Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Banker’s Wife
This topic is about The Banker’s Wife
Group Read - The Banker's Wife > Group Read - The Bankers Wife 1st Third Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Aug 20, 2018 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Spoiler thread #1 for the first twelve chapters (unnumbered) which is close to 46% of the book...
Alternating Marina and Annabel chapters - 6 sets of two
If the first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion.

message 2: by Ann (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments The Prologue describes an airport scene where a flight to Geneva on a private plane is covertly monitored and apparently crashes in the Alps.
Marina Tourneau’s introduction chapter reveals an ambitious journalist on the cusp of quitting her job and getting married, but doing one more thing for her coworker on the hunt for a big story.

Annabel Lerner’s introduction chapter reveals a wife who is in Geneva with her Swiss Banker husband, she is the Banker’s wife. Annabel formerly worked in the art world of New York, now living a lonely life of luxury while her banker husband works long hours until Swiss authorities come to inform her of his apparent death in a plane crash.

(3) Marina - Duncan's request to meet an informant was accomplished. Later when back with Grant she hears her coworker Duncan was murdered.

(4) Annabel - Annabel is in shock and can't believe Matthew is dead and tries to learn more of the woman, Fatima Amir. She is told it was an accident. Julian White is another private banker and a friend helping with arrangements.

(5) Marina - an FBI agent contacts her to discuss Duncan's death. With the usb she was given and the murder she is nervous and she and Grant head back to NYC

(6) Annabel - visits Agent Block to get information about the plane crash. He shows her photos that will confirm the accident and where they found the black box. She insists she needs the photos for life insurance and is reluctantly allowed to take them. She is followed by someone working with Jonas, Matthew's boss who is suspicious and looking for Matthew's laptop.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments (7) Marina - is questioned extensively about her coworker Duncan when passing through Swiss Customs. She makes it through with the USB. She knows she is in trouble after the questioning.

(8) Annabel - Matthew's memorial service is an ordeal, his death is a shock. She leaves with a colleague of Matthew's - Lorenzo Moira (spelling?) she has questions about Fatima,the woman who owned the private plane. He tells her not to trust Matthew's coworkers Jonah or Julian. She connects with Matthew's assistant Zoey.

(9) Marina - Duncan's funeral is an opportunity for Marina to connect with Owen another investigative journalist who may help her with the usb drive she brought from Paris.

(10) Annabel - Zoey brings Matthew's laptop and reveals that he was a whistleblower. She is leaving the country, suggests Annabel leave too and reveals details of the Swiss Banking criminal clients and that Jonah had something on Matthew - knowledge that his father committed suicide after being investigated for fraud. Zoey is followed.

(11) Marina - Owen and Marina start compiling their information. Marina goes to Duncan's house with a police detective friend Miles, also suspicious of the death and push to close the case as a robbery. Marina eludes a tail and visits her parents.

(12) Annabel - arrives in London, met by her friend Khalid. They discuss what Matthew may have been mixed up in. Khalid will help get into the laptop. MI-6 agents are nervous about Annabel getting in the way.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Whew -- keeping the alternating non-numbered chapters straight while listening to the audio is hard! I think I've finally got the sequence right now. The story so far is compelling. I am certain I got the spelling of many of the names wrong. :)
It will be interesting to see how Marina and Annabel connect with each other and how they will avoid revealing what they are doing to the wrong parties.
So Marina's fiance Grant is from a rich powerful family and his father aspires to the US Presidency. Who thinks that his family may end up with a stake in the Swiss bank secrets staying secret?
Will former Navy Seal Grant use his skills in a future "situation"?
And, who can they trust?

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments Thanks for the summaries Ann. I bet it was hard to keep everything straight with no chapter #'s or sections.

I decided to just go ahead and read the e-book since the audio version had so many holds.

So far, I am interested in what is going to happen. Like you I think Grant's father is going to be mixed up with the bank and most of the characters in Europe except for Khalid seem shady in one way or another.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Thanks Sandi: I really liked the narration and the audio drew me right in with this section.
I immediately was interested in both Marina and Annabel and what will happen. They are similarly dealing with the changes in their time or engagement in their much loved careers - from now being married or engaged to a man with a more powerful job. The powerful positions their significant others have offer perks but downsides as well, giving them something that may not be worth the sacrifice of their own careers.
Those questions regardless of gender are not uncommon (though not usually with this level of money or power for an average couple!)

For the summaries, lucky for me Overdrive named the chapters by character so I could go back and start each to jog my memory of it. Getting them down in the right order was crazy. I posted and deleted several times until I think it is mostly right. After that I was diligent to take a few shorthand notes in each.
It turns out charter named but unnumbered chapters are easier than just unnumbered chapters with no names. Lol.

Russ | 339 comments It doesn’t help that the Swiss bank has employees named Julian & Jonas. One good, one bad. Couldn’t keep track of which was which there!

But off to an interesting start. I can see how the bad guys would view the bank data as a secret worth killing for. Is the culprit the Swiss bank or Assad? Time will tell.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Agreed Russ: the Jonas and Julian characters were another factor to keep straight. Figuring out if there was anyone to be trusted was a challenge!
Russ wrote: "It doesn’t help that the Swiss bank has employees named Julian & Jonas. One good, one bad. Couldn’t keep track of which was which there!

But off to an interesting start. I can see how the bad guys..."