The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 15.10 - Ticket to Ride

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Aug 19, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
15.10 - Ticket to Ride
Ticket To Ride is a railway-themed board game. Thirty-six cities are on the board, each connected by one or two railroad lines. These lines are made up of one to six spaces, and are one of nine colors; red, yellow, black, purple (violet), white, blue, brown, green, and grey.
Roll a 6-sided die to get your number and spin the wheel to get your color.
Read a book that has the MPG genre that cooresponds to the number you rolled and has a cover that is at least 50% the color you spun according to TinEye. Directions for using TinEye can be found in post 2 of the Help thread.
Genres:
1. Romance
2. Mystery
3. Historical Fiction
4. Horror
5. Fantasy
6. Science Fiction
Ex: If you rolled a 1 and spun yellow, you could read Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella , Born in Death (In Death, #23) by J.D. Robb , or Faking It (Dempseys, #2) by Jennifer Crusie
Required: State the number and color you got and include the book's cover when you post.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2018 01:13PM) (new)

To use TinEye

• Navigate to the main page of the book you've chosen
• Right click on the picture of your book (as-is on the main book page)
• Choose "copy image address" or just "copy"
• Paste the image address in the box that says "enter image URL"
• As an alternative, you may drag-and-drop your cover image onto the TinEye page. Or, you can choose "open image in a new tab" (or window) and copy the URL in the address bar and paste that into TinEye.
• Go to https://labs.tineye.com/color/
• Click "extract colors"
• Scroll down and uncheck the box that says "exclude background color from extracted colors," if it is checked
• If necessary, add the percentages of the color of interest (found in parentheses)

Example: Rolled 1 (MPG Romance) spun yellow (cover >50% yellow)
He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan Total yellow (add the percentages that have been bolded) = 67.5 %
#fff685 58.6 % Milan (Yellow)
#f3e881 13.4 % Texas (Green)
#d9aa62 8.9 % Equator (Yellow)
#f2d6d3 4.7 % Pot Pourri (Brown)
#eece9f 4.0 % Dairy Cream (Brown)
#d43725 3.7 % Persian Red (Red)
#d96d42 2.7 % Sorbus (Orange)
#ba5d72 2.2 % Blush (Red)
#b53475 1.1 % Medium Red Violet (Violet)
#e09b90 0.7 % Petite Orchid (Pink)

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4236 comments The wheel came up purple for me. My cover comes up 75.2% violet. Would you accept violet as purple?

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Bea wrote: "The wheel came up purple for me. My cover comes up 75.2% violet. Would you accept violet as purple?"

Yes. Thanks, Bea, I had forgotten TinEye lists violet instead of purple!

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4236 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Bea wrote: "The wheel came up purple for me. My cover comes up 75.2% violet. Would you accept violet as purple?"

Yes. Thanks, Bea, I had forgotten TinEye lists violet instead of purple!"

Big sigh of relief~

message 8: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments This was a right nightmare for me, I rolled fantasy and yellow and spent about two hours trying to find a single book that wasn't:

A. Actually Red, Orange or Brown despite how it looked
B. A book that I had read many times before
C. A book that was part of a series and not the first or second
or
D. A children's book that didn't make the reading grade

Fantasy was not a good pick for yellow!

message 9: by Paula (last edited Aug 21, 2018 05:01AM) (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 542 comments Nicola wrote: "This was a right nightmare for me, I rolled fantasy and yellow and spent about two hours trying to find a single book that wasn't:

B. A book ..."

Have you tried The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts #1) by M.R. Carey ? It has the most yellow cover I can think of.

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 371 comments Have you looked at the list of yellow covered books on Listopia? It might offer some ideas.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 11: by Trish (last edited Aug 21, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2693 comments Presumably its the colour in brackets we use, so White Smoke (White) would count as white or Rose (Red), Valencia (Red) and Froly (Red) would all count as red?

message 12: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Trish wrote: "Presumably its the colour in brackets we use, so White Smoke (White) would count as white or Rose (Red), Valencia (Red) and Froly (Red) would all count as red?"

