Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > i need help!!!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments I needed to switch to a pen name for work reasons ( i teach) and took down all of Jillian Anselmi books and switched them, with new asin #s to Kate Kinsley...someone combined Jillian and Kate and i need it removed immediately. i could lose my job over this - and now the only books i see on my page are Jillian and not Kate! HELP

message 2: by Scott (last edited Aug 17, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Scott | 25002 comments If books are republished under a new name, that name can be added as a secondary but the first published name must remain. It is GR policy.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments new asin#
i took those books down

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments i was told something different when i changed my pen name - and i know quite a few people who have done the same. i can get fired for this

message 5: by Scott (last edited Aug 17, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Scott | 25002 comments Book do not get "taken down." GR is a catalog, not a store, and lists old, out of print editions as well as new. It is here for people to keep track of their reading activity.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments that's fine. but i published a book under Kate after Jillian was gone, and Jillian is attached to that book. WHy?

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments Kate Kinsley is a separate account from Jillian. New asin. New covers. they should not be combined

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25002 comments If they are the same book, they are combined.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25002 comments Librarians are required to follow policy, or lose their position. If you believe an exception is warranted, you would need to contact GR support directly via this link:
https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments unless you're a moderator, don't comment. i want a comment from a moderator

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Please do not get other librarians to do the changes against the policy.
If you want to wait for moderator response please wait for it before doing the changes.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments Jillian should not be added to Kate. Jillian had separate covers. then someone added her to rescuing Montana which was never released under Jillian.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments and what is the policy exactly?

message 14: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments what if I add bonus content and change the name

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments this is for work. i can get fired

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45458 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "unless you're a moderator, don't comment. i want a comment from a moderator"

This is a public group, and any group member can reply to a post.

As has been explained, revised content -- even with a new title and other revisions -- is combined with previous editions on Goodreads.

message 18: by Olivia (last edited Aug 17, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Kate wrote: "what if I add bonus content and change the name"

Does't make any difference.
Even revised and extended editions need to be combined.

If there are any legal issues with your books you will need to contact support.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments is there a phone number I can call?

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45458 comments Mod
No, you'll need to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate Kinsley (katekinsleyauthor) | 12 comments why aren't the books coming up on my dashboard, and why can't i change the primary editions?