

10. toy - Thrown Down | Sep 6
LOC 2034: the other hand holding bags from the local toy store

Bonus
1. bloke
2. burial

3. degenerate - Thrown Down | Sep 6
LOC 1478: Start off the night reminding her what a degenerate you were

4. paparazzi
5. pyramid

ROLLOVERS
June Bonus
1. Gymnast

August Bonus
1. hoof
2. unequal

Thrown Down (Made in Jersey, #2) by Tessa Bailey

message 12: by Barbara ★ (last edited Nov 22, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3708 comments September Word Hunt

READ: 13/16

armchair - Before He Kills - Blake Pierce 9/11
(he sat in an old ragged armchair), p106

crack - Divergent - Veronica Roth 9/22
(crack the glass), p285

crust - The Best of Us - Sarah Pekkanen 9/27
(I could write a poem about this crust), p207

compelling - Running Hot - Jayne Ann Krentz 9/26
(so darkly compelling), p162

danger - The Queen of the Tearling - Erika Johansen 9/2
(you're entering a life of great danger), p31

lemon - Dead Between the Lines - Denise Swanson 9/6
(potato chips and lemon tarts), p174

folk - O' Artful Death - Sarah Stewart Taylor 9/18
(the Colony folks), p28

shine - Midnight Blue-Light Special - Seanan McGuire 9/10
(where the sun didn't shine), p28

silver -
(), p

toy - Dead Between the Lines - Denise Swanson 9/6
(let's move onto the toy aisle), p121

Bonus
bloke -
(), p

burial - O' Artful Death - Sarah Stewart Taylor 9/18
(today was the day of Mary Denholm's burial), p74

degenerate -
(), p

paparazzi - Alien Proliferation - Gini Koch 9/29
(we're good on the paparazzi front), p319

pyramid - Before He Kills - Blake Pierce 9/11
(they were stacked in a miniature pyramid shape), p108

and a bonus bonus
ladybug - Popped Off - Jeffrey Allen 9/21
(on the purple ladybugs), p273

[bookcoverDead Between the Lines|18342297] The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen [boocover:Midnight Blue-Light Special|13501633] Before He Kills (Mackenzie White Mystery, #1) by Blake Pierce O' Artful Death by Sarah Stewart Taylor Popped Off (Stay At Home Dad Mysteries #2) by Jeffrey Allen Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5) by Jayne Ann Krentz Alien Proliferation (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #4) by Gini Koch The Best of Us by Sarah Pekkanen

message 13: by Robin (last edited Sep 29, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 97 comments I'm in!

10/10 Words
2/5 Bonus Words
0/1 Bonus-Bonus
3/7 Leftovers
10 Books Read

September Words:

armchair The Chosen 9/2/18
LOC: Page 193 "There was a red and blanket folded over the back of a matching armchair and she snagged it."

crack Murder in Chinatown 8/4/18
LOC: Page 288 "Having the police come to your house at the crack of dawn and haul away your husband and son is pretty terrifying."

crust Her Bodyguard 9/14/18
LOC: Page 219 "A crusty old cowboy in the audience stook up and said 'Yeah'."

compelling The Art of Running in Heels 9/10/18
LOC: Page 112 "He hardly spoke, leaving long lapses of silence that Lexie felt compelled to fill."

danger Last Breath 9/5/18
LOC: Page 59 "That Charlie still wanted to help Flora despite the danger was a congenital defect, likely passed down from her father."

lemon Murder in Chinatown 9/4/18
LOC: Page 9 "A small woman with a face like a dried-up potato, she was wiping her hands on her apron and looking like she'd just sucked a lemon."

folk The Chosen 9/2/18
LOC: Page 149 "When you were in deep mourning...it was hard to be around folks who who felt bad because you felt bad."

shine Taken by Tuesday 9/8/18
LOC: Page 273 "While Dean investigated that, Rick walked over to the desk and laid his light to shine on the package."

silver Last Breath 9/5/18
LOC: Page 45 "Maude flicked her silver Zippo, lighting a fresh cigarette."

toy Murder in Chinatown 9/4/18
LOC: Page 182 "Brian had taken Catherine over to the corner where he kept his toys, and they were already engrossed in examining a wooden train."

Bonus:

bloke
LOC:

burial Down a Dark Road 9/28/18
LOC: Page 232 "...or the exploration of some mysterious Indian burial ground."

degenerate
LOC:

paparazzi Taken by Tuesday 9/8/18
LOC: Page 226 "All Judy could see was spots and a sea of opportunistic reporters and paparazzi."

pyramid
LOC:

Bonus-Bonus:

ladybug

Leftovers:

Swamp (August) The Chosen 9/2/18
LOC: Page 535 - "Left to her current devices, she was liable to get swamped by her sadness."

hoof (Aug Bonus) Down a Dark Road 9/28/18
LOC: Page 235 "She had to hoof it up the hill."

unequal (Aug Bonus)
LOC:

unsuitable (July Bonus)
LOC:

meddle (July Bonus) Down by the River 9/25/18
LOC: kindle 10835 "She doesn't like when I meddle."

gymnast (June Bonus)
LOC:

jigsaw (March Bonus)
LOC:

The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15) by J.R. Ward Last Breath (Good Daughter, #0.5) by Karin Slaughter Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9) by Victoria Thompson Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5) by Catherine Bybee Her Bodyguard (Bad Luck Brides Trilogy, #1) by Geralyn Dawson The Art of Running in Heels (Chinooks Hockey Team, #7) by Rachel Gibson Once Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #12.6) by Elizabeth Hoyt Indiscretions (Harlequin Blaze, #548) by Lori Borrill Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9) by Linda Castillo Down by the River (Grace Valley Trilogy, #3) by Robyn Carr

message 14: by Maritza (last edited Oct 01, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 539 comments Monthly Word Hunt 
1 - 30 September 2018

Words Found - 8 of 10 - 1 of 05 Bonus - of 1 Bonus Bonus 

armchair, Rock Chick Reborn 09/10/18**** - I felt like an ARMCHAIR quarterback... (pg 86)
crack, Zack 09/07/18**** - Backing up I hear his voice CRACK my name. (loc 2024)
crust, Racked and Stacked 09/25/18**** - ...the partially broken CRUST of snow... (pg 117)
compelling
danger, Black Lies 09/09/18*** - This was electricity and DANGER and raw want, (pg 101)
lemon, Black Lies - ... was a muted attempt to get me to drink the tepid LEMON water. (pg 56)
folk
shine, Tied Score 09/06/18**** - ,the Let the Sun SHINE Inn. (pg 31)
silver, Tied Score - The SILVER o-ring jingled as she hefted it... (pg 125)
toy, Tied Score - I thought we could go TOY shopping. (pg 104)

Tied Score (Slices of Pi, #2) by Elia Winters Zack (Areion Fury MC #1) by Esther E. Schmidt Black Lies by Alessandra Torre Rock Chick Reborn (Rock Chick, #9) by Kristen Ashley Racked and Stacked (Blacktop Cowboys, #9) by Lorelei James

bloke
burial
degenerate
paparazzi
pyramid, Racked and Stacked - and we went on a Mayan PYRAMID tour. (pg 201)

and a bonus bonus
ladybug 

message 15: by Sarah {The Bookish Knitter} (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Sarah {The Bookish Knitter} (sarahphalen) | 565 comments Not sure if I have participated before... but let's give it a go!

