World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Is international ass-licking dead?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16089 comments Yeah, there are still Europeans with their subtle diplomacy and 'soft power', but with leaders, having a more radical approach, entering the scene of international politics, it seems the air of courtesy, softness and politeness might be over and a hippie festival of global peace, embrace and money may give way to a new power race with less pleasantries and more ultimata, sanction, raw force, etc. What do you think?

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Well, Canadian PM Justin Trudeau did his best to stay polite (but firm) in the face of Trump's insults and added tariffs against Canada, but it seems that politeness with Trump only gets you more insults and verbal attacks. French President Macron did his best to be friends with Trump, but only got a knife in the back. As for Trump's treatment of Angela Merkel, well... Trump has swept civility and normal diplomacy off the board and it is now biting him back. When I think that his 'base' is cheering him up for that!

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16089 comments I wouldn't even single out Trump on this, as we often see the same approach coming from other 'new wave' of politicians

message 4: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin You mean like Maduro in Venezuela, Duterte in the Philippines and the new right wing guys around Europe? Rudeness, brutishness, right wing extremism and demagogery now seems to become the norm around the World these days.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16089 comments Yes, the tone has become more militant and confrontational as opposed to global friendship or fraternity felt or pretended some time before. In a way maybe it's sometimes also more candid than sugary - poisonous-:)

message 6: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic (igorljubuncic) | 12 comments I have to say the title enticed me to join. Secondly, I was thinking of a completely different topic - I thought thi was an actual competition, on an international level.

Lastly, on topic, I don't think any fundamental has changed in the world politics in the past, say 2,000 years more or less.

Igor

message 7: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2331 comments This sort of America First isolationism comes and goes every couple of generations as it does around the world. Everyone will get it out of their systems and/or we'll face another global event that pulls us all back together and the pendulum will swing back to peace and unity. I wouldn't say the straining of international relations we're seeing today is a permanent, long-term trend.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16089 comments Igor wrote: "I have to say the title enticed me to join. Secondly, I was thinking of a completely different topic - I thought thi was an actual competition, on an international level.

Lastly, on topic, I don't..."

Hi Igor and welcome,

Glad some of our titles attract unaware members (although I won't rule out that some members might not have liked it) -:) Well done on your prolific and diverse literary work!
Yeah, I can see how an 'ass-licking' can be viewed as a competition of a sort whether in foreign relations or within organization's hierarchy.

Hope you'll enjoy and contribute

message 9: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic (igorljubuncic) | 12 comments Thank you.

My contributions will be directly proportional to the enticeful nature of titles of discussed topics :)

Igor

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 214 comments After Trump's meetings with Kim and Putin, surely ingratiating ass-licking is demonstrably alive and well?

message 11: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Definitely! International high-level ass-licking makes for a particularly interesting geopolitical spectacle.

message 12: by Ian (last edited Aug 18, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Ian Miller | 11811 comments I am going to disagree with the other Ian re Trump meeting Kim and Putin. I think these were merely photo-ops where both sides lied to each other and had no intention ongoing through with anything, although I could be wrong with the Putin meeting because there is not actual evidence ANYTHING was actually said.

As Michel said, it was all spectacle, and possibly an attempt to delay things in the hope attention would go elsewhere. For Kim, that sort of worked and he has probably bought a few months before everything starts up again. The Trump Putin meeting was probably a waste of time for both of them because Congress has the bit between its teeth over Russia. Gotta have Space Force for some reason, otherwise the poor Military Industrial Complex will have to actually produce something that ordinary people want, and heaven protect them from that disaster.

message 13: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6184 comments Welcome, Igor. Hope you find more enticeful titles here.

Ian, I agree with you. The meetings with Putin and Kim were for show.

And, Nik, is "ass-licking" the new term for "brown-nosing?"

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16089 comments Aye, enriching the vocabulary with useful synonyms translated from other languages-:)

message 15: by Igor (last edited Aug 19, 2018 02:46AM) (new)

Igor Ljubuncic (igorljubuncic) | 12 comments Also known as yesmanship or yesmancraft or yesmanlore.
Igor