Play Book Tag discussion

The Summer Queen (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #1)
This topic is about The Summer Queen
Archive: Other Books > The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick; 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9328 comments Cross Posted to Listopia.

I enjoyed this read. I have known little of Eleanor (Alienor) of Aquitaine, and was excited to cover some early twelfth century history through historical fiction. This year I have devoted to remarkable women in historical fiction, from Eve, Cleopatra, and Sheba, to Marie Antoinette, to Freud's Mistress Minnie Bernays, to Eva Braun, Mrs. Houdini, and Mademoiselle Channel. She also wears a red dress on my edition, which is another fun challenge for me this year.

I enjoyed the tale, and the writing kept me engaged. Easily my favorite character of the book was Alienor's sister Petronella - whose spitfire behavior intrigued and amused me. Louis as a King was weak and ineffectual, Henry seems to be growing into it. Ancient court life still appears to me to be such a beautiful romantic mystery, less so the pilgrimages to cross between them. Alliances like a huge chess game throughout time, with the roulette of whether Heirs live or are lost in battle. I kind of love it and always have.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review.:) Alliances in this life always fascinate me and it truly was like a chess game. Sometimes when I read book about court life I'm feeling what the poor women must have felt, hoping that their fathers or brothers play the right piece in the chess game. So glad you loved this book.