Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > Who is your favorite classic short story horror writer?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Hastings (ellishastings) | 4 comments As the name implies, who is/are your favorite (or up to top 3) classic horror short fiction author(s)?

I have a two-way tie for my favorite; H.P. Lovecraft, and Algernon Blackwood.

My favorite Short Story is "The Willows"

message 2: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6593 comments M R James

Liked so many that its hard to pick a favorite

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 185 comments Top 3 favorites

1. Edgar Allen Poe
2. Bram Stoker
3. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

message 4: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11288 comments Mod
it's really hard to narrow that down to a few. ambrose bierce, charlotte perkins gilman, ralph adams cram.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 332 comments Latasha wrote: "it's really hard to narrow that down to a few. ambrose bierce, charlotte perkins gilman, ralph adams cram."

Agreed. For every thought of Bierce or Blackwood or Lovecraft or either of the James boys, I could counter with Walter de la Mare, Fritz Leiber, L. P. Hartley, Shirley Jackson, John Collier, or a dozen others.

message 6: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) If I had to name 3?
MR James
Arthur Machen
Robert Aickman

message 7: by Kel (new)

Kel Midthnaetitulla | 39 comments Edgar Allen Poe is just so special to me...equally is HP Lovecraft. I remember being a kid and thinking that there were some depraved kindred spirits out there. Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Roald Dahl...those were all names I would search out at the library as a kid.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul | 17 comments There's a whole slew, but Poe always holds first place. It's who I started with, and who I happily return to on occasion

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 336 comments Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments Theodore Sturgeon.

If you have not yet read the short story "Shottle Bop", you are doing yourself a great disservice.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments Corinne wrote: "Anita wrote: "Theodore Sturgeon.

If you have not yet read the short story "Shottle Bop", you are doing yourself a great disservice."

Looks available here for free. online viewing
https://www.unz..."

Very cool! I first read it in a short story book about 30 years ago, and I go back and re-read it about once a year. I still have the book!

The Supernatural Reader by Groff Conklin The Supernatural Reader

message 12: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 217 comments Harlan Ellison is generally listed as SF, but he's got a fair few awesome horror stories. "Grail" and "Croatoan" are two of my favorites.
Charles Grant, Robert Aickman, Michael Marshall Smith are all fantastic. I also love Ligotti, Laird Barron and John Langan.
Two I admire greatly but have never quite clicked with are Joyce Carroll Oates and Ramsey Campbell; they are amazing and beloved, but very cold, subtle and surreal. There is a distance in their prose I can't quite traverse.

message 13: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Hastings (ellishastings) | 4 comments How could I not add Bierce. Probably my all-around favorite.

message 14: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11288 comments Mod
Yay! Much love for Bierce!

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 185 comments Robert Kratky wrote: "Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson."

How did I forget Matheson. I want to re-do my list of three.

1. Richard Matheson
2. Edgar Allen Poe
3. Bram Stoker

message 16: by Ellis (new)

Ellis Hastings (ellishastings) | 4 comments Ah, damn. I love too many. What have I done? WHAT HAVE I DONE?

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 336 comments and... how could I have left out Charles L. Grant?????

message 18: by Jeff McIntosh (new)

Jeff McIntosh | 168 comments E.F. Benson
M.R. James
F. Marion Crawford

message 19: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 332 comments Jeff, I see your Benson, James and Crawford and raise you a Karl Edward Wagner, Kathe Koja and Jonathan Carroll.

message 20: by Jeff McIntosh (new)

Jeff McIntosh | 168 comments Koja I haven't read much of.....Carroll I don't know at all....

Wagner....I loved his early shorts on Kane, and still have a book or two here by him. I can remember when he edited the "DAW" horror series back in the 80s.....

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 332 comments Koja's Extremities: Stories is a powerful collection. It's not all horror, but these are dark stories all the same.

I haven't read all of Carroll's The Panic Hand: Stories, but the title story, "The Sadness of Detail," "My Zoondel" and "Black Cocktail" are powerful stories.

Wagner's Where the Summer Ends: The Best Horror Stories of Karl Edward Wagner, Volume 1 (pretty much a repackaging of his earlier In a Lonely Place with additional material) is an extraordinary collection of horror stories, including a couple of novellas. Readers who know him only for Kane are missing out on "The River of Night's Dreaming," "Sticks," "Beyond Any Measure" among others

message 22: by Jeff McIntosh (new)

Jeff McIntosh | 168 comments I LOVE Wagner's "Sing a Song of Valdese"..I think the title is. A favorite.

Jeff

message 23: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 332 comments I've only read a couple of the Kane stories, "Undertow" and "Two Suns Setting." I'll keep that one in mind when I get back to them.

message 24: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 572 comments Randy wrote:

I've only read a couple of the Kane stories, "Undertow" and "Two Suns Setting." I'll keep that one in mind when I get back to them.

While I’ve enjoyed most of the Kane stories, if forced to choose, “Undertow” would be my fave.

message 25: by C.a. (new)

C.a. Anderson (caanderson) | 93 comments Edgar Allen Poe, Ray Bradbury, HP Lovecraft, Bram Stoker.

message 26: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (murrongrimm) | 3 comments Ray Bradbury, Glen Hirshberg, Michael Marshall Smith & Darrell Schweitzer.