YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Humans
This topic is about The Humans
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > The Humans by Matt Haig - Restarting September 10th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Body-snatching has never been so heartwarming . . .

The Humans is a funny, compulsively readable novel about alien abduction, mathematics, and that most interesting subject of all: ourselves. Combine Douglas Adams’s irreverent take on life, the universe, and everything with a genuinely moving love story, and you have some idea of the humor, originality, and poignancy of Matt Haig’s latest novel.

Our hero, Professor Andrew Martin, is dead before the book even begins. As it turns out, though, he wasn’t a very nice man--as the alien imposter who now occupies his body discovers. Sent to Earth to destroy evidence that Andrew had solved a major mathematical problem, the alien soon finds himself learning more about the professor, his family, and “the humans” than he ever expected. When he begins to fall for his own wife and son--who have no idea he’s not the real Andrew--the alien must choose between completing his mission and returning home or finding a new home right here on Earth.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Starting now :)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48915 comments Mod
I'm in an audio slump.... -_-

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Aw man :( with this book or just audios in general?

Audios in general. I'm still 2 audios away from starting this one.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Just take your time, there's no rush :) I can't listen to that many audios in a row normally, it's impressive the amount you do listen to xD

Yeah I haven't listened to any today, or really any yesterday... I'm just not in the mood.

So I'm not forcing it.

Just put this one on hold, shouldn't take long to come in.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments I'm going to try and make myself read some more of this today as I haven't got very far at all, I'm not very motivated to pick this one up. I'll keep going a little longer and see if it changes my mind!

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments I think I'm going to carry on.

21% (view spoiler)

Sweet! I've told myself I've got to get out of my audio slump, so that's the plan. I should have my challenge audio done today, so that tomorrow on the drive home I can start and finish My So-Called Bollywood Life and then get to this one.

message 13: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments I’ve been reading The Complete Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and am on book 6.. but need a break and I have this book. Will join you and start reading now! This is my first buddy read.. usually I am not good with commitments so I avoid them lol but I’m so bored and can’t pick a book! Been searching and downloading for days ... just wandering lol! Can’t wait to update!

message 14: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments So I’m not big on audio am reading the book.. the preface is awesome laughing 😆
> Let us open our minds entirely, for what you are about to read will need every prejudice you may have to stand aside in the name of understanding.
Will Do!

Oh no haha this book could make me mad, but that does sound interesting!

You know to use spoiler tags right?

message 16: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Maddison wrote: "Oh no haha this book could make me mad, but that does sound interesting!

You know to use spoiler tags right?"

Yes lol I saw your note after I posted. That one quote is like on the first page that’s why I left it uncovered. Why does this book make you mad?

message 17: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Up to Chapter 4 curious like Skye.. I made 2 big posts then realized they were redundant and I was highlighting everything lol so now I’m going to relax and read. Maddison-It is very interesting! I like that it’s from the POV of an Alien trying to be human, many funny moments. And yet so many serious moments like geez his observations of humans are spot on.. and other times they aren’t.. esp emotions.

Yeah no worries that quote isn't a spoiler :)

I just haven't read it yet haha. I'll start it soon.

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments 41% (view spoiler)

This one's my next audio :D

Alright I'm starting this now.

4% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments 65% (view spoiler)

I'm glad I've got some updates to read :)

11% (view spoiler)

I could never be smart enough to write a book like this XD

13% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ wrote: "I think I'm going to carry on.

21% [spoilers removed]"

XD I'm rather enjoying it.

28% (view spoiler)

Alright time for some more.

36% (view spoiler)

message 31: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Maddison wrote: "11% [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Maddison wrote: "I'm glad I've got some updates to read :)"

Me too! Yeah! Now we are in the groove! I am still on Chapter 4 because I started Ancestors of Avalon (Avalon, #5) by Diana L. Paxson

message 33: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments I enjoyed his view on cows and (view spoiler)

Yeah I like that quote :)

message 35: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Maddison wrote: "4% [spoilers removed]"
Yes I AGREE (view spoiler)

Nope I still have no idea XD

✨Skye✨ wrote: "41% [spoilers removed]"

Well technically (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Maddison wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "41% [spoilers removed]"

Well technically [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, I guess just talking about those he has relationships with, I'm not sure whether to say the alien or Andrew xD

Yeah XD I'm 67% in, will finish up tomorrow. Thought it might be tonight, but it's not XD

Will finish this up tomorrow. Could finish it tonight but not in the mood. I am loving where it's headed though!

67% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ wrote: "65% [spoilers removed]"

I just can't wait for (view spoiler)

79% (view spoiler)

97% (view spoiler)

message 44: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments 21% Wow you got super far Maddison I’m just catching up! Just read bout the
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Maddison wrote: "✨Skye✨ wrote: "65% [spoilers removed]"

I just can't wait for [spoilers removed]"

Me too! I’ve wondered about that (view spoiler)

message 46: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Maddison wrote: "13% [spoilers removed]" (view spoiler)
If not (view spoiler)

message 47: by Mkittysamom (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Skye I don’t know whether to call him Andrew or Alien either? Should we make up a name?

Yeah I'm so confused about the hypothesis too XD What even is it. But I love the humour! Reading your super long comment was so entertaining!

I'm flying through because I'm doing the audio and I listen on 3x speed. Will finish in a few minutes, I've got legit like 4 minutes of listening left!

Yeah I know now what happened XD

message 50: by Mkittysamom (last edited Sep 25, 2018 04:22PM) (new) - added it

Mkittysamom (mkittysabkworm) | 48 comments Found the Reading Group Guide and Made a Printable or Google Doc copy https://docs.google.com/document/d/10...

Or the webpage is here

« previous 1