The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

63 views
TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 5.3: International Football

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5339 comments Mod
5.3: International Football

Read a book set at least 50% in a country that qualified for this summer's World Cup: Russia, Belgium, Germany, England, Spain, Poland, Iceland, Serbia, France, Portugal, Switzerland, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Nigeria, Egypt, Senegal, Tunisia, Morocco, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia, and Peru.

(thanks for typing all this out, Melanie!)

REQUIRED: State the country in which your book is set. If the setting is not shown in the metadata or book description, include a reference from the book or a link to an outside source to establish the setting.


message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:38AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5339 comments Mod
Siberia works for Russia.

War and Turpentine verified for Belgium.


message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5339 comments Mod
Reserved


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5339 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4254 comments I am considering Last of the Breed. GR notes the setting is Siberia (Russian Federation), Soviet Union. Since I am not really up on all the terminology for that part of the world, would those settings = Russia?


message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "I am considering Last of the Breed. GR notes the setting is Siberia (Russian Federation), Soviet Union. Since I am not really up on all the terminology for that part of the world, w..."

yes. Siberia is a federal district of Russia.


message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4254 comments Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "I am considering Last of the Breed. GR notes the setting is Siberia (Russian Federation), Soviet Union. Since I am not really up on all the terminology for that part of ..."

Thanks, Sandy. I am a bit chagrined that I am so ill-informed. I appreciate the help.


message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Thanks, Sandy. I am a bit chagrined that I am so ill-informed. I appreciate the help.
."


you know, in addition to finding books that I would not otherwise have run across, I find that I learn a lot from SRC tasks - always a plus!


message 9: by Emurphy (new)

Emurphy | 562 comments I'm reading Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo and it is set in Nigeria. The setting is not on the Goodreads page, but one of the main page genres is Western Africa>Nigeria. Do you need me to link a different page that mentions the setting?


message 10: by Sandy (last edited Sep 04, 2018 05:44PM) (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Emurphy wrote: "I'm reading Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo and it is set in Nigeria. The setting is not on the Goodreads page, but one of the main page genres is Western Africa>Nigeria. Do you nee..."

The main page genre reference is just fine. Mention it when you post.


message 11: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Would Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix be acceptable for England? The setting says Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (United Kingdom)


message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Shanna_redwind wrote: "Would Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix be acceptable for England? The setting says Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (United Kingdom)"

Yes, it’s set in England.


message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim | 693 comments I'm looking for verification of War and Turpentine for Belgium. There is nothing on the Goodreads page that indicates Belgium, but I did find this: Ambassadors recommend the one book to read before visiting their country

Is that sufficient proof?

Thank you.


message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "I'm looking for verification of War and Turpentine for Belgium. There is nothing on the Goodreads page that indicates Belgium, but I did find this: Ambassadors recommend the one boo..."

Sure, that seems pretty clear to me. I’ll put it in post 2 when I’m back in town and on my regular computer, and you can just refer to this when you post.


message 15: by Kaora (last edited Sep 17, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1177 comments The Sinner

It is set in Germany. It has mentioned Hamburg, Germany as the place she grew up (It goes back and forth between her as a child and her as an adult), then she moved to Cologne, Germany.


message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Kaora wrote: "The Sinner

It is set in Germany. It has mentioned Hamburg, Germany as the place she grew up (It goes back and forth between her as a child and her as an adult), then she moved to C..."


there doesn't appear to be anything in the GR description or metadata that mentions Germany. You'll need to include a quote from the book or from a review of the book to establish the setting when you post.


Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 481 comments fwiw, I just found this list of books for every country, that may be helpful to other readers for tasks like this: https://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/th....


message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "fwiw, I just found this list of books for every country, that may be helpful to other readers for tasks like this: https://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/th...."

Thanks for sharing!


back to top