Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Banker’s Wife
This topic is about The Banker’s Wife
Group Read - The Banker's Wife > Group Read - The Bankers Wife 3rd Third Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Spoiler thread #3 (of 3) for the last eleven chapters (unnumbered)
Starts with the first Zoey chapter and then alternating with Marina and Annabel chapters then the epilogue.
If the first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion.
How did you like the book?

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments (25) Zoey is working in a cafe in a small French fishing village when Julian approaches her and tells her they know what she has done.

(26) Annabel thinking Khalid must be dead flies instead to the Dominican republic intending to get to the island home of Lorenzo - the lack of transportation options may be dangerous, he sends a car.

(27) Zoey immediately borrows her uncle's old car to drive the seven hours to Paris. The leak to Duncan was her idea - she may have been Matthew's assistant, but she worked directly for Jonas. She was told to sleep with a drugged Matthew knowing they were on camera, She liked Matthew and told him of the leak to let him make his own deal. Julian followed her on the treacherous mountain road and she was able to safely crash her own car. Julian was not so lucky in his car, going off into an abyss.

(28) Marina goes looking for Hunter Morse in Washington DC finding he has been missing for four days and Agnes his girlfriend fears the worst. Hunter went to school with Matthew explaining why he was the DOJ agent he contacted; James Ellis had Grant pay Hunter $250k to get out of gambling debt and betray Matthew.

(29) Zoey has enough gas to get to a station to refuel but is identified and reported to the police. She talks to Arthur (her lawyer boyfriend, the other half of the leak) who knows they are not safe but at midnight the stories will be published.

(30) Marina and Agnes barely escape from Hunter's house through a neighbor's backyard and car. Owen has all of Hunter's evidence electronically. They are shot at while driving but are safe.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments (31) Annabel is picked up by Lorenzo and will go with him to his private island. He said Matthew helped him once and he is glad to help her. They stay overnight before going.

(32) Marina - the simultaneous publishing is accomplished. Hunter Morse was found dead.

(33) Zoey is in a safe house apartment with Arthur. They are visited by agents with the IRS and DOJ offering separate witness protection or to testify in open court and collect a 30% finders fee. They agree to testify and Zoey insists that Annabel should share in the reward and Marina must exclusively tell their story.

(34) Marina returns to her apartment in NYC, the press outside unaware of her involvement in the story. Grant inside plans to escape wearing a workman's uniform disguise and will shoot Marina before he goes. He admits that they killed Duncan and he knew Marina was meeting someone in Paris for Duncan. (Making the murder "justified") A shot and Marina falls.

(35) Annabel on the plane to the island...Matthew is alive. Lorenzo was a plant as a Swiss. United client working with MI-6 and the CIA.
And Khalid is ok, they set up a robbery to retrieve Matthew's laptop and not tip off the others. They sent Agent Block to help her find the photos that exposed the cover-up.
* Happy ever after Matthew and Annabel get new identities, lots of $$ ($50M) and a new house and sports car.

Epilogue Marina is recovering from her shoulder wound, the FBI shot Grant before he could kill her. She is with Owen, also on an island vacation. The Press magazine issue is just published with a long interview with Zoey and Arthur and a tribute to Duncan.
Another happy ending for the good guys / press.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Neatly wrapped up, this was a fast read. In the beginning I would not have predicted the happy ending for our two main female characters Marina and Annabel.
Was the message that money buys happiness? Ok that comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but i must note that being young, beautiful and rich was the reward for taking down the criminals all doing criminal things for huge piles of tax-free laundered clean cash.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments Yes, happy endings all around for Marina, Zoe, and Annabel. Probably not the most plausible of outcomes but high on the feel good factor and made the book seem even more like romantic suspense in the end.

I did like the fast paced plot though continued to have reservations about character development til the end.

Russ | 339 comments Good point about the HEA ending.

Based on the descriptions I read before reading the novel, I thought this book would be about three women. But in reality, it was really about Marina and Annabel. Zoe felt like a bit of an add-on to me. Not sure I connected with her.

But, overall I liked it. A high-stakes, international financial thriller. I wouldn’t say the plot twists were surprising, but the story remained engaging, and yes, it was a quick read. A nice diversion.

Thanks, Ann, for making it a group read!

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments I wish Zoe would have gotten more page time. I think her background and how she really set a lot of the action in motion were a bit more interesting than some of the details we were given about Marina.

I agree that it was a good quick read and am glad it was a discussion pick.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Sandi and Russ: I am glad we selected it too and more background about Zoe would have been welcome, what she did took some guts. It still surprises me that Marina and Annabel didn't connect. ;)
Now for my Jonah / Julian comment: I assumed two characters were written to allow for "good cop / bad cop" interactions with Annabel. I saw Julian as designed to gain her confidence and get intel from her on what she knew.

Russ | 339 comments That makes sense, Ann. I think one of them should’ve had a name that didn’t start with the letter J!

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Russ- yes! I would have preferred character names that were more overtly different too.
Russ wrote: "That makes sense, Ann. I think one of them should’ve had a name that didn’t start with the letter J!"

Bruce Perrin | 131 comments Just a couple of final thoughts to add to the thread.

First, almost I felt like the book was misnamed. You could make a case that Marina was the main reason the case was solved. Or Zoe, as the mastermind behind the leaks. But Annabel? Although at one point, she swore she would make the bad guys pay, I felt like she spent most of her time trying to stay alive. Yes, she was a great window into the evil side of offshore banking, but she didn't seem to move the plot forward like Marina or Zoe. Just not sure that "Reporter for a Banking Whistle-Blower" makes for a good title.

The story went a bit downhill for me at the end. The bad guys (the bank and the politicians) got too powerful - it's just hard to believe this level of corruption and no one until Zoe said a word. And the CIA, IRS letting Annabel twist in the wind while her husband sat on the beach? I can't see that. And how did the bank have so much inside information about the true backers of these shell companies? I thought lawyers set up shell companies so no one would know?

But overall, it was well paced and suspenseful. It just seemed a bit over the top by the end.

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Bruce: good to know your thoughts too! I agree, Annabel was more of a vehicle to move the story along or a reflection into the international banking world. Even though she had a larger share of the named chapters than Zoe did certainly, or a similar count as Marina, she was not as integral to the action as the title suggested.

In reflection I also found the initial introduction of Annabel and her mysterious banking husband of the title less likely to be the hero of the story than the investigative journalist and her former Navy Seal husband. Grant's betrayal of so many things still irks me.

Bruce wrote: "Just a couple of final thoughts to add to the thread.
First, almost I felt like the book was misnamed. You could make a case that Marina was the main reason the case was solved. Or Zoe.."

Bruce Perrin | 131 comments Yeah, seriously I wondered if Alger avoided putting the investigative reporter in the title role because that has been done so much. In any case, it was a nice read ... and it won't have been as good if Grant hadn't been such a jerk.

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Bruce: Good point; as irksome as he was, Grant did certainly provide tension and action in the end with his betrayal of Marina. I think it was the flavor of romantic suspense that was turned upside down - the Navy Seal is usually a hero. (At least in the books I have read) which underlines the hybrid difference of this novel.