Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Banker’s Wife
This topic is about The Banker’s Wife
Group Read - The Banker's Wife > Group Read - The Bankers Wife 2nd Third Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Spoiler thread #2 for the next twelve chapters (unnumbered 13-24)
Alternating Marina and Annabel chapters - 6 sets of two
If the first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Aug 21, 2018 09:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments (13) Marina Duncan's source is providing a lot more leaked evidence, so much data that Owen suggests they need more help indexing and visually presenting it. Marina reluctantly agrees.

(14) Annabel goes to London to see Fatima's brother and retrieve Matthew's belongings he left at Fatima's home. She also takes Matthew's laptop to her friend Khalid.

(15) Marina at a NYC Police event Grant's father James is announcing his candidacy for the US Presidency and tells Marina to quit her job.

(16) Annabel returning home discovers her apartment in Geneva has been ransacked, nothing seems missing - except for the decoy laptop she had locked into Matthew's desk drawer. She calls Julian.

(17) Marina and Owen discuss logistics and merits of publishing the story. She is quitting and gives Owen the byline. Angry he tells her that Grant's father James is part of the leaked data with offshore money and criminal ties. He knows who has been following Marina.

(18) Annabel Jonas comes immediately after Annabel called Julian about the break in. He opens up on his own tragic losses and insists Marina come home with him. Julian also comes, no one calls t he police.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments (19) Marina goes the James's home to alert him of the impending story to break including his involvement. He is combative and threatening and reveals his anger at Duncan and knowledge of what Duncan was working on. He accuses Marina of being a plant and is happy Duncan is dead.

(20) Annabel Julian reveals they followed Zoey to this apartment questioning what they talked about and shows Annabel photos of Matthew in bed with Zoey. Heartbroken she tells them Zoey has the laptop after they accuse Zoey of masterminding the leaks.

(21) Marina returns home, confronted by an angry Grant for forgetting their anniversary dinner. Grant doesn't believe his father could be involved in the criminal activity. Marina walks out on him.

(22) Annabel stalling before leaving the apartment, she remembers Matthew told her the frame of the painting he recently bought is valuable. She finds a usb drive and a loving "I must be dead if you are reading this" note from Matthew.

(23) Marina goes back to Owen and reveals she is back to help publish the full story and had secretly recorded James admitting his guilt and implying involvement in Duncan's murder.

(24) Annabel is terrified she won't be safe in Jonas's house, gets to the airport after secretly changing her flight to the US to include a London layover before going to meet with the DOJ contact in Washington DC. Khalid calls before she boards warning her away from the DOJ contact before being cut off.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Lots of drama in this segment - on the audio some of the dialogue between the characters seemed a bit choppy at times ( not as free-flowing as the more action filled scenes)
Marina and Annabel haven't interacted with each other - not even indirectly which I had not expected - not a big deal, just mildly surprising. I kept expecting they would.
They both have similar parallels with their being a) beautiful, b) a former career woman or soon to be in Marina's case - who are giving up their own career for their spouse/ fiancee, c) alternating between independence and submissive behavior.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1237 comments Marina and Annabel are definitely the same type. I too keep expecting that they are going to team up.

This section was quite the page turner. I was a bit exasperated with both M & A at various points during this section but am eager to see what happens next.

Grant's role has been pretty passive so far and I wonder if he is ever going to become a fully formed character. Though frankly most of the men characters are a bit two-dimensional.

The whole journalistic angle has seemed too easy with the stories ready to go. I assume something will soon be going wrong.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Sandi: agreed, the male spouse/ significant other characters are less developed (though I suppose with Matthew being dead in the plane crash, he gets a pass).
I like that the focus is on the Marina and Annabel characters, the parallels and differences are of interest. I am giving them both passes too. (For the exasperating moments)

I did start to think a few times that developments (Like between Marina and Owen or Annabel and Khalid) ) were leaning toward more of a romantic suspense rather than a straight thriller. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just unexpected.
The ease of getting an organized journalist response coordinated did sound a bit too easy and quick didn't it?

Sandi wrote: "Marina and Annabel are definitely the same type. I too keep expecting that they are going to team up.

This section was quite the page turner. I was a bit exasperated with both M & A at various points during this section but am eager to see what happens next.

Grant's role has been pretty passive so far and I wonder if he is ever going to become a fully formed character. Though frankly most of the men characters are a bit two-dimensional.
..."

Russ | 339 comments I'm still enjoying the premise of an international cover-up of offshored wealth. Naturally, rooting for the truth to come out and for the women to be safe.

Having said that...

Ann wrote: "...They both have similar parallels..."

Yes, a bit uncanny. If it weren't for their different names and circumstances, Marina & Annabel basically come across as the same character. Intelligent women in relationships with men they love, yet unsatisfied about something, then they are all threatened by very powerful men, getting help from some other guy in the process, but ultimately having to take matters into their own hands.

Still annoyed by Jonas and Julian. Why couldn't they just be one character? At Annabel's house, they seemed interchangeable. Maybe the final section will justify having two characters there.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15073 comments Russ: very interesting call-out about the redundancy of Jonas and Julian and the similarities of Marina and Annabel's beauty and "having it all" until all is threatened and betrayed -- their actions on occasion grated on my nerves.
I have an opinion on the two characters Jonas and Julian which I will hold to the last segment to comment. :)
Russ wrote: "I'm still enjoying the premise of an international cover-up of offshored wealth. Naturally, rooting for the truth to come out and for the women to be safe.
Having said that...
If it weren't for their different names and circumstances, Marina & Annabel basically come across as the same character. Intelligent women in relationships with men they love, yet unsatisfied about something, then they are all threatened by very powerful men, getting help from some other guy in the process, but ultimately having to take matters into their own hands.
..."