Yes, that's correct. The only colors you're concerned with are the ones in parentheses (brackets). Ignore all the weird/fancy names like Rose, Valencia, and Froly. For the purposes of this task, they're all Red.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 718 comments Nicola wrote: "This was a right nightmare for me, I rolled fantasy and yellow and spent about two hours trying to find a single book that wasn't:

B. A book ..."

You think Fantasy/Yellow is hard? Try Romance/Black! Haha. I don't read a lot of Romance as it is, so this was hard if I didn't want to read something in the 50 Shades vein. Thought I had one for sure only to find out that the background color was "Black Pearl"... which is categorized as Blue! Haha. (I found one eventually, but it took a while).

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments and that's why its called a challenge right? :)

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 718 comments Dee wrote: "and that's why its called a challenge right? :)"

Absolutely! Makes us work a little. I eventually found one, so I'm not complaining. If I could have picked the color/genre combo I certainly wouldn't have picked the one I got, but that's the whole point of this challenge - to take us outside our comfort zone a little.

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments i know i have a historical fiction book, but my work webbrowser doesn't like the colorwheel so i have to wait until tonight :(

message 17: by Nicola (last edited Aug 21, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Dee wrote: "and that's why its called a challenge right? :)"

Well true but i confess to preferring a greater range choice than i managed with fantasy/yellow, I was just unlucky in my roll!

I did finally find one though which i was beginning to despair of at one point. It looks very interesting and i might not have encountered it but for this challenge so there you go.

message 18: by Nicola (last edited Aug 21, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Paula wrote: "Nicola wrote: "This was a right nightmare for me, I rolled fantasy and yellow and spent about two hours trying to find a single book that wasn't:

A. Actually Red, Orange or Brown despite how it lo..."

That's the only one i found so it won by default :-)

message 19: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Connie wrote: "Have you looked at the list of yellow covered books on Listopia? It might offer some ideas.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2..."

Thank you for that, that was one of the lists i missed. There is another possibility in there if my library has it, it is a bit obscure looking.

message 20: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Nicola wrote: "This was a right nightmare for me, I rolled fantasy and yellow and spent about two hours trying to find a single book that wasn't:

A. Actually Red, Orange or Brown despite how it lo..."

Oh yeah that would be a sticky one. What did you find in the end?

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments I thought I was going to struggle with historical fiction and a black cover - then I found that i'd already tagged The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris for another task and it fit here with black being 67% of the cover :)

message 22: by Emily (last edited Aug 21, 2018 06:14PM) (new)

Emily | 718 comments Nicola wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "Nicola wrote: "This was a right nightmare for me, I rolled fantasy and yellow and spent about two hours trying to find a single book that wasn't:

A. Actually Red, Orange or Bro..."

I ended up picking The Chalk Artist by Allegra Goodman for Romance/Black.

message 23: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 854 comments I rolled a 6 Science Fiction and green. I don't think SF will fall off the list but you never know so I'd like to get Tell the Machine Goodnight by Katie Williams approved please.

message 24: by Amber (new)

Amber J (amberisreading) | 38 comments Hello, I've rolled a 4 (Horror) and yellow. Would The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories be acceptable? It's 80.9% according to the TinEye site (sorry if my question seems not smart, I'm new to the challenges and just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing)

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments KSMary wrote: "I rolled a 6 Science Fiction and green. I don't think SF will fall off the list but you never know so I'd like to get Tell the Machine Goodnight by Katie Williams approved please."

Sci-Fi noted.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Tiffani wrote: "Hello, I've rolled a 4 (Horror) and yellow. Would The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories be acceptable? It's 80.9% according to the TinEye site (sorry if my question seems not smart, I'm new t..."

You have the right idea, but without a link to the specific book, I can't tell you if a particular edition will work for the task. Some of them do, some of them don't. If you have one with a cover that is 50+ % yellow, then you're good.

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine | 766 comments Question about how we are using TinEye: I rolled 2 (Mystery) and spun brown. I am planning to use Heartstone for this task.

