Play Book Tag discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archive: Other Books > Circe - Madeline Miller 4.25/5

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Aug 18, 2018 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole D. | 1497 comments The group I follow for about Booker had this on lists as a possibility, having read The Song of Achilles I really didn't think so, but these people really know their Booker stuff so I thought it would spectacular and I put it on my list. LOL. It was really good, and I was very entertained.

I enjoyed Circe as a character, and particularly learning a mythology story I didn't know. It REALLY bugs me that Miller puts f-bombs in these stories though. It jars me out of the time and place.

Other than that, no complaints (except my cats crawling all over me as I try to write this for the 2nd time.)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments What does it say about me that the f-bombs do not even register?!

I am not a Booker savant by any stretch, but I would have never picked this for that list! Lol. Was Song of Achilles a Booker finalist?

KateNZ | 2666 comments I don’t think so - it won the Orange Prize though

Susie | 4488 comments They didn’t register for me either! I thought it might make the longlist too.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments It just doesn't seem like the "type" of book that Booker picks. I can definitely see it being nominated for some other prizes though, I thought it was very good.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9334 comments Buddy read for Circe planned for November. Kate and Meli, I already have you on my list. Anyone else want to join?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm really excited to read this book in the fall. I have been looking forward to it after reading so many reviews and how many seem to love this book. Good review.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8412 comments Amy wrote: "Buddy read for Circe planned for November. Kate and Meli, I already have you on my list. Anyone else want to join?"
I am in Amy-been on my TBR

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9334 comments Joanne! You’re in!

message 10: by Sushicat (last edited Aug 19, 2018 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sushicat | 805 comments The f*** bomb didn’t register with me either. I enjoyed it, but would not expect it to be nominated for the ManBooker.

message 11: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Should I read Song of Achilles first, or can I skip or go back to it later?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments You can totally skip around, Sara. They are not related at all.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I think this one is better all around - as NR said, totally unrelated. (except for the f-bombs)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments which by the way,k there were only 2.

Magdalena | 414 comments Amy wrote: "Buddy read for Circe planned for November. Kate and Meli, I already have you on my list. Anyone else want to join?"

I missed this before, I would love to join the buddy read as well. I've had this on my tbr for a while.

message 16: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I will join the buddy read as well.
Got the ebook, love mythology. Just trying to decide if I should read the Odyssey first (it’s one of those books I’ve always been intimidated by)