Play Book Tag discussion

The Last Tudor (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #14)
This topic is about The Last Tudor
Archive: Other Books > The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4642 comments The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory - 3 stars

This is my first historical fiction by Philippa Gregory. You may ask why I would start with book #14 in a series. In attending our weekly trivia game, one of the questions had to do with the name of the Queen of England who lasted but nine days. We knew the answer was Lady Jane Grey, but did not know much about her life, so decided to investigate further, and this book came up in an online search. This book is basically a character study of the three Grey sisters, with approximately a third of the book devoted to each.

The storyline is filled with political intrigue, imagined and real conspiracies, religious differences between “Papists” and “Reformers,” and rationale for various claimants’ rights of succession to the throne. I enjoyed the historical part of this novel, learning more about Jane, Katherine, and Mary Grey than I had known previously, along with prominent families such as the Stewarts, Dudleys and Seymours. Unfortunately, there’s only so much action to be found when one is confined to the Tower of London or placed under house arrest. Visitors or letters were used as vehicles to relate what was happening off stage. Elizabeth is portrayed as a one-sided villain, a capricious ruler who locks up her cousins due to jealousy. I found it repetitive and the ending felt rushed. It contained references to items and knowledge that didn’t exist in the 1500’s and communications would have taken much longer back then. Even so, it held my interest through fifteen audio discs, and it spurred me to look up more about these historic people. The narrator of the audio book, Bianca Amato, did an excellent job of portraying many characters with distinct voices. I plan to seek out non-fiction about the lives of the Grey sisters and Queen Elizabeth I to see how much of The Last Tudor is based on fact and learn more about this period in English history.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I wrote an essay on Lady Jane Grey in grade 10 and have been fascinated with her since! My VHS (yes, I still have a way to play those!) of the movie "Lady Jane" (Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes from the mid 80s, I believe) seems to have disappeared over the course of a couple of moves, so that makes me sad. (The DVD is stupid-expensive if I wanted to replace it.) The movie takes a LOT of liberties, though!

I really liked Alison Weir's Innocent Traitor about Jane. It's a fictional one by Weir (though Weir also writes a lot of nonfiction), but it made my favourites list the year I read it.

I'm going to peruse through what else I have to see what nonfiction I might recommend. :-)

Joy D | 4642 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I wrote an essay on Lady Jane Grey in grade 10 and have been fascinated with her since! My VHS (yes, I still have a way to play those!) of the movie "Lady Jane" (Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes..."

Thank you! I will put Innocent Traitor on my TBR list.

message 4: by LibraryCin (last edited Aug 17, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Hmmm, it looks like most of what I've read about her has been fiction. One of the nonfiction books was one I read way back in grade 10 when I was writing that essay, so I don't recall enough about it to actually recommend it!

The other nonfiction I've read about her is The Sisters Who Would Be Queen. This does, of course, also include more about her sisters, as well.

Oh! Forgot about this one. Another Alison Weir, but nonfiction. But this one includes Henry's kids: Mary, Elizabeth, Edward, in addition to Jane:
The Children of Henry VIII.

Looks like I rated both of those 4 stars.

message 5: by Joy D (last edited Aug 18, 2018 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy D | 4642 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Hmmm, it looks like most of what I've read about her has been fiction. One of the nonfiction books was one I read way back in grade 10 when I was writing that essay, so I don't recall enough about ..."

Thank you for the recommendations! I added The Sisters Who Would Be Queen. In the blurb it states that Philippa Gregory used it to research information for The Last Tudor.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments I only gave this one 2 stars-I think it was because I just had enough of Gregory's writing...lol