When I copy the cover image address from the book's GR page, the TinEye results are:
52.2 %Silk (Brown)
19.0 %Barley Corn (Brown)
9.1 %Cardinal (Red)
6.9 %Desert Storm (Grey)
6.4 %Thunderbird (Red)
2.1 %Copper Rust (Brown)
1.5 %Rosy Brown (Brown)
1.0 %Fire Brick (Red)
1.0 %Old Gold (Yellow)
0.8 %Old Rose (Red)

However, when I use the cover image address from a thumbnail image in a GR post like this one Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake, #5) by C.J. Sansom the TinEye results are different:
47.6 %Tide (Grey)
12.0 %Cardinal (Red)
10.6 %Ferra (Brown)
9.8 %Barley Corn (Brown)
9.3 %Fallow (Brown)
7.1 %Sauvignon (Pink)
3.5 %Korma (Brown)

When evaluating posts in the completed tasks thread, will you be using the cover images from each book's GR page, or will you be using the thumbnail image included in the post to claim points? In the case of the book I indicated, that makes a difference on if the book meets task requirements or not.

Thanks!

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Christine wrote: "Question about how we are using TinEye: I rolled 2 (Mystery) and spun brown. I am planning to use Heartstone for this task. "

Cover images from the book's GR page.

message 29: by Pam (last edited Aug 31, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I guess I am the only one who cannot get Tin Eye to work. When I copy the link and try to extract colors, I get the message "Failed to extract colors from image". I don't have an option to "copy image". only to "copy link". I've also tried to drag and drop with no success. Is it possible if I select a book, that I can have a moderator do the Tin Eye extraction?? It sounds like an easy process so I don't know why it doesn't work on my computer. Any suggestions?

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Pam wrote: "I guess I am the only one who cannot get Tin Eye to work. When I copy the link and try to extract colors, I get the message "Failed to extract colors from image". I don't have an option to "copy im..."

What book(s) are you trying to check?

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16687 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "I guess I am the only one who cannot get Tin Eye to work. When I copy the link and try to extract colors, I get the message "Failed to extract colors from image". I don't have an option to "copy im..."

when I do it, I don't have a "copy image" either - I just click plain old "copy," not copy link or copy shortcut." And that works for me.

message 32: by Diane Whitney (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Pam wrote: "I guess I am the only one who cannot get Tin Eye to work. When I copy the link and try to extract colors, I get the message "Failed to extract colors from image". I don't have an option to "copy im..."

I click enlarge cover first, then right click on the enlarged image then click on "copy image address". Haven't had any issues doing it that way, yet.

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Sandy wrote: "Pam wrote: "I guess I am the only one who cannot get Tin Eye to work. When I copy the link and try to extract colors, I get the message "Failed to extract colors from image". I don't have an option..."

When I click on just "copy", I get nothing! I've tried several books. I've also tried saving the image to my computer. Nothing works.

Kristina - I don't have a book selected yet. I was just trying to see how Tin Eye works.

message 34: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) | 221 comments Any suggestions for a horror book with a green cover? I haven't read much horror (just Dean Koontz) but I'm in the mood to try something totally out of my comfort zone this season and so I won't roll/spin again.

TIA!

message 35: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Margaret - the Green Mile is the first book that comes to mind.

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) | 221 comments Pam wrote: "Margaret - the Green Mile is the first book that comes to mind."

Thank you! I searched and #1 isn't green enough (and none of the "singles" are long enough) - but the combined edition located lower on the search results page is EXACTLY 50.0% green:

https://labs.tineye.com/color/dbc030f...

message 37: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Margaret wrote: "Pam wrote: "Margaret - the Green Mile is the first book that comes to mind."

Thank you! I searched and #1 isn't green enough (and none of the "singles" are long enough) - but the combined edition ..."

Great! You definitely want to read the combined edition anyway AND it's a terrific book!

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3972 comments Pam wrote: "I guess I am the only one who cannot get Tin Eye to work. When I copy the link and try to extract colors, I get the message "Failed to extract colors from image". I don't have an option to "copy im..."

From the "ALL EDITIONS" page on a particular book, I right click on the cover image and get a drop down box.
"copy image location" is what I click
Then in Tin-eye paste that into the box.

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3972 comments SRC Moderator wrote: "To use TinEye
Right click on the thumbnail of your book
Choose "copy image address" or just "copy"
Go to https://labs.tineye.com/color/
Paste the image address in the box that says "enter image URL..."

Okay we really need some general guidance / rule re using Tin-Eye.