September 2018
Words Read: 0/10
Bonus Words: 0/6
Bonus Bonus Word: 0/1

Armchair:
Crack:
Crust:
Compelling:
Danger:
Lemon:
Folk:
Shine:
Silver:
Toy:

Bonus
Bloke:
Burial:
Degenerate:
Paparazzi:
Pyramid:

Bonus Bonus Word:
Ladybug:

message 16: by True.magic (new)

True.magic | 126 comments Am In

message 17: by Deanna (last edited Sep 19, 2018 08:56AM) (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 86 comments Words: 10/10
Bonus Words: 5/5
Bonus Bonus Word: 1/1
Bonus carryover: 1/1

Armchair: Archangel's Heart by Nalini Singh - p. 146 - "The memory of that unexpected interaction faded as he unrolled the map, then rose and used a mere dusting of his power to meld the edges into the stone wall behind his armchair." - 9/7/18

Crack: Corrupt Desires by Jennifer Bene - loc. 3367 - "One of them will crack and give us the rest of the names." - 9/4/18

Crust: Archangel's Heart by Nalini Singh - p. 338 - "His eye had healed first, the crusted blood and ocular fluid around it falling away in flecks when he blinked." - 9/7/18

Compelling: Archangel's Heart by Nalini Singh - p. 175 - "The Luminata's dark gray eyes were warm when he met her gaze, his face not traditionally handsome in the angelic way, but compelling all the same." - 9/7/18

Danger: Innocence Lost by Taylor Brent - loc. 39 - "Jack could have been ambushed by enemies with no one there to keep watch, and the kid had put Jack in danger just to keep from dealing with his own cowardice." - 9/7/18

Lemon: Interview with the Dom by Rylee Swann - loc. 152 - "Grabbing a glass of water, I fill it with slices of lemon and ice before pouring water from my filtered pitcher all the way to the rim." - 9/8/18

Folk: Dreams of a Highlander by Katy Baker - p. 17 - "Where are your kin folk?" - 9/1/18

Shine: Corrupt Desires by Jennifer Bene - loc. 3338 - "Could you not shine a light in my eyes without warning me?" - 9/4/18

Silver: Interview with the Dom by Rylee Swann - loc. 648 - "Here, silver and gold come together in a combination that should be gaudy but isn't." - 9/8/18

Toy: Interview with the Dom by Rylee Swann - loc. 652 - "It's nice to see that the, um, toys are packaged and not reused." - 9/8/18

Bonus Words:

Bloke: Painting Her: A Bad Boy Artist Romance by Natalie Knight - loc. 2183 - "She had been in a relationship with a bloke who had totally betrayed her." - 9/9/18

Burial: Dreams of a Highlander by Katy Baker - p. 201 - "The Murrays will be given back the body of their laird for proper burial." - 9/1/18

Degenerate: One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus - p. 185 - "Even if he is a total degenerate." - 9/18/18

Paparazzi: Single Submissive by Marilyn Lakewood - p. 177 - "Crowds of shouting fans and paparazzi jostled against the gold ropes and the security personnel who lined both sides of the entrance." - 9/11/18

Pyramid: Taking Summer: A Fake Fiance Romance by Emily Bishop - loc. 1109 - "In my case, they should stay buried underneath an Egyptian pyramid." - 9/15/18

Bonus Bonus Word:

Ladybug: Single Submissive by Marilyn Lakewood - p. 292 - "Ladybug, you just spent the night with Dex Hampton - and the night before with Jake Sinclair - the most delicious leading men in the known world." - 9/11/18

Bonus Carryover:

Gamy/Gamey: Dreams of a Highlander by Katy Baker - p. 50 - "It had the gamey taste of venison and was delicious." - 9/1/18

Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter, #9) by Nalini Singh Innocence Lost by Taylor Brent Dreams of a Highlander (Arch Through Time, #1) by Katy Baker Corrupt Desires by Jennifer Bene Interview with the Dom by Rylee Swann Painting Her A Bad Boy Artist Romance by Natalie Knight Single Submissive by Marilyn Lakewood Taking Summer A Fake Fiance Romance by Emily Bishop One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

message 18: by Frankie (new)

Frankie Johnson | 286 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2018

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE.

00/10 Completed
00/05 Bonus Completed
00/01 Bonus Bonus Completed

September
armchair
crack
crust
compelling
danger
lemon
folk
shine
silver
toy

Bonus
bloke
burial
degenerate
paparazzi
pyramid

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1104 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 September 2018

armchair
crack
crust
compelling
danger
lemon
folk
shine
silver
toy

Bonus
bloke
burial
degenerate
paparazzi
pyramid

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

message 20: by Anabell (last edited Sep 17, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Anabell | 32 comments I've become quite addicted to this. Even though I still have some leftovers from previous months.

Regular = 10/10
Bonus = 5/5
BB = 0/1
LO 0/2

September

armchair
Hello Stranger
Page 76/269 '' Ethan wandered throguh the spacious room, which was furnished with a long settee, a pair of deep upholstered armchairs, and a pair of small tables.

crack
Lost and Found Sisters
Page 28/405 ''There were tools, boxes of decades-old crap, outdated cans of dried-up paint stacked high, and pretty much every garden hose his dad had ever bought, despite half of them being cracked or riddled with holes.''

crust
Devil in Spring
Page 98/271 ''Beef roasts with peppery crackled hides were brought out on massive platters, aong with golden-crusted miniature game pies, and macoroni baked with Gryuére cheese in clever little tart dishes.''

compelling
Glory in Death
'' Of all the women he'd known, she was the only one he was compelled to be with, driven to touch''

danger
Devil in Spring
Page 10/271 '' But the waltz presented dangers at every turn... literally.''

lemon
Glory in Death
Page 180/588 '' He blew out smoke that smelled lightly of lemon mint.''

folk
Glory in Death
Page 171 '' Hey I was in New Jersey visiting my folks.''

shine
Marrying Winterborne
''The Moonstone's natural layers refract the light and make it appear to shine from within.''

silver
Devil in Spring
Page 7/271 ''They were determined to prevent her from doing anything more strenuous than stirring her tea with a silver spoon''

toy
Cold-Hearted Rake
''Devon reached up to toy with the delicate curve of her ear''

Bonus

bloke
Cold-Hearted Rake
page 197

burial
Hello Stranger
Page 172/269 '' ''It's a cemetary station,'' he admitted. '' With a dedicated line that runs funeral trains out to burial grounds...'' ''

degenerate
Chasing Christmas Eve
Page 154 /379 '' An area , she now knew, that had once been one of the toughest and most degenerate places of al of San Francisco.''

paparazzi
Chasing Christmas Eve
Page 332/379

pyramid
Chasing Christmas Eve
Page 108/379 ''Sure, dessert is the base of my food pyramid''

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

August
Imposter

July
Gamy/Gamey

message 21: by ~Teresa (last edited Oct 01, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

~Teresa | 334 comments I'm up for the challenge!

