Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > A&U Giveaways - August

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 78 comments It's been a while between giveaways, but well worth the wait as we've got advance copies from some of our biggest authors up for grabs including Kate Morton and Jodi Picoult!

It's less than a month until Kate Morton's The Clockmaker's Daughter is published, and we've still got a few advance copies available for anyone keen to read her latest captivating mystery.

In October, Jodi Picoult returns with A Spark of Light, another powerful and provocative novel about ordinary lives that intersect during a heart-stopping crisis as a gunman storms a women's reproductive health clinic. Jodi tackles this with a daring narrative structure that counts backward through the hours of the standoff, and presents a complicated issue in a gripping and nuanced manner.

One for young and old, Lenny's Book of Everything by Karen Foxlee, Lenny's younger brother has a rare form of gigantism and while Lenny's fiercely protective, it isn't always easy being the sister of 'the giant'. This is a big-hearted novel about finding good in the bad that will break your heart, while raising your spirits in the way that only a classic novel can. Read with tissues to hand.

For some lighter reads, we've got some crackers for you:

After her much-loved debut Goodwood, Holly Throsby returns with a compelling mystery set deep within the hearts of Cedar Valley and its inhabitants. "This is a masterful novel…readers who loved Goodwood will find even more to love here." says Books + Publishing.

After a long wait, Kerry Greenwood returns with intrepid baker and erstwhile investigator Corinna Chapman in The Spotted Dog as Corinna faces an underworld gang of drug runners. Between her forays into danger, there is still time in Corinna's life for tender encounters while the delicious aromas of newly baked breads, muffins and treats waft out of her bakery, Earthly Delights.

How does Bridget Jones meets The Exorcist in Twin Peaks sound? That's a good way of describing the devilishly entertaining new novel from the acclaimed filmmaker, screenwriter and author of Rush Oh! Shirley Barrett. Darkly funny, deeply unsettling and surprisingly poignant, Shirley Barrett's The Bus on ThursdayThe Bus on Thursday is a strange and wild ride for all fans of Helen Fielding, Maria Semple, David Lynch and Stephen King.

You can learn more about all these books, and request one (or a few) of them, over on our website: www.allenandunwin.com/aussie-readers.

Also, for anyone looking for some gifting suggestions for Father's Day - we've got a round-up of our faves here, including the chance to win a number of book packs.

Are any of these leaping out at you? And have any of our other recent Goodreads giveaways captivated you? Thanks to anyone who's been reading and reviewing our books, always lovely to see and much appreciated.

message 2: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1785 comments Some good looking books, A&U! I'm hoping to snap up a copy of The Clockmaker's Daughter ASAP but Cedar Valley looks good, too!

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8456 comments I'd love a copy of The Clockmaker's Daughter so will definitely enter for that one. The Bus on Thursday, A Spark of Light and Cedar Valley all sound great too!

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 72366 comments Mod
Thanks so much A&U - some fantastic choices for August!

message 5: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8728 comments A veritable smorgasbord again!!

message 6: by Sharah (new)

Sharah McConville | 463 comments Cedar Valley sounds good. Enjoyed her other novel, Goodwood. The Clockmaker's Daughter sounds great too.

message 7: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 413 comments You have so many great ones to choose from this month....now, what to choose : )
Thank you

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments Lenny's book of everything looks a good read

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1894 comments oo Kate Morton writing about a group of artists! That sounds right up my alley...

message 10: by Nicki (last edited Aug 17, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments I would love a copy of The Clockmaker's Daughter if you still have them. I just applied online.

Amy (ms_voraciousreader) (ms_voraciousreader) | 5 comments I'm sooo keen for the Kate Morton book! Many of the others look great as well. Here's hoping I get lucky with at least one!

message 12: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 328 comments Thank you so much A&U .. I've entered for one of my favourite authors Kate Morton...

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf) (melsbookshelf) | -41 comments WOW what a give away!!!

message 14: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments Thank you for these giveaways. Your publishing house is releasing great novels. I am starting to select my novels on publishing houses. never did this before.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 87 comments Thank you A&U. You always have such wonderful books and giveaways. Wow! My Fav would have to be A Spark of Light as I am a huge Jodi Picoult fan. But they all sound great. :)

message 16: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 2526 comments Holding breath here for The Clockmaker's Daughter. I always enjoy Kate Morton's stories!

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4835 comments Fantastic giveaways. Thank you A&U. Good luck everyone 😊

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 20, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

I have entered

message 19: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Thanks for the opportunity A&E, a great selection. I have entered :)

message 20: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kyliemaree) | 878 comments Ooh! Kate Morton and Jodi Picoult in the one giveaway! Wowee! Thank you so much A&U, I will be most certainly entering this one! You do spoil us! :)

message 21: by Dale (last edited Aug 28, 2018 07:47PM) (new)

Dale Harcombe | 6125 comments Thanks A&U. Great giveaway. I would really love a copy of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult.
Some of the others look good too.
Have already read The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton and review is ready to go up when publication day rolls around. A good read.