For this exact example that you've given I used the thumbnail image in the post you made .... copied that location and followed the directions exactly and this is what I got:

#f7ed84 68.9 % Khaki (Yellow)
#fad5c3 6.3 % Tuft Bush (Pink)
#ce9e4f 5.0 % Sundance (Brown)
#c68e71 4.5 % Antique Brass (Brown)
#cfa66e 4.3 % Putty (Yellow)
#d27f3a 3.8 % Golden Bell (Orange)
#f7bb93 3.0 % Mandys Pink (Pink)
#fee1a5 2.4 % Cape Honey (Brown)
#d56025 1.9% Chocolate (Brown)

I would still have over 50% yellow in this example.
But I (and one or two other participants) have already run into issues in other threads requiring colors, where we post for verification and are told that the colors do not match.

Your directions say to use the "thumbnail" ... but WHICH thumbnail? From the book's main page? From the list of "all editions" of the book? Very confusing.

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3972 comments ALSO ... makes a difference if I use the book cover from the books' main page / vs. / the ENLARGED book cover from that same page.

So do we enlarge or not?

message 41: by Diane Whitney (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Book Concierge wrote: "ALSO ... makes a difference if I use the book cover from the books' main page / vs. / the ENLARGED book cover from that same page.

So do we enlarge or not?"

Thanks for pointing out my error. I only suggested it as the enlarged image was clearer and I didn't receive failure errors when I copied the address. I'll go back and re-calcuate.

message 42: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Your directions say to use the "thumbnail" ... but WHICH thumbnail? From the book's main page? From the list of "all editions" of the book? Very confusing."

This was answered in message 28, above. Use the book cover on the book's main page. Not enlarged, just the one that's on the main page.

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3972 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Your directions say to use the "thumbnail" ... but WHICH thumbnail? From the book's main page? From the list of "all editions" of the book? Very confusing."

This was answere..."

I know it was answered in a subsequent post, I was referring to your original post # 2 ... but you've now edited and clarified those directions. Thank you.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura Fazekas | 171 comments Hi There! I rolled 5 (fantasy) and Green. I've found a book that I think will work and that sounds interesting, but there aren't any genres listed on the main page. Here's the link: The Green Woman: A Scottish Fantasy. Would this book be okay for this challenge?

message 45: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1976 comments Oh, this is frustrating. I rolled 5 (fantasy) and red. I found Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke on https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2.... It looks like something I would enjoy reading. TinEye has this cover as 60.8% red. So I requested it from the library.

The copy the library gave me is Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke . TinEye says this cover is only 41.8% red.

I found someplace else to put it, but now I need to start over for this task :(

message 46: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 08, 2018 12:42AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2744 comments Julia wrote: "Oh, this is frustrating. I rolled 5 (fantasy) and red. I found Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke on https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2.... It looks like something I would enjoy reading. TinE..."

have you read the invisible library books The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2) by Genevieve Cogman this is the second in the series but they are good reads and i sure you could find somewhere for the first. I got both from the library

ETA the first would fit 5. 3 : 5.10 and could be a one book option for 15.3 (fisher price little people for title and rocking horse for author)

message 47: by Diane Whitney (last edited Sep 08, 2018 08:44PM) (new)

Diane Whitney | 570 comments Julia wrote: "Oh, this is frustrating. I rolled 5 (fantasy) and red. I found Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke on https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2.... It looks like something I would enjoy reading. TinE..."

Have you read this series, it's similar to the Inkheart series you first chose but, less YA - His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

message 48: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11017 comments Laura wrote: "Hi There! I rolled 5 (fantasy) and Green. I've found a book that I think will work and that sounds interesting, but there aren't any genres listed on the main page. Here's the link:."

No, sorry. The genre must be found on the book's main page.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura Fazekas | 171 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Laura wrote: "Hi There! I rolled 5 (fantasy) and Green. I've found a book that I think will work and that sounds interesting, but there aren't any genres listed on the main page. Here's the link:."..."

Gah! Okay, back to the drawing board. Thanks!

message 50: by Emily (last edited Sep 11, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Emily | 718 comments Laura wrote: "Hi There! I rolled 5 (fantasy) and Green. I've found a book that I think will work and that sounds interesting, but there aren't any genres listed on the main page.

I enjoyed A Green and Ancient Light, which would work for Green/Fantasy if you're still looking for something.

« previous 1