10/10
3/5
0/1

September ~

✔️armchair ~ Submerged ~ Page 36 ~ She settled into the armchair in the corner ... ~ 9/3/18

✔️crack ~ Submerged ~ Page 30 ~ ... which showed off his butt crack in Carol’s direction. ~ 9/3/18

✔️crust ~ The Dirty Book Club ~ Page 110 ~ ... on her screen. Sneezes H. Crust, “Jules muttered. ~ 9/5/18

✔️compelling ~ The Dirty Book Club ~ Page 52 ~ ... keen writers who could fins compelling angles ... ~ 9/5/18

✔️danger ~ The Witches of Cambridge ~ Page 34 ~ ... sleeper and she’s forever in danger of waking him. ~ 9/16/18

✔️lemon ~ Submerged ~ Page 44 ~ ...olive oil, or with fresh lemon juice and dill. ~ 9/3/18

✔️folk ~ The Dirty Book Club ~ Page 76 ~ ... but some of the old folks are complaining.” ~ 9/5/18

✔️shine ~ The Witches of Cambridge ~ Page 201 ~ ... all that agony took some shine from the joy ... ~ 9/16/18

✔️silver ~ The Witches of Cambridge ~ Page 3 ~ ... tiny silver sparks flew from her fingertips when she touched him ... 9/16/18

✔️toy ~ My Kind of You ~ Page 61 ~ ... how to turn just about anything into a toy. ~ 9/9/18

Bonus ~

✔️bloke ~ Blood Work ~ Loc. 1505 ~ Nolan looked at me. Young bloke for a doctor. ~ 9/30/18

✔️burial ~ The Siren and The Specter ~ Loc. 648 ~ ... body to make sure it would never surface. Burial seemed the likelier option. ~ 9/20/18

degenerate

paparazzi

✔️pyramid ~ Blood Work ~ Loc. 1356 ~ A demon pyramid selling scheme. I gathered up my stuff, ... ~ 9/30/18

Bonus-Bonus ~

ladybug

I have sooooo many orphans I'm trying to decide if I want to keep looking of just let go .... maybe this month I'll keep looking and re-evaluate next month. Obviously very indecisive!

August leftovers
✔️1. Biology ~ The Fourteenth Goldfish ~ Page 61 ~ ... of his in the Stanford biology department to talk about ... ~ 9/20/18

✔️2. Hoof ~ Bonus ~ My Kind of You ~ Page 263 ~ She didn’t really want to hoof it all the way up that hill, ... ~ 9/9/18

3. Imposter ~ Bonus

4. Unequal ~ Bonus

July leftovers
✔️1. Obedient ~ My Kind of You ~ Page 206 ~ ... in his mouth, including the certificate from his obedience training. ~ 9/9/18

2. Meddle ~ Bonus

3. Rambunctious ~ Bonus

June leftover
1. Gymnast ~ Bonus

May leftover
✔️1. Gremlin ~ Bonus ~ Twisted ~ Page 60 ~ The windows of Yoda’s Gremlin were all rolled down ... ~ 9/26/18

Submerged by Cheryl Kaye Tardif The Witches of Cambridge by Menna van Praag The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1) by Tracy Brogan The Siren and The Specter by Jonathan Janz Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm Blood Work (Night Call #1) by L.J. Hayward

message 22: by Jujubee (last edited Sep 30, 2018 08:53PM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 216 comments I gotta find my orphan words inna my bookies, people!!!
Stats 15/16 Orphans 04/08
Night and Day (One Night in South Beach #5) by Andie J. Christopher Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers, #1) by Loretta Chase Edge of Sweetness by Anya Bast Lost Girls (D.I. Kim Stone, #3) by Angela Marsons A Diamond Guitar by Truman Capote On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Hidden (Deep Ops, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti Ice Blue by Anne Stuart Bengal's Quest (Breeds, #21; Feline Breeds, #17) by Lora Leigh Up in Flames (Flirting with Fire, #2) by Jennifer Blackwood
🍂armchair "Her houseguest lounged in a cushioned armchair before the fire." Pg 104 Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers 01) Loretta Chase • Read 09/09/18 5*
🍂Crack "She couldn’t keep her voice from cracking." LOC 784 Night and Day (One Night in South Beach 05) Andie J. Christopher • Read 08/04/18 3*
🍂Crust: "Of the seasons, spring is the most shattering: stalks thrusting through the earth’s winter-stiffened crust, young leaves cracking out on old left-to-die branches, the falling-asleep wind cruising through all the newborn green." Pg 8 A Diamond Guitar Truman Capote • Read 09/13/18 4.5*
🍂Compelling: "She only knew that something was compelling her to speak to the woman." LOC 3539 Lost Girls (D.I. Kim Stone 03) Angela Marsons • Read 09/12/18 4.5*
🍂Danger: "So yes, inviting a strange man to her room was foolish and dangerous." Pg 11 Edge of Sweetness Anya Bast • Read 09/09/18 4*
🍂Lemon: "Meet me in the garden with the two lemon trees at midnight." LOC 2982 Hidden (Deep Ops 01) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 09/21/18 4*
🍂Folk: "Okay, folks, make your calls. It's an all-nighter." LOC 1959 Lost Girls (D.I. Kim Stone 03) Angela Marsons • Read 09/12/18 4.5*
🍂Shine: "She had a feeling he didn’t know himself why he did it, but every time he said the word, it brought her back to dry, warm hills, where she sat in the sunshine next to her own grandmère, nibbling on fougasse that left a faint orange taste on her tongue and watching the men down in the village play la longue with the grace of ballet dancers." LOC 153 On the Edge (The Edge 01) Ilona Andrews • Read 09/18/18 5*
🍂Silver: "If there was a silver lining for the night— because Sloane always liked to look for one— it was that the event raised money for local charities." LOC 449 Up in Flames (Flirting with Fire 02) Jennifer Blackwood • Read 09/28/18 3.5*
🍂Toy "And the only way to stop a deluded megalomaniac, if you couldn't get close enough to kill him, was to take away his toys." Pg 48 Ice Blue (Ice 03) Anne Stuart • Read 09/24/18 4*

Bonus
🍂Bloke: "That bloke was a copper." LOC 699 Lost Girls (D.I. Kim Stone 03) Angela Marsons • Read 09/12/18 4.5*
🍂Burial "The wind screamed like an angry ghost, and he remembered where they were: her mother's burial place." Pg 188 Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers 01) Loretta Chase • Read 09/09/18 5*
🍂Degenerate: "She called her hostess a Hollywood degenerate." Pg 45 Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote • Read 09/06/18 4*
🍂Paparazzi: "“Oh, I was waving at the paparazzi.”" Pg 134 Bengal's Quest (Breeds 21; Feline Breeds 17) Lora Leigh • Read 09/30/18 3*
🍂Pyramid: "Everything was piled on the floor of my room, a poignant pyramid of brassières and dancing slippers and pretty things I packed in Holly’s only suitcase." Pg 105 Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote • Read 09/06/18 4*

