J.D. Robb discussion

Archive-BOM Noms/Polls 2021 > September Book of the Month Nominations - Closed

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10535 comments Mod
Nominations are now being accepted for our September 2018 Book of the Month. Please review the Guidelines below prior to making your nomination.

Please note: You may nominate any book from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre or from any one of the many sub genres, with the exception of books by J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts. We explore Robb's In Death series in Buddy Reads & other discussions in this group. And we read & discuss Nora Roberts books with our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies. We encourage you to join the discussions any time.

Nominations open Aug. 18-23
Poll open Aug. 24-29

Monthly Book Nomination Guidelines:

1-Each member may nominate 2 books per month. Please include a link to the book that you nominate.

2-Please - We ask that you only nominate books that you intend to read and discuss with this group!

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

4-Nominated books must be the first book in a series unless the Robb group has previously read the preceding books.

5-If your nomination wins the poll, we would love for you to consider leading the Book of the Month discussion for that month.

6-J.D. Robb and Nora Robert books are not eligible for nomination. We invite you to join us as we explore the In Death series books in our In Death Buddy Reads and enjoy discussing the Nora Roberts titles in our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies.

7-Should an issue arise that results in the winning book being disqualified, the book that received the 2nd most votes will automatically become the replacement Book of the Month.

message 2: by Christine (new)

message 3: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Aug 19, 2018 01:45AM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford, #1) by Kelley Armstrong by Kelley Armstrong

Popular fantasy author Kelley Armstrong (Women of the Otherworld series) makes her first foray into crime fiction, with the debut of a series of non-paranormal novels featuring female assassin Nadia Stafford.

Nadia Stafford is one of the world’s few female contract killers. A former cop, drummed out of the force because of a scandal, she is an expert at disguise and cool under pressure. But when fellow hitman Jack arrives on the scene, Nadia’s very private existence is seriously challenged.

A series of victims are being murdered seemingly at random all over the country — different areas, different walks of life, different MOs. There is nothing to tie them together except a random page torn out of a single book: Helter Skelter. But does the Helter Skelter killer — as the hysterical media now dub him — have a real connection to Charles Manson? Or is there something even more sinister at work?

Is this, in fact — as Jack believes — the carefully planned exit strategy of a fellow professional killer, determined to leave the life, but equally determined to clear up an old mistake? And, if so, which is the real victim?

Now, the highly suspicious and secretive hitman community will have to break their cover — at least, to each other — and help take down this killer before the cops and the Feds discover his true connection to their own secret, exclusive society…. (less)

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2553 comments You all make me crazy with great recommendations. I can't keep up.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

That's why my tbr list keeps getting longer & longer! lol

message 6: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments I nominate Varied Traits Varied Traits by Patrick Brown by Patrick Brown

After breaking up with his girlfriend and losing his father, Salem Reid leaves college after his freshman year at Georgia Southern and joins the Army. He does two tours of duty in Iraq, and then stays in the troubled region to provide security to corporate figures and dignitaries involved in the rebuilding. He returns to his hometown of Atlanta after a decade, a decorated and seasoned war veteran. All is quiet for a while as he starts his security/limo service in Buckhead. But an old high school buddy seeks his help after a depraved night out on the town, and Reid is suddenly thrust into the world of drugs, sex, deceit and murder.

Varied Traits takes us on a whirlwind tour of the streets of North Atlanta, as Salem Reid hunts down those who seek to harm his friends from both the past and the present. It is a tale that pits good against evil, right against wrong, and introduces characters who grapple with the blurred lines between sex and love.

message 7: by Linda R, (new)

Linda R, Agnieszka wrote: "I nominate Varied Traits Varied Traits by Patrick Brown by Patrick Brown

After breaking up with his girlfriend and losing his father, Salem Reid leaves colleg..."
oh I like those blurred lines

message 8: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Can't remember who nominated this book last month, but I am re-nominating it: The Ranger The Ranger (Quinn Colson, #1) by Ace Atkins by Ace Atkins.

Northeast Mississippi, hill country, rugged and notorious for outlaws since the Civil War, where killings are as commonplace as in the Old West. To Quinn Colson, it's home -- but not the home he left when he went to Afghanistan.

Now an Army Ranger, he returns to a place overrun by corruption, and finds his uncle, the county sheriff, dead -- a suicide, he's told, but others whisper murder. In the days that follow, it will be up to Colson to discover the truth, not only about his uncle, but about his family, his friends, his town, and not least about himself. And once the truth is discovered, there is no turning back.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 12 comments Looks good!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

I'll nominate: Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone by Victoria Helen Stone

A double life with a single purpose: revenge.

Jane’s days at a Midwest insurance company are perfectly ordinary. She blends in well, unremarkably pretty in her floral-print dresses and extra efficient at her low-level job. She’s just the kind of woman middle manager Steven Hepsworth likes—meek, insecure, and willing to defer to a man. No one has any idea who Jane really is. Least of all Steven.

But plain Jane is hiding something. And Steven’s bringing out the worst in her.

Nothing can distract Jane from going straight for his heart: allowing herself to be seduced into Steven’s bed, to insinuate herself into his career and his family, and to expose all his dirty secrets. It’s time for Jane to dig out everything that matters to Steven. So she can take it all away.

Just as he did to her.

message 11: by Linda R, (new)

Linda R, Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'll nominate: Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone by Victoria Helen Stone

Jane’s days at a Midwest insurance company are perfectly ordin..."

Sounds chilling!

message 12: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'll nominate: Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone by Victoria Helen Stone

Jane’s days at a Midwest insurance company are perfectly ordin..."

This sounds creepy! And - bonus - it's a KU book :)

message 13: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 222 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Can't remember who nominated this book last month, but I am re-nominating it: The Ranger The Ranger (Quinn Colson, #1) by Ace Atkins by Ace Atkins.

Northeast Mississippi, hill country, rugged and notorious fo..."

It was me and since I not read it yet, I'll leave it for next month and voted for it :-)
Jo Ann, in case it won't win would you be interested in a buddy read?

message 14: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 734 comments I ordered this book from the library, JoAnn and Agnieszka, so I'd be in for a buddy read.

message 15: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Charlene wrote: "I ordered this book from the library, JoAnn and Agnieszka, so I'd be in for a buddy read."

Sounds good to me! Anyone else want to join in?