Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Golem & the Jinni: 5 Stars + 4 ♥

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker

The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

add a few ♥ ♥ ♥ as well for good measure

Let's be honest (as you know I will be): I had this book when it came out, but because of all the reviews I read in one of my Shelfari Groups which were going on & on about the "literary" quality; blah, blah, blah, blah, blah; I put the book back into the book sale. I didn't read, not one review that actually told me what the book was really about, had I, I would have read it much sooner.

Hence Four (4) years later, I found it again in the book sale & I have finished it in two days and I LOVE IT & Will Keep This in my Personal Library.

A female Golem is made for a man as his wife. En route to New York he awakens her, but then he dies and she is free. A kindly Rabbi finds her, takes her in and names her Chava... She gets a job in a bakery; the Rabbi dies & she continues her life...

In the desert of the Middle East a Djinn is entrapped in a copper flask by an evil wizard. The flask passes down from one generation to another until it reaches a tinsmith, who while repairing it releases the Djinn. The Djinn becomes Ahmed & works with the tinsmith (who is a jerk, but hey) increasing the tinsmith's business & his bank account

The Djinn & Golem meet and become "friends"... they have their nocturnal adventures through New York and are working through their relationship when the maker of the Golem arrives in New York & attempts to take control of her.

This is "Golem:Jinni For Dummies"

The book was rich with legend, history and romantic, Bedouin, Jewish, Syrian, Ghetto (not like slums but melting-pot neighborhood), & privileged life.

The pace was actually fast, the relationships well thought out, the writing redolent of heady "Arabian" & fantastical nights, survival, the nature of the mystical, & the etheric qualitative beauty of mystical love.

I'm ready to read it again..... Now I understand there is a sequel, but I am not ready for that, as I usually find sequels disappointing.....

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I loved it too, more than I thought I would. I hope she can back it up with the sequel. We don’t want another Rosie Project in our hands.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments An all time favorite!

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2298 comments Like you, I had this a couple of times (from the library in my case) and never got to it. When I did - wham! - fell in love. An all time favorite for me too, just like Amy. There is a sequel planned and I just looked it up - a little more than a year away I guess. :-( The Iron Season

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 17, 2018 01:03PM) (new)

Love your review and humor.:) I absolutely loved this book. So much so that after borrowing it from the library to read I went out and purchased a copy to have of my own. Another all time favorite for me. I cannot wait for the sequel.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5153 comments Love this book too!

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8417 comments I also have had this book for a while, started and never finished, just because I has other books to read for challenges. I just gave it to a friend to take with her to Istanbul, I hope she brings it back.....

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Joanne wrote: "I also have had this book for a while, started and never finished, just because I has other books to read for challenges. I just gave it to a friend to take with her to Istanbul, I hope she brings ..."

I hope so too, I've never seen it in the book sale before last week

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6387 comments I was rather 'meh' about this one.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I liked it a lot and think a reread would be good; I think there are depths I didn't appreciate with just one read.

message 11: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I'm so glad you liked this one, and I am so glad there is going to be a sequel!