Bonus Bonus
~~~ladybug: "" LOC

ORPHANS 04/08
🍂June: (Exact) Limousine: "The limousine had followed us." Pg 108 Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote • Read 09/06/18 4*
🍂July: (Exact) Unsuitable: "This was why she wasted no time in turning Mr. Carsington over to the servants, who'd see to drying and brushing his "unsuitable" attire and provide whatever else he needed for his toilette." Pg 23 Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers 01) Loretta Chase • Read 09/09/18 5*
~~~July: (Exact-Bonus bonus) Gamy:
🍂August: Crutch: "She held on to his courage like a crutch and exhaled her panic in tiny, silent breaths." LOC 5033 On the Edge (The Edge 01) Ilona Andrews • Read 09/18/18 5*
~~~August: (Exact) Ambient: "" LOC
~~~August: (Exact) Hoof: "" LOC
🍂August: (Exact) Imposter: "This woman is an imposter." LOC 4442 Hidden (Deep Ops 01) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 09/21/18 4*
~~~August: (Exact) Unequal: "" LOC

message 23: by Karen ♐ (last edited Sep 29, 2018 03:52PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1547 comments 2018 September Word Hunt

1. Armchair - Loc 663 - Renee turned the armchair slightly - Fight Susan Fanetti - 9/5
2. Crack - Pg 68 - like that isn't what it's cracked up to be - Yummy Temptations Belle Davis - 9/2
3. Crust - Pg 348 - Paint is crusted on the walls - Mr. X Clarissa Wild - 9/3
4. Compelling - Pg 156 - You make compelling arguments - Coda C.D. Reiss - 9/17
5. Danger - Pg 76 - We're both in danger - Mr. X Clarissa Wild - 9/3
6. Lemon - Pg 172 - I added more lemon juice - Arouse Nina Lane - 9/9
7. Folk - Pg 142 - but we went by my folks' house first - Yummy Temptations Belle Davis - 9/2
8. Shine - Pg 42 - the gloss makes it shine like crazy - Yummy Temptations Belle Davis - 9/2
9. Silver - Loc 1430 - pulled a bottle from a silver bucket - Fight Susan Fanetti - 9/5
10. Toy - Pg 4 - at the sight of my toy - Mr. X Clarissa Wild - 9/3

Fight (Brazen Bulls MC, #6) by Susan Fanetti Yummy Temptations (The Yummy Trilogy, #2) by Belle Davis Mr. X by Clarissa Wild Coda (Songs of Submission, #9) by C.D. Reiss Mr. X by Clarissa Wild Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1) by Nina Lane Yummy Temptations (The Yummy Trilogy, #2) by Belle Davis Yummy Temptations (The Yummy Trilogy, #2) by Belle Davis Fight (Brazen Bulls MC, #6) by Susan Fanetti Mr. X by Clarissa Wild

Bonus Words: 3/5 found
1. Bloke - Pg 70 - I can't have this bloke following me - The Protector Jodi Ellen Malpas - 9/28
2. Burial - Loc 5865 - Slick's death and burial - Stand Susan Fanetti - 9/7
3. Degenerate
4. Paparazzi - Pg 250 - the rags or alert the paparazzi - It Had to Be Him Tamra Baumann - 9/13
5. Pyramid

The Protector by Jodi Ellen Malpas Stand (Brazen Bulls MC #7) by Susan Fanetti 3 It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1) by Tamra Baumann 5

Bonus Bonus Word
1. Ladybug

message 24: by Tammie (last edited Aug 22, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Tammie | 1659 comments September Word Hunt

Read:
0/10
Bonus Read: 0/5
Bonus-Bonus Read: 0/1

armchair
crack
crust
compelling
danger
lemon
folk
shine
silver
toy

Bonus
bloke
burial
degenerate
paparazzi
pyramid

Bonus-Bonus
Ladybug

message 25: by Chris (last edited Sep 17, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 133 comments September
Read: 10/10
Bonus Read: 4/5

armchair - The Last Innocent Man 9/4
"…court from an expensively upholstered armchair he had had the owner install…"

crack - Hot Ice 9/1 p. 9
"Her voice didn't crack with fear, but vibrated…"

crust - Hot Ice 9/1 p. 133
"…they're the upper crust of the island."

compelling - A Cafe on the Nile 9/8 p. 82
"..especially one blond siren from France with compelling milky…"

danger - A Cafe on the Nile 9/8 p. 162
"the danger of the solution, of…"

lemon - A Cafe on the Nile 9/8 p. 41
"…all captains, proud and erect, sipping lemon juice and not speaking."

folk - Echoes from the Past 9/13 p. "…the accent of honest folk who worked for a living."

shine - In the Unlikely Event 9/17 p. 58
"Rusty, Rain, shine or disaster, Rusty was on the 7:32 train to New York."

silver - The Last Innocent Man 9/4 p. 80
"…pointing to a small black button set in a silver metal box under…"

toy In the Unlikely Event 9/17 p. 24
"Gee, I wonder if she has a toy rabbit."

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

bloke - Echoes from the Past 9/13 p. 61
"…it or not, a bloke called Meikle opened one last …"

burial - Echoes from the Past 9/13 p. 217
"ivory left around the king's burial shroud."

degenerate - The Last Innocent Man 9/4 p. 97
"undercover work and looked as grubby as the degenerates he had to..."

paparazzi - Hot Ice 9/1 p. 301
"…--eager paparazzi for several grainy pictures…"

pyramid

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

message 26: by Beth (last edited Oct 01, 2018 03:39PM) (new)

Beth I'm in and this is my spot!

September
Read: 10/10
Bonus Read: 4/5

armchair The Terrible Two, Mac Barnett 9/15/18 p.166 "A desk and a bed and a big armchair that looked very old."
crack Whiskerella, Ursula Vernon 9/10/18 p. 94 "Royalty isn't what' it's cracked up to be,"
crust Whiskerella, Ursula Vernon 9/10/18 p. 49 "eating tiny little sandwiches with the crusts cut off."
compelling Rogue Protocol, Martha Wells 9/4/18 p. 120 "It must have been obvious that her first argument was not compelling"
danger Rogue Protocol, Martha Wells 9/4/18 p. 36 "Though really the biggest danger was a human spotting me"
lemon Eye of Truth, Lindsay Buroker 9/27/18 location 3975 "No, lemon-lavender cookies."
folk Whiskerella, Ursula Vernon 9/10/18 p. 126 "we have witches and banshees and cunning-folk"
shine Ascendant, Jack Campbell 9/10/18 p.16 "its new downtown and spaceport gleaming with the sterile and pristine shine"
silver Ascendant, Jack Campbell 9/10/18 p. 184 "Their armor would be gold and silver"
toy Ascendant, Jack Campbell 9/10/18 p. 183"no matter how many other fancy toys people came up with"

Bonus:

Bloke: The Corpse at the Crystal Palace, Carola Dunn 9/29/18 p. 112 "Secretive sort of bloke"
Burial: The Wonder Engine, T. Kingfisher 9/22/18 p.109 "Are they wearing burial shrouds?"
Degenerate: Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness, William Styron 9/14/18 p. 56 "This loss can quickly degenerate into dependence"
Paparazzi: Saints and Misfits, S. K. Ali p. 18 "ignoring the little voice inside that said Paparazzi!"

Pyramid: FAIL

Leftovers:
ambient Rogue Protocol, Martha Wells 9/4/18p.66 "far enough away from the team there was no ambient sound"
gymnast: The Corpse at the Crystal Palace, Carola Dunn 9/29/18 p. 203 "But 'e'd been a gymnast at school."
meddle. The Corpse at the Crystal Palace, Carola Dunn 9/29/18 p. 135 "I'm afraid she'd encourage Daisy to meddle."

message 27: by Ris (last edited Oct 01, 2018 08:45PM) (new)

Ris | 485 comments September 2018
Words Read: 8/10
Bonus Words: 1/6
Bonus Bonus Word: 0/1

Armchair – The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang (Sept 19)
"Janie flopped into a scuffed armchair..." (pg 218).

Crack – The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (Sept 6)
"...as soon as Kevin cracked open the door..." (pg 174)

Crust – Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (Sept 21)
"My mom, who used to cut off the crusts off my sandwiches when I was little" (pg 18/925)

Compelling – Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (Sept 30)
"'It's curious... compelling , to see a side of human nature'" (582/925).

Danger – The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely (Sept. 13)
"...nerves flutter in my chest, flapping dangerous wings against my rib cage" (pg 22).

Lemon –

Folk –

Shine – The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (Sept 6)
