The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 15.4 - It's a Deal

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Aug 19, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
15.4 - It's a Deal
Option 1: Read TWO books.
Book 1: Read a book with "Ace" or the name of a face card (King, Queen, Jack) in the title/subtitle, series title, or author's name. Plurals and possessives will work but no other variations.
AND
Book 2: Read a book that is #2-#10 in a series. The series must be included in the Goodreads metadata.

OR

Option 2: Read ONE book that fits the criteria for both Book 1 and Book 2.
Ex: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King ~ "King" found in author's name; #2 in The Dark Tower series.
Required: State which option you used when you post.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Technically, the Ace is not a face card. I worded that wrong in my suggestion.

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Pam wrote: "Technically, the Ace is not a face card. I worded that wrong in my suggestion."

True. I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks, Pam! Fixed.

message 7: by Bea (last edited Aug 19, 2018 08:56AM) (new)

Bea | 4261 comments For option 1, book 1...author name: Would the name Jackson be OK since Jack is intact in the name?

message 8: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 19, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Bea wrote: "For option 1, book 1...author name: Would the name Jackson be OK since Jack is intact in the name?"

No, sorry, plurals and possessives are the only allowed variations for this one.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1432 comments For Option 2, will Stolen Souls work? It is #3 in the Jack Lennon Investigations series.

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Amy wrote: "For Option 2, will Stolen Souls work? It is #3 in the Jack Lennon Investigations series."

Yes, that works.

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Wayne wrote: "Can books from Jack Kerouac's Duluoz Legend series be used for option 2? Goodreads does not number them, but if you go to www.dharmabeat.com and click on Kerouac Corner, the books are listed both b..."

No, sorry, the task description clearly states that the series information must be included in the Goodreads metadata.

message 12: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 55 comments Will this work End of Watch

message 13: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 55 comments Can I get an ok on End of Watch please?

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3978 comments If it fits the task requirements you don't need an okay.

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments frugalitymom wrote: "Can I get an ok on End of Watch please?"

Sorry about that. GRs notifications letting me down... *sigh*

Yes, End of Watch works for the one book option. King in author name, #3 in series.

message 16: by frugalitymom (new)

frugalitymom  (frugalitymom) | 55 comments It’s Ok thank you!

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Tyson | 216 comments This graphic novels shows series: Giant Days #21-24 (individual issues) at the top of its page but in the metadata under series it also shows it as Giant Days #6 (collected volume)- therefore will this work for series #2-10?:
Giant Days, Vol. 6

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Nicola wrote: "This graphic novels shows series: Giant Days #21-24 (individual issues) at the top of its page but in the metadata under series it also shows it as Giant Days #6 (collected volume)- therefore will ..."

From the FAQs: 4. What's the difference between titles, subtitles, and series titles?
The title is the name of the book. The subtitle follows the title after a colon. A series title appears in parenthesis after the title and/or subtitle, sometimes with a number to indicate the book's position in the series order.
For instance, in Genghis: Birth of an Empire, the title is "Genghis." The subtitle is "Birth of an Empire." The series title is "(Conqueror #1)."

We go by what's listed on the GRs main page. In this case, the series title is listed as (Giant Days #21-24) and is, therefore, not considered to be #2-#10 in a series.

message 19: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Can I please check that Bloody Mary will work for the one book option "Jack" is in subtitle but as a contraction of Jacqueline

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11025 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Can I please check that Bloody Mary will work for the one book option "Jack" is in subtitle but as a contraction of Jacqueline"

Yes, that works. "Jack" is in the series title.