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8456 comments I'm very excited to have received a copy of The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton. Such a beautiful cover. Thanks so much A&U!

message 23: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 6125 comments So, so excited! A copy of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult arrived today along with another book from A&U. Thanks heaps A&U. My problem will be keeping from reading it straight away and ignoring other books here.

message 24: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 6125 comments Carolyn wrote: "I'm very excited to have received a copy of The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton. Such a beautiful cover. Thanks s..."

You should enjoy that one Carolyn. I did.

message 25: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 2526 comments I was reading all your comments and wondered how you'd found out who won, and then my husband brought the mail in!

WOW! I have two lovely new books The Clockmaker's Daughter (which is gorgeous) and 2028 - which isn't "lovely" as such but looks very funny.

THANK YOU A&U!

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done Dale!!

message 27: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 6125 comments Thanks Brenda. Since I am a big Jodi Picoult fan, I am delighted. Gotta love A&U!

message 28: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 6125 comments PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I was reading all your comments and wondered how you'd found out who won, and then my husband brought the mail in!

WOW! I have two lovely new books The Clockmaker's Daughter (whic..."

Congratulations. Have fun Patty.

message 29: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8728 comments Patty, I'm sure you will enjoy 2028

message 30: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 2526 comments Marianne wrote: "Patty, I'm sure you will enjoy 2028"

I've had a quick look at the first few pages and at your review, and I reckon you're right!

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Dale wrote: "Thanks Brenda. Since I am a big Jodi Picoult fan, I am delighted. Gotta love A&U!"

I'm the same Dale - loved her last one!

message 32: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments Great give away here is hoping to get one to read.

message 33: by marlin1 (new)

message 34: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments I received The Clockmaker's Daughter today. Can't wait to read it. Thanks Allen & Unwin. I will share on Instagram shortly.

message 35: by cherryjellybeans (new)

cherryjellybeans (cherryandjellybeans) | 20 comments Currently enjoying 2028 also, might enter for the spotted dog for a friend.

message 36: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments I got home from work today to find A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult and The Spotted Dog by Kerry Greenwood! Squeeeeee, so excited. Thanks so much Allen & Unwin.

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4835 comments So excited to to receive my copies of The Bus on Thursday by Shirley Barrett, Lenny's Book of Everything by Karen Foxlee and A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult THANK YOU SO MUCH A&U. Looking forward to reading all of them😊

message 38: by Sharah (new)

Sharah McConville | 463 comments I received Lenny's Book of Everything and How to be Perfect. Happy about both but especially Holly Wainwright's as it's the sequel and I read the first book recently.

message 39: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments Thank you Allen and Unwin for my 2 books. The Bus on Thursday and A Spark of Light. Going on holidays next week, so these will be packed.

message 40: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (silphil) | 39 comments Thank you so much A&U!!! Got A Spark of Light in the mail yesterday, can't wait to get started!

message 41: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 328 comments Thank you A&U recieved my copies of Hey Brother and The Clockmaker's Daughter..very excited to read these.
About to start The Anomaly that I received last month :)

message 42: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1894 comments Excited! I have just received my copy of The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton , thank you very much Allen and Unwin.

I could not resist starting it at once, it is really impressing me so far!

message 43: by Deb (new)

Deb | 215 comments WOW! The Clockmaker's Daughter and Lenny's Book of Everything have arrived at my door. Thank you so much. I was ready to dive into The Clockmaker's Daughter, but once I read the Lenny blurb, I have to start with that book.
Thanks again.

message 44: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1785 comments Sounds like a lot of us have been spoiled! Thanks A&U! :)

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf) (melsbookshelf) | -41 comments Totally spoiled! Thanks A&U

message 46: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 78 comments So glad you're all enjoying receiving your books, hopefully the contents will be just as enjoyable.

For anyone still chasing an early copy of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult, you can read the opening chapter & try to win a copy here.

More advance copy giveaways coming next week, with new books from big names like Minette Walters & Barbara Kingsolver!

message 47: by Deb (new)

Deb | 215 comments Big names is right!! Minette Walters and Barbara Kingsolver!
You have got me curious now.

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Allen and Unwin wrote: "So glad you're all enjoying receiving your books, hopefully the contents will be just as enjoyable.

For anyone still chasing an early copy of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult, you can read the ope..."

Can't wait for the new Minette Walters - thanks A&U!!

message 49: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8728 comments Allen and Unwin wrote: "So glad you're all enjoying receiving your books, hopefully the contents will be just as enjoyable.

For anyone still chasing an early copy of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult, you can read the ope

More advance copy giveaways coming next week, with new books from big names like Minette Walters & Barbara Kingsolver! ..."

Yep, both of those are on my wishlist!!

message 50: by Deb (new)

Deb | 215 comments I finished Lenny's Book of Everything. It is so good!!

« previous 1