"...she herself walking through the shiny steel doors..." (pg 45).

Silver – Pestilence by Laura Thalassa (Sept 22)
"I'm all for silver linings" (pg 148/925)

Toy – The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (Sept 8)
"'As soon as we clean up our toys'" (pg 215)

The Real Deal by Lauren Blakely The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1) by Laura Thalassa The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

Bonus

Bloke –
Burial –
Degenerate –
Paparazzi –
Pyramid –

Bonus Bonus Word

Ladybug –

message 28: by Kesha (last edited Sep 28, 2018 10:10AM) (new)

Kesha | 705 comments 2018 September Word Hunt

Read: 8/10
Bonus Read: 2/5
Bonus Bonus Read: 1/1

armchair:
crack: She stopped and cleared her throat when her voice CRACKED. Campaign For His Heart (p. 14) - Joy Avery 9-6-18
crust: "Like a CRUSTY rash," I'd say. Smart Tass (LOC 367) - Mimi Jean Pamfiloff 9-16-18
compelling:
danger: It was lightning that posed the real DANGER. Savannah's Secrets (p. 45) - Reese Ryan 9-12-18
lemon: "Steak, potatoes, salad, and LEMON meringue pie, milady." Seduced in San Diego (p. 217) - Reese Ryan 9-13-18
folk: "All right, FOLKS." Campaign For His Heart (p. 96) - Joy Avery 9-6-18
shine: His skin glistened as if he'd been sprayed with tire SHINE. Campaign For His Heart (p. 175) - Joy Avery 9-6-18
silver: Keven kept the top down on his Jaguar F-Type as he drove down SILVER Springs historic main street. Guarding His Heart (p. 57) - Synithia Williams 9-4-18
toy: "You'll have plenty of time to fire up your TOYS. Guarding His Heart (p. 135) - Synithia Williams 9-4-18

BONUS
bloke: If he was the type of BLOKE who settled down, he'd be fortunate to do so with someone as incredible as Sasha Charles. Seduced in San Diego (p. 184) - Reese Ryan 9-13-18
burial:
degenerate:
paparizzi: If he had coffee at a cafe in Rome with a female friend, the PAPARAZZI wondered who the new "flame" in his life was. Undeniable Attraction (p. 64) - Kayla Perrin 9-8-18
pyramid:

BONUS BONUS
ladybug: "You're okay, ladybug." Twins for the Cowboy (p. 170) - Linda Goodnight 9-28-18

message 29: by Aj (last edited Sep 28, 2018 10:03PM) (new)

Aj | 1 comments It wouldn't hurt for me to try.

armchair: A Discovery of Witches > pg 242 > "There were armchairs and couches, tables and hassocks, most in shades of green, brown, and gold."
crack: A Discovery of Witches > pg 289 > "A loud crack carried across the grounds."
crust: Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir > pg 66 > "At the time I thought it was probably something all cloak-and-dagger, like “One pepperoni pizza, hold the crust ,” or “A large cheesy bread and the bird flies at midnight” but in reality it was probably just “And tell Jacob to bring some acid,” because honestly neither of them was very imaginative."
compelling: The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August > pg 152 > "The art lies in convincing the target that whatever harm they do themselves–for, by definition, you are compelling them rather than coaxing them into obedience–is less than the harm which will be caused by the revelation of the secrets in your power."
danger: A Discovery of Witches > pg 133 > "The closer I was to Knox, the more danger I felt."
lemon: A Discovery of Witches > pg 187 >"We sipped at what Matthew called my “birthday wine,” which smelled like lemon floor polish and smoke and tasted like chalk and butterscotch."
folk: A Discovery of Witches > pg 380 > "After several more hours discussing the medieval liturgy, I had a new appreciation for church ceremonies as well as folk customs."
shine: A Discovery of Witches > pg 184 > "In the dusky air, Matthew seemed to shine with pleasure, his arms full of wine."
silver: A Discovery of Witches > pg 292 >"The white overwhelmed the other colors, became silver, and assumed a texture like the scales of a fish."
toy: A Discovery of Witches > pg 326 >"With a pang of sadness, I realized it was a child’s toy."

message 30: by Andrea (last edited Sep 29, 2018 12:37PM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments I'm in.

1. Armchair - The Worst Best Man - Sep7 - 5*
LOC 2245 - "After they got their drinks and snacks, they took a pair of armchairs by the window that was rarely left empty."
2. Crack - As You Wish - Sep8 - 3*
LOC 120 - "Maybe he should know better than to try and crack jokes with security officials, especially when they had his balls in their hands."
3. Crust - The Little Library - Sep9 - 5*
LOC 1019 - "But the laf wasn'T sliced the whole way through, and when Elliott went to tear off a piece, he wrenched a little too hard and sent a chunk of crust flying."
4. Compelling - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to My Sexual Orientation - Sep13 - 4*
LOC 1970 - "Maybe it was the synth sound, the oddly compelling lyrics or something in the singer's voice."
5. Danger - Alpha Unit One, New York - Sep10 - 5*
LOC 692 - "I'm a danger to you."
6. Lemon - Finding Mr. Wrong - Sep12 - 5*
LOC 92 - "Oh and a slice of lemon cake"
7. Folk - A Right Royal Affair - Sep15 - 4*
LOC 1099 - "You want him to be your mate, but you don't know how to talk to us common folk"
8. Shine - Barrel Proof - Sep19 - 4*
LOC 154 - "To headlights shining through the window of his Tesla, to his ghostly white partner bracing for the impact beside him, to his beloved husband in the backseat, black eyes wide and as terror filled as the blue ones he'd just glimpsed."
9. Silver - A Reason To Stay - Sep21 - 5*
LOC 2547 - "Viktor stared back, utterly entranced by the silver flecks in Aiden's blue eyes..."
10. Toy - Mascara & Bandages - Sep16 - 5*
LOC 1397 - "As much as plastic superhero toys"

Bonus Words: 1/5 found
1. Bloke
2. Burial - The Musician in Unit G - Sep23 - 3*
LOC 1605 - "Are he and his buddies here to lead the procession to the cemetery for the burial service?"
3. Degenerate
4. Paparazzi
5. Pyramid - A Country Boy at Heart - Sep28 - 4*
LOC 236 - "He looked up at the Pyramid"

Bonus Bonus Word
1. Ladybug

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 21, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

I'm in!
September
10/10
1. armchair - The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang ~ p. 218 / 69% / loc 2850 ~ "Janie flopped into a scuffed armchair, throwing a jean-clad leg over the arm." ~ 09/16
2. crack - Dr. Strange Beard by Penny Reid ~ 14% / loc 856 ~ "..I'd shaken off his rudeness and spent the rest of the day troubleshooting how best to crack the man's seemingly impenetrable shell of dumbassery." ~ 09/08
3. crust - Hate List by Jennifer Brown ~ p. 307/ 69% / loc 2901~ "A measured and even crust stuffed painstakingly with garlic butter and cheese." ~ 09/17
4. compelling - Cry Baby by Ginger Scott ~ p. 244 / 86% / loc 3810 ~ "He's no doubt trained to take in the details, and I've presented a compelling case at his door." ~ 09/14
5. danger - How to Walk Away by Katherine Center ~ 39% / loc 2032 ~ "I might be in danger of many things, but getting too much help was not one of them." ~ 09/06
6. lemon - Covet by Tracey Garvis-Graves ~ p. 55 / 19% / loc 187 ~ "It's icy cold with a hint of lemon, just the way I like it." ~ 09/04
7. folk - Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon ~ p. 44 / 20% / loc 844 ~ "I had taken to whispering it like the older folk whispered the word 'cancer.'" ~ 09/01
8. shine - Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren ~ 71% / loc 2392 ~ "A panicky shine comes into his eyes." ~ 09/05
9. silver - Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett ~ 65% / loc 2936 ~ "As the silver of hammerhead shark glides past, Porter slowly turns me around in his arms." ~ 09/03
