The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 10.6 - Original Six

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5364 comments Mod
10.6 - Original Six

The 102nd season of NHL hockey is scheduled to begin on October 3, 2018. Read a book set at least 50% in ONE of the home cities of the NHL “Original Six” teams: the Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York (city of) Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Required: If the setting is not obvious from the Goodreads description or metadata, please provide a reference.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

Reserved

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18263 comments Mod
Thanks!
Lists and pages are a good place to start, but you may need to read the book to determine if it is set at least 50% in a place.

message 7: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments as a hockey freak, i LOVE this task! :D

message 8: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 10, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments i am intending to read Whiskey Sour the setting isn't in this books metadata but the second in the series describes her as a chicago cop is this enough or will i have to find a reference in the book

this is in data for series - Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is a police lieutenant in Chicago. https://www.goodreads.com/series/4268...

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3978 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "i am intending to read Whiskey Sour the setting isn't in this books metadata but the second in the series describes her as a chicago cop is this enough or will i have to find a refere..."

Also several of the reviews for WHISKEY SOUR mention her role in the Chicago P.D. (including Mine)

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "i am intending to read Whiskey Sour the setting isn't in this books metadata but the second in the series describes her as a chicago cop is this enough or will i have to find a refere..."

Yes, that works. Please include the series link as a reference when you post.

message 11: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "i am intending to read Whiskey Sour the setting isn't in this books metadata but the second in the series describes her as a chicago cop is this enough or will i ha..."

Book Concierge wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "i am intending to read Whiskey Sour the setting isn't in this books metadata but the second in the series describes her as a chicago cop is this enough or will i ha..."

thanks both

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 594 comments I finished a book set in NYC. It's not in the metadata. Is a quote from the book mentioning the MC goes to Columbia sufficient? What are other options?

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Stacey wrote: "I finished a book set in NYC. It's not in the metadata. Is a quote from the book mentioning the MC goes to Columbia sufficient? What are other options?"

Would you please include a link to the book?

That quote might work.

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 594 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Stacey wrote: "I finished a book set in NYC. It's not in the metadata. Is a quote from the book mentioning the MC goes to Columbia sufficient? What are other options?"

Would you please include a l..."

I'll just find a book that's easier to locate. Thanks!

message 15: by Megs (new)

Megs (meganlikesbooks) | 69 comments Do suburbs of the city work? I was thinking of reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It seems from the synopsis that the characters live in the Chicago suburbs of Evanston and Naperville.

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Megs wrote: "Do suburbs of the city work? I was thinking of reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It seems from the synopsis that the characters live in the Chicago suburbs of Evanston and Naperville."

The setting must be within the city. If Evanston and Naperville are not within the city they would not work.

message 17: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Not a Second Chance. The series is "Toronto Series" And at 5.8% of the ebook, there's a quote:

"Finished your PhD?" he asked. "Back in Toronto for good?"
She nodded.

Is this enough, or should I look for another quote?

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Shanna_redwind wrote: "Not a Second Chance. The series is "Toronto Series" And at 5.8% of the ebook, there's a quote:

"Finished your PhD?" he asked. "Back in Toronto for good?"
She nodded.

Is this enoug..."

That works, the CN Tower on the cover helps as well.

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments I'd like to use Duchess by Design as a book set in NYC (the whole thing takes place in Manhattan and the Bowery) - the metadata doesn't explicitly list NYC as the setting but the blurb notes "gilded age manhattan". Would that be enough setting description for the task? (I don't have the book on hand atm to pull a quote)

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Melissa wrote: "I'd like to use Duchess by Design as a book set in NYC (the whole thing takes place in Manhattan and the Bowery) - the metadata doesn't explicitly list NYC as the setting but the bl..."

The "gilded age Manhattan" in the description works, please point it out when you post.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 952 comments THanks DLMRose :)