10. toy - Gentleman Nine by Penelope Ward ~ 71% / loc 2773 ~ "Bruiser retreated to the corner of the room to play with his toy." ~ 09/02

Bonus 2/5
1. bloke - Ghosted by Rosie Walsh ~ p. 18 / 7% / loc 274 ~ "You met a bloke, you spent a week with him, then he went on holiday and never called you again." ~ 09/07
2. burial
3. degenerate
4. paparazzi - Real by Katy Evans ~ p. 17 / 4% / loc 183 ~ "In fact, my anonymous paparazzi stalker kept the camera solely on me and on no one else." ~ 09/03
5. pyramid

Bonus bonus 0/1
ladybug

Orphans from August 2018
hoof - The House by Christina Lauren ~ p. 203 / 54% / loc 2214 ~ "On the windowsill was a tiny porcelain fawn, with golden dots on its beige fur, and with the same chip in its left hoof that her mother's had." ~ 09/13
unequal

message 32: by Becky (last edited Sep 30, 2018 04:06PM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1415 comments 15/16

armchair Felix and the Prince- page 166- Lio started the fire as I poured the tea, and by the time we were settled in the two armchairs, an awkward silence had descended between us again. 9/5-9/6
crack Dumplin'- loc 1309- The ever-constant needle taps against my head, waiting for me to crack. 9/2-9/3
crust One Man's Trash- page 7- Phil was a good-looking guy too, all white bread with the crusts cut off, neat and tidy and fit. 9/6-9/7
compelling Omega Required- loc 3089- The moon was still calling, but he closed his eyes to it, focusing on something far nearer, and far more compelling. 9/11-9/12
danger Burn Bright- loc 841- There was something odd about the motion the two of them made, but he'd worry about that after he took care of the immediate danger. 9/3-9/4
lemon Burn Bright- loc 3645- Wellesley pulled out a cloth folded into a pouch that smelled of garlic, chili, lemon, and some unfamiliar things. 9/3-9/4
folk Dumplin'- loc 2983- And Ellen clogs to some German folk music. 9/2-9/3
shine First- loc 608- "I'll see if I can find out some more about him, seeing as he's taken a shine to our Mike." 9/1-9/2
silver First- loc 4811- He held it up, a circle of polished silver. 9/1-9/2
toy First- loc 2316- "We were wondering if you were gonna show up for work tonight, or if you'd be too busy with your boy toy," Kevin said with a leer. 9/1-9/2

Bonus

bloke Pretty in Pink- page 143- "Did you have fun with that bloke?" 9/8-9/9
burial Burn Bright- loc 1078- He'd been going to bring Hester back for cremation and burial- the same as for any pack member who had no other family to make decisions for her. 9/3-9/4
degenerate Trailer Trash- loc 3395- The good thing about being in the degenerate math class was that just about everybody turned up late. 9/29-9/30
paparazzi Felix and the Prince- page 5- My father had it built years before so the royal family could get treatment without tipping off the paparazzi. 9/5-9/6
pyramid Dumplin'- loc 2117- After a full five hours of walking through a minefield of Sadie Hawkins proposals- including a cheerleading pyramid during lunch- I have one hour to go. 9/2-9/3

Bonus Bonus

ladybug

message 33: by Claire (last edited Oct 29, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 86 comments 2018 September Word Hunt

Regular Words: 2/10 found

1. Armchair
2. Crack - The River by Gary Paulsen...inside the dream; a sharp crack so loud that he snapped awake, rolled over,... LOC: 650 READ: 09/23/18
3. Crust
4. Compelling
5. Danger The River by Gary Paulsen...thought it would be danger, or being alone, or the weather." LOC: 244 READ: 09/23/18
6. Lemon
7. Folk
8. Shine
9. Silver
10. Toy

Bonus Words: 0/5 found
1. Bloke
2. Burial
3. Degenerate
4. Paparazzi
5. Pyramid

Bonus Bonus Word
1. Ladybug

Orphan Words (August)

1. Ballroom Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult ...rhythm to fly-fishing, like a ballroom dance. LOC: 1688 READ: 09/16/18
2. Coconut Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult ...papaya and banana; she'd rub coconut oil into the skin of my shoulders and arms; LOC: 1320 READ: 09/16/18
3. Ambient
4. Hoof
5. Imposter
6. Unequal
7. Sawdust Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult ...the pine, taste the fine sawdust in the air. LOC: 5472 READ: 09/16/18

message 34: by Carly (last edited Sep 30, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Carly (car88) | 65 comments SEPTEMBER 2018 - WORD HUNT
·Post 34

10/10

ARMCHAIR - Nocturnal Magic location 1152, 30% (9/2/18)
The sofa and chair together covered most of the window, and a second armchair added support to the structure. Not ideal, but better than nothing.
COMPELLING - The Scandal of Christendom location 6517, 56% (9/28/18)
"François told me to wish you a happy marriage," George said as I inspected the beasts. "And he told me to tell you to remember his warnings. He said there was also an amendment to add to his previous remarks." "Which was?" "To remember that he is your friend, no matter what politics, diplomacy, or the actions of your new husband might compel him to do." I almost laughed.
CRACK - Once Upon A Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales location 1190, 24% (9/22/18)
Dare snorts. "No, he's rash, but even he wasn't about to crack a vein with someone he'd just met." "Then what was he-" Dare shoots her a look that says, really?
CRUST - Nocturnal Magic location 1084, 29% (9/2/18)
She scooped a piece of buttery, flaky crust into her mouth. Gods below, this woman can cook. "You never mentioned you had a brother."
DANGER - Supernatural Chronicles: The Skinwalkers (view spoiler) location 232, 4% (9/25/18)
The unsettled mud churned like my thoughts, the playground for musty grass that camouflaged the danger lurking beneath.
FOLK - Alien Mate location 1295, 64% (9/6/18)
"Welcome to the neighborhood," said the perky blonde. "I'm Lisa and this big guy here is Ror'Andorian, my hubby. I just call him Rory, though, for short. We live in the house right across the street. I'm so glad to see new folk moving in. This neighborhood is still pretty new, so not all of the houses have folks in them yet, and gosh, it's so nice to see another Earth girl here."
LEMON - Savage Hunger location 137, 10% (9/3/18)
Isaline piped lemon frosting onto her finger and licked it. She groaned at the taste of the sweetness. "I can't. God, I love cake and frosting, and fuck, if mom sees me she'll have kittens."
SHINE - Supernatural Chronicles: The Wolves (view spoiler) location 1174, 15% (9/27/18)
He took it and studied it, then read my handwritten translation aloud: "The past shines the light that leads the present to the future." He glared at it longer, then looked up at me. "What the fuck does that mean?"
SILVER - Fate Undone location 378, 10% (9/9/18)
"How are you on campus?" she demanded. He was a god; the wards should have kept him and all other gods away. If they were broken… He raised an arm and a roughly hammered silver band glinted around his wrist. "This is enchanted to allow me past the wards."
TOY - Ares location 915, 44% (9/11/18)
"I can't stand the thought of someone else touching you. Especially not Poseidon. It makes me want to bleach my eyes." "You're being infantile now." "Does this feel infantile?" He ground his hips and erection against her. "Only your motivations. You just don't want anyone else to play with your toys." "You're not a toy to me, Morrigan."

Bonus
3/5
BLOKE - Infernal Desires location 1489, 48% (9/14/18)
"So, who was the red bloke and why did they want to kill him?" Moira asked, coming to stand beside her as the beast crouched down to better examine the knife.
BURIAL
DEGENERATE - The Scandal of Christendom location 399, 3% (9/28/18)
Once, Henry would have believed in Clement without question. Now he did not. He had told de Borgho that there was no knowing what a modern pope in these degenerate times would do or say.
PAPARAZZI
PYRAMID - Savage Hunger location 1497, 69% (9/3/18)
"Where's one place you'd love to go?" "Egypt. The pyramids look like a magical place and I love the history of them. I wish I could see all the wonders of the world."

Bonus-Bonus
0/1
LADYBUG

Carryovers
2/5
August
AMBIENT
HOOF - Once Upon A Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales location 3986, 81% (9/22/18)
Once they were beyond the castle walls, Alice slowed her horse to a steady trot. Landon heard the difference in the hoof beats and reined in his mount. For the first time, he looked over his shoulder at her.
UNEQUAL
July
UNSUITABLE - The Scandal of Christendom location 1510, 13% (9/28/18)
Every attempt to seperate us only made us more determined. It is like that with love. The surest way a father may thrust his daughter into an unsuitable match is to attempt to prevent it.
February
SIDESHOW

READ
Nocturnal Magic (Demons of Fire and Night #2) by C.N. Crawford Savage Hunger (Savage Shifters #3) by Milly Taiden Alien Mate (Alien Mate, #1) by Eve Langlais Fate Undone (The Mythean Arcana #5) by Linsey Hall Ares (Desperate Housewives of Olympus Ambrosia Lane Book 3) by Saranna DeWylde Infernal Desires (Queen of the Damned, #3) by Kel Carpenter Once Upon A Curse 17 Dark Faerie Tales by Yasmine Galenorn Supernatural Chronicles The Skinwalkers (Dynamis In New Orleans #1) by Lila Felix Supernatural Chronicles The Wolves (Dynamis in New Orleans #2) by Kristie Cook The Scandal of Christendom (Above All Others; The Lady Anne Book 4) by G. Lawrence

message 35: by Amanda A (last edited Sep 30, 2018 07:59PM) (new)

Amanda A | 769 comments September Word Hunt
Completed: 15/16

armchair - "Almost every single armchair shows signs of wear and tear." Checking Out pg 242
crack - "They look like they could slip down a crack in the sidewalk and never be seen again." Mistletoe and Mayhem pg 142
crust - "...I'd arrive well-done with a crispy crust." Magic Binds pg 21
compelling - "There is a simple honesty to the storytelling that is utterly compelling." Flat-Out Love pg 282
danger - "I was getting to him, only it seemed I was just pushing myself into greater danger." Mistletoe and Mayhem pg 160
lemon - "...she asked if I might make a lemon tart for dessert." Wynn in Doubt pg 154
folk - "I tend to picture socially maladjusted folk..." Checking Out pg 264
shine - "The shine runs from the corners of his mouth..." Wynn in Doubt pg 129
silver - "White linen tablecloths were bedecked with shiny silver cutlery..." It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time pg 121
toy - "I toy with the lid on a jar of peanut butter." Wynn in Doubt pg 70

Bonus
bloke - "I had visions of the bloke coming here or me going to his place." Checking Out pg 59
burial - "If the two had just stopped to have a meal and talk about old times or quite possibly Chad's burial arrangements..." Mistletoe and Mayhem pg 129
degenerate - "That degenerate?" Magic Binds pg 18
paparazzi
pyramid - "In the distance a massive building, a pyramid or temple, rose..." Magic Binds pg 272

and a bonus bonus
ladybug - "...a ladybug suddenly landed on the back of my hand." A Fitting End pg 151

Checking Out 9/1
Mistletoe and Mayhem 9/2
Wynn in Doubt 9/2
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time 9/4
Magic Binds 9/4
Flat-Out Love 9/20
A Fitting End 9/30

message 36: by Abeer. (last edited Sep 01, 2018 05:28AM) (new)

Abeer. (heartsmile) | 29 comments I'm in...

- armchair
- crack
- crust
- compelling

- danger:
From Sense and Sensibility P.259,
" and in two minutes she was with her beloved child, rendered dearer to her than ever by absence, unhappiness, and danger."

- lemon
- folk
- shine
- silver
- toy

Bonus:
- bloke
- burial
- degenerate
- paparazzi
- pyramid

and a bonus bonus
- ladybug

message 37: by LaurLa (last edited Oct 04, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments September Word Hunt
September 2018

MY Word Hunt (msg 37)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
9 of 9 Books Read

September Words
Fall from India Place (On Dublin Street, #4) by Samantha Young Sucker Punched (Knockout Love #2) by Kelley R. Martin Full Domain (Nice Guys, #3) by Kindle Alexander Hallowed Ground (PI Julie Collins #2) by Lori G. Armstrong Beyond Temptation (Forged of Steele #3) by Brenda Jackson

✔🌸armchair
Fall from India Place - Samantha Young - 09.04 ★★★★
...watching Ellie lower herself into my armchair. (loc: 158.7)

✔🌸crack
Sucker Punched - Kelley R. Martin - 09.03 ★★★★
I crack an eye open, (loc: 264.0)

✔🌸crust
Full Domain - Kindle Alexander - 09.19 ★★★★
Kreed lifted the thin crust pepperoni and pineapple slice… (loc: 120.0)

✔🌸compelling
Hallowed Ground - Lori G. Armstrong - 09.24 ★★★
He hadn’t seemed compelling enough to pull it off, (loc: 423.9)

✔🌸danger
I’m in serious danger of drooling all over him right now. (loc: 67.9)

✔🌸lemon
...the lemon yellow ribbons flapped merrily in the wind. (loc: 315.9)

✔🌸folk
Beyond Temptation - Brenda Jackson - 09.03 ★★★
Well, folks, this is certainly a first. (loc: 313.0)

✔🌸shine
Cole let the anger shine from his eyes. (loc: 436.7)

✔🌸silver
Beyond Temptation - Brenda Jackson - 09.03 ★★★
...if blue, black and silver were your colors... (loc: 109.0)

✔🌸toy
...hitting spots that no man or toy has ever hit before. (loc: 69.8)

Bonus/Bonus Bonus Words
Fall from India Place (On Dublin Street, #4) by Samantha Young Beyond the Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, #6) by Alexandra Ivy Heat Rises (Nikki Heat, #3) by Richard Castle Then You Hide (Bullet Catcher, #5) by Roxanne St. Claire Hallowed Ground (PI Julie Collins #2) by Lori G. Armstrong 🌸 The Forgotten Child (The Outsider Series, #1) by Lorhainne Eckhart

✔🌸bloke
A good-looking bloke in a kilt turned at her yell and grinned, (loc: 126.7)

✔🌸burial
Beyond the Darkness - Alexandra Ivy - 09.22 ★★★★
...they travel to visit the burial grounds of their ancestors, (loc: 232.0)

✔🌸degenerate
Heat Rises - Richard Castle - 09.30 ★★★
...when his words degenerate into quiet sobs, (loc: 556.1)

✔🌸paparazzi
Then You Hide - Roxanne St. Claire - 09.26 ★★★★
...celebrities who want to hide from the paparazzi... (loc: 142.5)

✔🌸pyramid
...you’ve been messing with my distribution pyramid. (loc: 218.7)

✔🌸ladybug
The Forgotten Child - Lohrainne Eckhart - 09.12 ★★★
Katy bounced on top of the bed in her pink ladybug pajamas. (loc: 177.0)

message 38: by Suzanne (last edited Sep 21, 2018 12:57PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2108 comments Romance Readers Reading Challenges
2018 September Word Hunt
Duration:
1 - 30 September 2018

Progress: 12 out of 16 (CHAMPION hunter!)

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

September

Armchair: "Zane said as he sat opposite him in an armchair." Loc 865-866
Sticks & Stones by Abigail Roux - *** - 9/21/2018 - 322 Pages

Crack: "... would pass him the butter at dinner, or hand him a hammer to hold while she hung a picture on the wall, he would look at what she'd given him, then look back at her with such expectation that her heart would crack like dry wood for him."
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen - ***** - 9/9/2018

Crust: "It looked like the world was covered in a cobbler crust of brown sugar and cinnamon. Bay hung her backpack on ..."

Compelling: "Add that compelling quality to her appearance, and the men could hardly help responding." Page 60
Vixen in Velvet by Loretta Chase - ***** - 9/12/2018 - 384 Pages

Danger: "It was only one night while watching Bay sleep, crying quietly and wondering how she was going to keep her child safe when they were in danger if they..." Page 32

Lemon: "I flew down to the kitchens and found a great and bundle of hanging rosemary and a lemon." Page 84
Uprooted by Naomi Novik - ***** - 9/10/2018

Folk: "Theatrical folk frequented the place, coming and going at odd hours." Page 265

Shine: "And risk scuffing my boots' brilliant shine?" Page 303

Silver: "The heart-tree kept growing, spreading its great silver branches through the hall, the ceiling fading away into silver rustling leaves and the terrible stench of fruit." Page 291

Toy: "A pair of mittens or a worn-out cap, a collection of broken toys—I won't find those things in your house, will I?"

Bonus

Bloke: "There's nothing like having the Hound of the Baskervilles redesign the House of Usher—after the fall, of course. Colin's head turned, seeking the source of the hilarity. I gave a little wave. “Should we go rescue your bloke, d'you think?” asked ..."
The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig - ***** - 9/20/2018 - 453 Pages

Burial: "Three times the number of guards were posted as a precaution, and it had been decided that the burial for the Jacksons would take place at daybreak." Page 276
The Lion's Lady by Julie Garwood - **** - 9/16/2018 - 360 Pages

Degenerate: "Nor did he suspect that Miles was considering replacing his hand with a boot and testing just how far one drunken degenerate could be kicked."
The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig - ***** - 9/20/2018 - 453 Pages

paparazzi

Pyramid: "Lyon grinned at Rhone, then nodded toward the pyramid of bodies at the bottom of the steps." Page 174
The Lion's Lady by Julie Garwood - **** - 9/16/2018 - 360 Pages

and a bonus bonus

ladybug

Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen Uprooted by Naomi Novik Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3) by Loretta Chase The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1) by Julie Garwood The Masque of the Black Tulip (Pink Carnation, #2) by Lauren Willig Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2) by Abigail Roux

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 39: by Emily (last edited Oct 05, 2018 12:43PM) (new)

Emily | 826 comments September
"armchair woke to see him seated in the armchair across from her, fully dressed,

Ashley, Kristen. Penmort Castle (Ghosts and Reincarnation Book 3) (Kindle Locations 2423-2424). Kristen Ashley. Kindle Edition. 9.8"
"crack crack at Vivianna Wainwright since Anthony Beaumaris approached

Ashley, Kristen. Penmort Castle (Ghosts and Reincarnation Book 3) (Kindle Location 4364). Kristen Ashley. Kindle Edition. 9.8"
"crust You can’t sit down with the upper crust with puffy eyes.

Ashley, Kristen. Penmort Castle (Ghosts and Reincarnation Book 3) (Kindle Locations 2649-2650). Kristen Ashley. Kindle Edition. 9.8"
"compelling In person, he was compelling.

Ashley, Kristen. Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountain Series Book 6) (p. 316). Grand Central Publishing. Kindle Edition. 9.15"
"dangerDeterminedly he shook his head, reminding himself sternly of the danger of such thoughts.

Jordan, Penny. Mission: Make-Over (Kindle Locations 1164-1165). Harlequin. Kindle Edition. 9.6"
"lemon Hell Tea Room in town, maybe ordering a scone with some lemon curd.

Rayne, Cynthia. Sweet Perdition (Four Horsemen MC Book 1) (Kindle Location 219). Snippy and Snarky Ink. Kindle Edition. 9.7"
"folk - farmers, as were their parents before them. We’re just simple folk.”

Ashley, Kristen. Sommersgate House (Ghosts and Reincarnation Book 1) (Kindle Locations 3025-3026). Kristen Ashley. Kindle Edition. 9.15"
"shine -deserved to have keyboards shoved where the sun didn’t shine.

Langlais, Eve. Bunny And The Bear (Furry United Coalition Book 1) (Kindle Locations 1026-1027). Unknown. Kindle Edition. 9.16"
"silver She grabbed one of the orange plastic trays and slammed it down on the silver steel rails.

Savage, Shay. Offside (p. 143). Shay Savage, LLC. Kindle Edition. 9.2"
"toy - Determinedly he shook his head, reminding himself sternly of the danger of such thoughts.

Jordan, Penny. Mission: Make-Over (Kindle Locations 1164-1165). Harlequin. Kindle Edition. 9.6+A11"

Bonus

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

"bloke “No activity. We’ve got a bloke doing the perimeter

Ashley, Kristen. Lacybourne Manor (Ghosts and Reincarnation Book 2) (Kindle Locations 6997-6998). Kristen Ashley. Kindle Edition. 9.6"
burial
"degenerate - “Criminal. Leave a pretty girl in the clutches of a degenerate like me.”

Ashley, Kristen. Lacybourne Manor (Ghosts and Reincarnation Book 2) (Kindle Locations 1249-1250). Kristen Ashley. Kindle Edition. 9.6"
paparazzi pg 13 bliss at his current location no paparazzi, no fake people Price of Fame by Hazel Gower 9.23
"pyramid - Coke cans, stacked in an elaborate pyramid on the kitchen table.

Savage, Shay. Offside (p. 189). Shay Savage, LLC. Kindle Edition. 9.2"

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

message 40: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 26, 2018 05:11PM) (new)

Fran | 11481 comments September Word Hunt

September- 6 Read

armchair
crack- David’s Selfie, location 1522, chapter 15 9/8. "The cheap IKEA ceramic cracked against the poured concrete..."
crust- David’s Selfie, location 643, chapter 5, 9/8. "Knowing all about removing crust from a kid's nostrils..."
compelling
danger- One Con Glory, location 314, 9/17. "I sense danger.....AND HACKY PLOTLINES!"
lemon
folk- David’s Selfie, location 1434, chapter 15, 9/8. "Folks who woke up in the morning and fell asleep..."
shine- One Con Glory, location 712, "...light into the room. It shines way too brightly,"
silver- One Con Glory, location 410, "The Silver Age Secret Six was a big favorite."
toy

Bonus-
bloke
burial
degenerate
paparazzi
pyramid

and a bonus bonus
ladybug

message 41: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 254 comments Finished on post #6.

message 42: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 647 comments Finished! See message #9!

Thanks for another fun month, Jane!

Degenerate drove me crazy, lol!!!!!

See you all in October! :)

message 43: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (dlbell208) | 86 comments Finished at msg #17!

Degenerate was my last holdout as well. 😆

message 44: by Peri (new)

Peri June (perijune) | 54 comments Done! See msg. #10.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

My observations so far this month as I've chased these words (and 2 of last months):

YAY! I finally found one of last month's nemeses, "hoof"!

Does every single book ever written have the word "crack" in it somewhere? I think so...

There are a lot more authors mentioning "lemon" than I'd expected.

The cars in these novels are always silver. So are the earrings.

How can I have just read a book about a school shooting where there are several deaths, and yet still haven't come across the word "burial"?

I clearly don't read enough works about degenerates.

I'll be hunting for ladybugs forever.

message 46: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 647 comments Cyndee wrote: "My observations so far this month as I've chased these words (and 2 of last months):

YAY! I finally found one of last month's nemeses, "hoof"!

Does every single book ever written have the word "..."

LOL

Definitely agree about the "degenerate" comment!!!!

message 47: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Congrats ngrats Georgina, Rissa, Deanna & Peri June!!!!

I’m travelling so a bit tardy keeping up with the thread!!

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments LOL Cyndee!!

message 49: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments I FINALLY FOUND GYMNAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1415 comments My degenerates flock together apparently. I can't find a single degenerate for nothin'.

« previous 1